.224 bullet suitable for deerhunting

Dorfen

Beginner
Mar 17, 2011
Hi!

I'm looking for a bullet suitable for deerhunting (roedeer). I'm aware of the 60 gr Partition, but it wont work out of my Sauer 202, 223R with 1:10" twistrate. Actually i don't know anyone who mannaged to work up a precise load with this bullet.

Does anyone in here know if Nosler is planning on making a BT-Hunting or an AccuBond in .224 caliber? It would be SO NICE if they did...

Best regards

Dorfen

Dorfen

Welcome to the forum, glad to have you here.

The 224 calibers can kill deer but are considerd varmint and predator rounds. The 60 gr PT is a very robust bullet and has been known to give complete on NA deer, even through the shoulders. The BT bullets are designed for varmint hunting and are not recommended for deer. I agree with you, a 55 gr AB would be a great bullet but is not offered at this time.

JD338

Hi!

thanks for your repleys! If any of you know a good load for the 60gr PT out of a 223R I be glad to hear about it!

I know that the 223R is considered as a varmintround in the states - but in Europe many hunters use it for roedeer wich it's perfect suited for with the right bullet!

Hopefully Nosler will bring a AB (55, 60 or 65 grains) to the 224 caliber program in the future.

Best regards

D.

A 1-10" 223 should stabilize the 60gr Partition. The place i would start is 26gr of varget and probably end development. in my 18" 1-9" it is 2950fps

I had decent luck with the 60gr PT and Benchmark also. I don't have my book right here, but out of a 16" M4 they were going 2900. Varget and H4895 were pretty decent also. Scotty

Thank you very much - i'll see if I can get some of the powdertypes youre refering to - they're not that common here in Europe... normaly I use Vithavuory and Norma powders... Maybe that PT should have another try!

D.

Well if I was in your shoes, I'd start with what every Vithavuory stick powder had a burn rate the closest to 4895, and work from there.

I think that if you run into the 60 grain hornady you should give it a try. It did give .4 inch 5 shot groups out of a .222 remington with a 1/14 twisted 24 inch barrel. I was shooting imr 3031 powder. Velocity was only a blazing 2800 something fps though.

a company called barnes makes a bullet called the tsx which should work for you in the 45 and 50 grain weights.

A while back Hornady had a bunch of 60 gr TAP bullets they wanted rid of. A call to their tech shop resulted in someone saying they were deadly on deer sized game. No personal experience with these on deer. I will defer to wiser heads.

Dorfen":2uw7hj9t said:
Thank you very much - i'll see if I can get some of the powdertypes youre refering to - they're not that common here in Europe... normaly I use Vithavuory and Norma powders... Maybe that PT should have another try!

D.

The 60gr Nosler PT is the only one I would use in a .223 on smallish big game.
Give VV N-130 a try,,,, while I haven't tried with 60 gr.PT, my .223 loves that powder.
It does extremely well with all 3 , 40gr. 50 gr. and 55 grainers. I suspect the 60 would as well, albeit, maybe on the upper end of weight limit for that round. I haven't looked up the data, but would think starting load would be around 22 grs. as I have found it runs real close with H322 on data,,except for faster velocity. Very accurate in mine too!
I wish it was easier to get here locally.

Dave

Get you some 55 gr SPT Sierra GAME KINGS not the varmint bullet. It will say GAME KING on the box. They have a tougher jacket and will work fine for killing your deer.

I know this is a Nosler forum but Speer makes a wonderful 70 grain RN bullet that works extremely well on deer sized game.

Back