270 wsm, which bullet for Moose?.

LD375

Handloader
May 18, 2009
Hi guys, just got a new sako 85 in .270 win and shoots just awsome groups at 100-200 yds with both 140gr accubonds and 150gr partitions..just booked a newfoundland moose hunt for november and can't decide on which one to go with?..both group real tight out to 200 yds...shots well be from 50-300yds..any input would be great, I like to bust shoulders, but would most likley take a lung shot.Have taken moose before with my 338 wmag, but this 270 is a real tack driver using federal ammo loaded with nosler bullets..thanks...Lou

Either would work but the 150 gr Partition would be a step up in performance over the 140 gr AccuBond. FWIW an older friend of mine shot moose with 130 gr Core Lokts and had no troubles, either of the Noslers should be even better.

For moose, the 270 Win loaded with a 150 gr PT or 160 gr PT should do the trick.

JD338

I'm old school, so I do like heavy for calibre. However, the 140 grain AB will not let you down. I have taken two moose with the 130 grain E-Tip from my 270 WSM, so I have no doubt of the efficacy of the 140 grain AB. However, for insurance, I do like the idea of the 150 grain PT, especially in the terrain you will encounter in Newfoundland and Labrador.

I like them both Lou. If they both shoot the same I would shoot whichever is cheapest to practice with. I smashed an elk and a few deer with the 140 AB. Wouldn't think too much about a moose.

I have shot elk with both 140 AB and 150 PT in a 270WSM and could not tell you there was a difference on the game.

Hi Big Bear................ while the .270 is certainly not my favorite moose cartridge, I have probably shot about a dozen moose with it and a similar amount of elk. I have used the Partition in both 130 and 150 extensively, the AccuBond less so for the simple fact it has been around a shorter period of time. Both of these bullets will do the job quite nicely.

Have fun in NFLD, It is a beautiful province.

SJB358":20cyg1yp said:
I like them both Lou. If they both shoot the same I would shoot whichever is cheapest to practice with. I smashed an elk and a few deer with the 140 AB. Wouldn't think too much about a moose.
Thanks Scotty, I'm a big fan of the Partition, and going with the 150's for the .270 and well also be taking my 45/70 with 300gr TBBC bullets for any work out to 200 yds. Would of loved to have my 338 win mag with 210gr partitons, but traded that in for the Sako 85 as you know pal.I'm very confident using the .270 with the 150gr Partition's, man they shoot just awsome outta this rifle, this was'nt my caliber of choice, but got it for almost half price, so I jumped on it, and very happy that I did pal :grin: ..regards...Lou

Thanks for your input fella's :) ..regards, Lou :wink:

BigBear I think either one of those great bullets will work just fine for you. I'd sure like to see you recover one when this happens so you can post some photo's of it and your beast! Nothing better than real world testing to see if something's going to work or not. Also surprised that Dr. Mike didn't "rib you" a bit about those little .270 bullets bouncing off the side of a moose!! :mrgreen: :lol:

David

How far out is your hunt? If you got time might be worth working up a load for either the 150PT or better yet the 160PT. Better accuracy with the 150 or a bigger slug and probably better accuracy with the 160. But if not the 150 factory won't let you down.

6mm Remington":1cpr3z2g said:
BigBear I think either one of those great bullets will work just fine for you. I'd sure like to see you recover one when this happens so you can post some photo's of it and your beast! Nothing better than real world testing to see if something's going to work or not. Also surprised that Dr. Mike didn't "rib you" a bit about those little .270 bullets bouncing off the side of a moose!! :mrgreen: :lol:

David
:lol: ..I've killed moose more than once...all 1 shot kills :grin: ..also have seen them hit with a 375 HH at less 100yds...end result, no moose :shock: ..very bad shooters for sure..shot placement is the key to any given caliber, moose are easy to slay, believe me :wink: ..know would i like to use my once had 338?..oh yes, but it's gone, and I know I well put the hurt on bullwinkle with the .270 for sure! :wink: ..here's the link to my hunt David..Lou

http://www.westwoodsoutfitters.com
Re.The best outdoor writer Jack O'conner said this in regards to the .270 win
"beware the man who only has 1 rifle, he probably knows how to shoot it!"...Lou :wink:

