257 Weatherby and 25-06: Opinions wanted

rjm158

Handloader
Oct 15, 2009
I currently own two 25-06's (Sauer 202 and Tikka T-3)both of which shoot very well and I have no complaints with either.

Recently I was in a Bass Pro Shop and on their clearance rack was a Weatherby Vanguard synthetic in .257 Weatherby Mag for $349. I have never owned, shot, used, or reloaded any of the Weatherby calibers but have heard nothing but good things about the 257.

I really like the performance I've gotten from the 25-06 over the years on whitetails which is what I hunt most. Still, the Weatherby intrigues me but I would have to invest in dies, brass, etc to reload it. I called a friend who owns both and his advice was to leave the Weatherby alone and experiment with some of the new powders in the 25-06 to enhance it's performance.

Some of my hunting areas are open fields/pastures while others are combinations of timber and open spaces.

So, my question is this: if you were me, had two 25-06's, and were primarily going to hunt deer, would the Weatherby offer anything real world that would justify spending the money or would you stay with what you have?

Thanks in advance.

Ron

Ron,

I'm an aficionado of the 25 Whelen.

If you are prone to shots over 400 Yards the Weatherby would be one to consider I think.

Vince

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 25-06 would work just fine for me. Nothing wrong with the 257 Bee, and that is a good price. Nevertheless, with two 25-06 rifles, I would be well set for deer.

It is a common problem that many of us rifle loonies suffer from;

If it ain't broke, don't fix it...or
Do we do it because we can and we want to.

If you want to play with a new rifle/cartridge combination, then that is reason enough.
If you are happy with what you currently have and it has suited your needs to date, then there is your answer.

Either way, only you can ultimately decide which is the right answer for you.
Have fun and enjoy your rifles and/or your new acquisition!

While you are interested in the opinion of others...
I cannot speak to the 25-06, as I have neither owned or played with the caliber yet, I am having fun playing with my 250 AI (but still have much to accomplish with it).
I have not yet played with the 257 Wby either, having opted instead for. a Browning B-78 rifle chambered in the 270 Wby, that I acquired from a friend once he found the same cartridge chambered in a Ruger #1.

With 100 gr bullets, it will outperform the 257 Wby in velocity, while also being able to handle heavier bullets for larger game such as moose and elk.(Although I have only harvested mule deer and coyotes with it to date). It is fun to shoot and I'm working up loads with 110 gr AB's and TTSX's at 2850 fossil out of the 28" barrel, producing 1" groups at 100 yards. This load still packs close to 2000 ft.lbs of energy at 500 yards.

I have no problem using the 257 Weatherby with 100 TTSX's for just about any game. That said, the 25-06 is a great caliber.

Load development for the Weatherby calibers is usually easy. Approach max at book coal and go shoot little groups or reach out and touch something!

Not sure what bullet weights you want to shoot at deer but here is a load I will be using this fall , for LR deer hunting using one
Of the newer types of powder (per Scotty suggestion) in my 25/06, so you can compare it to some of your own loads?
WW cases, Reloader 25 powder, Speer 120gr BT bullets with their nearly .500 BC, I am over 3200fps out of a 24" barrel with 60.5 grs, slight preasure on primers, just over moa. 59grs , no preasure 3165fps , moa. And 58.5grs showed 3130 avg and just under moa. With that kinda velocity and the BC of the bullet, I feel pretty confident that a 500yd shot is certainly do able, and even a 600yd shot, if the wind is favorable, is not off the table! I am Not sure how this compares to your loads? Or even a standard 257 Bee loadings ? But I am guessing after trying 4831SC in my gun, I was getting MORE preasure signs, and about 125fps LESS vel with it compared to this newer Reloader 25....... As you are well aware these loads are probably WAY over what is published loads, so you would want to consider all that drama, before working up to ANY of them??? I am shooting them from a Rem 700 SPS rifle, and find them safe in MY rifle.
If I were to leave the .257 arena ( and I wont be) it would be towards a .264 instead of the .257 just to be able to shoot all those fantastic 6.5 bullets!! The Sendro in .264WM comes to mind imeadiately!
However with all that said if your leaning towards the world of glossy stocks, and belted cases, the best Buck I ever saw shot in my life was killed with a .257 Weatherbee Mag at 350 yds, we were on the Yaak river out of Troy , Mt.
Almost up on the BC line. It hit him a mighty smash, not unlike it had been hit with a .270 at 250 yds.
The price of that gun is unbeatable, buy it, and resell it even if you dont want it!
E
Here is what that buck looks like! Left beam has bend down on that side, giving him 28" inside spread!
IMG_20160311_080525.jpg

Just do it Ron.. That 257 Weatherby is very impressive with 120's and a slow powder of your choice. I've got a 25-06 and it is a great performer, but after working with the 257 WBY a little it is a fun one.

