270 & muleys or whitetails

I have been using 150gr Fusions in my 270. I shot 5 or 6 whitetail buck and only one wasn't a bang & flop. Range was 50 yards to 190 yards. The one who didn't instantly flop over was a heart/lung shot. He went down and couldn't get back up.

The 8point in December fell over on his side like a domino. It was a high shoulder/lung shot and the spine wasn't hit.

I would load up some PT 130's and 140's and see which shoots best. The other bullet I would recomend is the 140gr Spire Point BT (interlock).

I've never hunted with a 270 Win but if I did, I would run the 130 gr PT.
If elk were on the list, it would be a 150 gr PT for everything.

JD338

I have shot whitetail ( big 275+ missouri) with 130 Partitions, elk and mulies with 150 gr Partitions ( Partition golds).

IF all I was chasing was whitetails, 130 gets the nod.

As Jim stated above, if elk and mulies are on the list go with the 150. I can tell you first hand they strike down elk and mulies like the Hammer of Thor. I only recovered one so far from animals, 2 from mud backstop. All three retained 85% or better of original weight.

Bullet choices are a personal thing but a Partition is never a wrong answer. One thing maybe over looked here is the 110 gr Accu-Bond. Fedral has been loading it in a factory round ( hyper velocity) for a few years now. In a .270 win she is really moving yet is a tough bullet.
I have in the past loaded for my buddy's son starting loads of 110 gr pro hunter over h4350, it plain out flattend deer. Our northern WT and Mules will have as big of body size on average for each species .

You can't pick a bad bullet in Noslers lineup between a 110-160. Just nothing in that bunch I would worry about folding deer up with. 130 PT at 3100 is an awesome all arounder though.

Back