25-06 from 270 Win brass

orchemo

Handloader
Dec 13, 2006
I traded into a 25-06. Not sure why I need a 25-06 but will shoot it some before making judgement.

I have a bunch of 270 Win brass. Can I just run them the a FL sizing die for a 25-06 and be good to go?

Not knocking the 25-05. Just the I already have a 243, 6.5 Swede and a couple 7mm-08s

I don't see how it could be an issue. I would say if the brass is real hard you anneal them first, but I would think it should be a one pass operation. Never done it though, so I'm all ears.

The 25-06 is alot of fun. I get to shoot the wife's pretty often and it seems to love RL19 and 22 with the 115-120 weights.

Sure, you can easily make 25-06 brass from 270 Winchester brass. I have done it just for an experiment and it works fine.

However, be aware that you will have some trimming to do. The over all case length on the 270 Winchester is 2.540 inches. The over all case length of the 25-06 is 2.494 inches. So, you will have to trim the cases . Not a big deal, but a necessary evil.

"However, be aware that you will have some trimming to do. The over all case length on the 270 Winchester is 2.540 inches. The over all case length of the 25-06 is 2.494 inches. So, you will have to trim the cases . Not a big deal, but a necessary evil."

Aw shucks! Ya beat me to it. :lol: I was gonna say the same thing.
Yes, you do have to trim after converting them to 25-06. After that they work just fine. I fin the 25-06 to be a fun cartridge.
Paul B.

Thanks guys. I have a couple hundred 270 brass and no 270 rifles. Will re-size and trim some.

Cheers

My 25-06 is loving Rl19 and Sierra 87gr bullets. I am going to try some PT's soon. I think they will be great. It is a fun rifle to shoot.

What the other guys said plus this: it should be to your advantage to resize .270 brass vs. anything in the way of once fired from some other source - either from the range or purchased. It's actually better than pre-sized new brass, which can be undersize if you have a long chamber. Because you are sizing the neck down, you can very precisely control the fit in your chamber so there is zero slop prior to the first firing. This will greatly increase your brass life. I have been doing just that (.270 Win to 25-06 Rem) and it is the best brass I have for that rifle. I turned necks because I'm anal and wanted to even them up, but they were not too thick beyond the norm. Sounds to me like you've got a good supply and if there are no .270's around there shouldn't be confusion either. I take a fine tip Sharpie and mark the extraction groove all the way around with some loud color anyway. Have fun!
EE2

My Grandad's 25 caliber wildcat was a 25-270 because there was no 25-06 brass at the time. Little trimming when using 270 brass.

Back