This is cow and calf I shot in 2010 with 338 wm and 250gr PT's at just over 200yds.
moose2-1.jpg

IMG_0529.jpg

Here's my .270 and 45-70 tagging along for 2012 moose hunt..thanks for looking..Lou
010.jpg

007.jpg

At the 200yd range with 45-70..
002-1.jpg

2011 spike buck with 45-70 @ 75yds..he tipped over side ways!

006-1.jpg

As I said, the 270 loaded with either of the bullets you listed will work quite well. It is obvious that the 338 does the job. Those moose undoubtedly provided some fine table fare. Good luck on your hunt in NFLD. I have no doubt that you'll be able to work up a good load in your 270.

DrMike":ou4ifnkg said:
As I said, the 270 loaded with either of the bullets you listed will work quite well. It is obvious that the 338 does the job. Those moose undoubtedly provided some fine table fare. Good luck on your hunt in NFLD. I have no doubt that you'll be able to work up a good load in your 270.

Thanks Doc!..I have my load already to go :grin: ...Know I just have to wait for the hunt..calling for mild weather tomorrow, so i'm doing my usual sunday thing, and going to my gun club and do somemore shooting at 200yds, although the 100yd range is great, but sometimes get boring :shock: ..I wish we had a 300yd range at the club, but for now 200yds is fine, thanks for your kind help, and input..regards..Lou

Lou,

Those are some great photos. Nice rifles for sure and they are working well for you.
The 270 Win with the 150 gr PT will work perfectly for you.

Are you hunting a late season? If so, good luck to you buddy.

JD338

JD338":3od2ex1d said:
Lou,

Those are some great photos. Nice rifles for sure and they are working well for you.
The 270 Win with the 150 gr PT will work perfectly for you.

Are you hunting a late season? If so, good luck to you buddy.

JD338

Hi Jim buddy :grin: ..yes, i'm going with my buddy's from ottawa ontario, they have been going for about 7 yrs now..Dean and Tom both took bull and cow each, and Dean also took a nice caribou as well..Dean and Tom are always the last one's to go (which i agree)...the rut is over and moose are just in abondance, no other hunters as well, we are going about 1st week in november,tags permit bull, cow, calf..there's no time limit for your moose, you can stay as long as you want to, but for me, the first desent bull i see, he's going to the butcher pal and de boned and vaccume packed for the drive home...I should have done this last year..talk soon buddy...Lou :wink:

I chose the 140gr AB over he 150 NP only because I was working up an elk load and liked the long range ballistics more and it shot better than the NP. I shot a small bull with the AB and it performed perfectly. In your case, I'd stick with the heavier NP.

Great country you'll be hunting in and there's nothing like moose burgers.Good luck!

Never be afraid of the 270win. I have been shooting it for 40 years and have had success with everything from Antelope to Moose. Last 3 Elk I have shot were with 130 ABs, and they have always done the job. The pet bullet for the 270 in my opinion is the 130gr. However the 140 AB will do all the job you want
As you said before shot placement is the key to any animal that is on the large size.
I look forward to lots of photos and a good story.
Remember for many years Sir Jack only shot one caliber :mrgreen:

Blessings,
Dan

Sounds like you are on the right track with the heavy for caliber Partition or AB. I'm not gonna call you undergunned-the Scandinavians kill a lot of moose with the 6,5X55- but I will remind as I'm sure you are aware that you are at the very limit of effective terminal performance on a big critter. Sounds like your riflery and woodcraft are up to it, but you may have to pass some shot angles that would have been slam dunks with a 30-06 180 Partition or similar.

Best of luck on your moose hunt. I hope to draw a Minnesota tag or afford a hunt in Manitoba or Ontario in the not too distant future.

Back