Thanks for all the replies, fellas.

Most of my shooting will be 300 or less I'm thinking, but a lease I've been invited to hunt has some pastures that would stretch that a little. So far, my longest shot ever anywhere was 230 yards and the 6.5x55 Tikka killed the buck without issue. I'm not looking to start shooting stuff WAAAAY out there but as I said, I like what the 25-06 does to deer and thought the Weatherby might be more of a good thing. I'm trying to decide if the extra investment is worthwhile or if the money would be better spent on powder and experimentation. I don't NEED the Weatherby but since when has that been a prerequisite? :lol:

I've always used 100 gr. BT's but figured in the Weatherby I would look into the 110 Accubonds or the 115 BT's.

Thanks again, guys.

Ron

Ron - like some others here, I've got experience with both the .257 Wby, and the .25-06 cartridge.

With a good .25-06, there is no "need" for the .257 Wby, but if you want it... Go right ahead. It's a fun cartridge, still running hard after all these years.

That .25-06, well-sighted, can handle mule deer out at 400 yards without even a hold-over...

The .257 Wby, is more of the same. (y)

It is more expensive to load and shoot, but it's also a lot of fun. Barrel length on the Wby rifle you're considering? I'd think the 26" barrel might be more impressive, giving all that powder a little more tube to work in...

Regards, Guy

I've used the 25-06, .257W and 257 Roberts Improved. I've killed game with the first two, vermin with the last. I used the 115 Partition and 100 TSX in the 257W, 117bt in the 25-06 and 120HP in the Roberts. Since you have two familiar rifles, you simply "have to try" some of these new powders we now have! For the ranges you mentioned, you have no "need" for the 257w. Now, there is also the option of having one of your 25-06s rechambered to 25-06 Ackley Improved OR, do what I did...my first 257W was a rechambered 25-06 Mod 700 Classic, 24" bbl with the bolt face opened up, M16 (Sako style) extractor added and a magnum magazine follower. I shot my first Blackbuck antelope in Texas with it a tad over 375yds, no holdover. This was with the 115. I shot a Black Hawaiian ram at 250, drt same bullet and later on with a different yet still 24" bbl 257W and the 100TSX a bigger Black Hawaiian ram but at 75yds. I believe a 25-06 would have done the same job, especially with a 100gr TTSX or Ballistic tip. That 110AB looks swell too. I still think it takes a 26" bbl 257W to really outstrip a 24"bbl 25-06. But man oh man...these new powders are something else, you just have to try them!! You simply have to! :twisted: (y) :grin: ha Good luck to you Pard.

Guy Miner":hqbfbi0m said:
Barrel length on the Wby rifle you're considering? I'd think the 26" barrel might be more impressive, giving all that powder a little more tube to work in...

Regards, Guy
The Vanguard will be a 24 inch barrel.

I suspect that if your current 25-06 is a 24 inch barrel, and the Weatherby is the same, you will not see a drastic difference in speed. You could probably check ammo specs to see what the difference might be, though they and Weatherby likely use 26 inch barrels to test the 257 Wby. I suspect that it will be 100-200 fps difference.

I, too, have owned both. My current 257 is a Mark V with 26 inch barrel, and shoots exactly at the speeds that Weatherby advertises using their ammo. I sold my 25-06 because I didn't think I needed it any more once I bought the Weatherby and it proved to be very accurate.

...in theory, a .257 Bee using the 115gr. BT will get you another 100ft.lbs. & 1" less drop over your .25-06, using a lot more powder to do it. On the other hand, a new rifle, a new cartridge to load for has a value of it's own...

Well, the decision was made but for an unexpected reason.

My wife's mother passed away 16 years ago, before I met my wife. Prior to her death, she gave my wife her wedding rings because she and my wife were very, very close. There isn't a time that a mention is made of her mother that my wife doesn't tear up.

She was showing me the rings because she had contacted a jewelry repair shop here about fixing them so she could wear them daily but the cost was more than she wanted to spend. I decided the money I was contemplating spending on the rifle would be better spent so that my wife can have her mom with her daily rather than me having another gun.

So, I truly appreciate you guys taking the time to reply and share your knowledge and experience. I will put the Weatherby on the back burner for the time being. It's not like I don't have rifles and, besides, I have a Whelen (y) !

Ron

Nicely done Ron.
FWIW, all the quarter bores are great.

JD338

Nice move with the rings.

That 257 will be there again someday. Get it then and play. And if you really want to expand your deer hunting experience, there are hundreds of other cartridges to play with too. I feel that the good karma built up with the rings will come back to allow you to pick up multiple more toys in the future.

Good call, Ron! Now, about these new powders for our 25 Whelens, any recommendations anyone? Is there a thread on here already that I missed? :)
Thanks.
EE2

Back