25 wssm

barefooter19

Beginner
Jan 30, 2006
Hi all What is your favorit loads for this gun. I know I will have to work it up but what have you found that works good . what compo????? :?:

Barefooter,

The 25wssm does not draw a lot of responses on this site. I have one in a Win Coyote. Currently trying to close the pattern with 85 gr NBT. Shot a ladder and am working with the low node at 41.6 gr H4895. I have been using WLR primers. Last evening I shot 4 groups with different COAL. The shortest bullet at 2.336 was the most consistant with still over an inch between the two widest of 5 shots. I was disappointed. I will continue to work on it though, and look forward to seeing more posts from you.

I have used 110gr. accubonds 44gr. Imr 4350. cci LR. I have been getting about 1 inch groups. at 200 yards. I also killed 160 in. whitetail with it last fall. 26in. barrel heavy barrel.

I am impressed with your results and may try IMR 4350 with the 110 AB. I have been shooting the ABs with my 24" bbl but didn't have time to tune up a load. I used BL-C(2) and had a hunting accurate load that killed three deer, three hogs and two coyotes in a very efficient manner. I intend to fine tune before next season but am concentrating on the 85 gr NBT right now. If I hit on something good I will post. What gun are you shooting with a 26" hvy bbl?

It is a winchester but I don't know the model off the top of my head. I will get back on that. M-70 someting.

Tom,
Just out of curiousity what load did you use with bl-c(2) just picked up a jar to try . I liked the velocity vs the lower pressures listed on the hodgdon site

kenscot,
I haven't loaded any ABs since I did a big batch before hunting season. I couldn't find any data so I interpolated between 100 gr and 115 gr loads from Hogdon's site. I think it was 41.0 gr BL-C(2) but there has been a lot of water under the bridge since then. I am at the office, or I would go check my notes for you. The load never shot under and inch on paper but also missed only once, (a shot that was squeezed off on a nervous turkey's neck!) I did the math, loaded five rounds and when I got acceptable results I pressed 40 rounds which got me through the season. I hope to find time in the next couple of months to run a ladder around that load and fine tune for next year. I have been working up a load with the 85 gr NBT for my 25 wssm but am currently sidetracked by a new TC .223 bbl. I would appreciate information on any favorable results you come up with and like to share my wisdom/ignorance with anyone interested.

I had a Win M-70 25wssm since May of last year. It would shoot around 1" to 1 1/4" with about any factory ammo I tried in it. Whether it was the 115 gr ballistic tip, or the 110 AccuBond, 1" was the best I could get and usually it was a little more than that. The best shooting factory ammo was the 120 gr Win P.E.P., It consistently shot 1". The worst was the 85 gr Win Supreme, it was lucky to shoot 2".

I spent several months tring to develop a personal handload that would shoot better. Never came up with a thing. I shot hundreds of rounds, loaded with all kinds of powders and about every .257 bullet you can think of. No matter what I tried, 1" was about the best I could get, and that was pretty rare. Most loads shot in the 1 1/2" neighborhood. I'm speaking of 100 yds range in all my testing, so call that 1 to 1 1/2 MOA if you prefer.

I did some work on the fore end and had the trigger adjusted to 2 lb pull by a gunsmith. No matter what I did I couldn't seem to improve on factory ammo. Most of my loads were worse than factory stuff. I've had good success on all my other rifles, in developing loads that shot below 1/2", but not the 25.

I traded it off a couple months ago. I know 1 to 1 1/2 MOA is plenty good for Deer hunting etc, but I was expecting better than that. I didn't get it, so I traded it. The 270 Wby I traded for is already shooting 1/2 MOA with minimal experimenting.

Back