.204 Ruger

boomer68

Handloader
Oct 23, 2006
Just getting ready to load for my M700 VSSF II and looking for some suggestions. What would a good powder and bullet be to try first?

Have you shot some factory ammo yet? Which did your rifle prefer, the heavy or light bullets?

Seems odd to consider a 40 grainer "heavy" but... :grin:

BL(C)-2 has done well for me as have several different bullets from 32 - 40 grains. Real world velocities of 3900 fps are not difficult to achieve.

I have a 204Ruger in a Savage heavy barrel varmit rifle. I tried several different loads with 32gr Hornady V-Max and Nosler BT bullets. I ended up with the suggested best load by Sierra of 27.9 grs of Benchmark. From a half-ass rest I can shoot 5 shots you can cover with a dime at 100yds. I also get 3980FPS at 20 feet over my chronograph. I have been using V-Max bullets as I got a bunch of them for a really good price. The Noslers did well also.
I have some 40gr Nosler BT bullets but have not tried them yet. It works so well with the 32gr ones I have not felt a need to work up a 40gr load yet since it is used on ground squirrels. If I decide to use it elk hunting then I would go with the heavier bullets :wink:

The Benchmark powder gave the best speed preformance by a narrow margin. NO powder I tried would break the 4000FPS mark on a constant basis. The factory Hornady 32gr loads would. But I am close and it is cheaper than buying factory ammo.
Now I want a barrel in 204Ruger for my Encore pistol......Right after I get a 500S&W barrel.

My 2 Cents

I use 27gn of H322 and the 32gn V-Max, GM205M in my 204 Ruger Savage 12FV. Velocity is an average of 3962fps

varget or blc2 is the flavor used round my parts usually varget unless you use a progressive

my 700 actually like the 45 gr softpoints but I wasnt looking for a 204 when I bought mine so its ok

I got some factory 40gr Hornady V-Max ammo that I will try. I also have some 26gr Varmint Grenade and 30gr Berger. Thanks for the load suggestions guys, much appreciated!

I use the 40 Ballistic Tip with 27 grs IMR 3031. Shoots under MOA in CZ American rifle. Oh, and I get about 3650 fps ten feet from the muzzle.

I use win748 and the 32 gr vmax. I get 4200 fps and .3" groups.

Back