270 wsm, which bullet for Moose?.

You'll be good Lou. You have an accurate combo there. Accurate shots are 90% of the game..

Hi again fellers..had a power outage at work today, so I came home, grabbed my rifle and went to the range :grin: ..anyways had some fun, and no one else on the range but me..here's a pic of what the .270 win did at 100 and 200 yds...the top left 5 shot group was @ 100yds, did some windage adjustment and shot the other group out @200yds...not to bad so far, gotta get use to that single stage trigger still..this is from factory federal vital shok ammo..150gr nosler Partition bullets..i'm still workin on it, but should be good to fold up a moose like a cheap card table..Lou :evil:
202.jpg

DrMike":1b0vzrf0 said:
Not bad. You're very close to what you want with that cartridge.

Thanks...let's see your shooting :lol: .. :evil:

That's fantastic shooting. Nice job! Those 270's are pretty nice cartridges I have to say so myself. :mrgreen: That Scotty is a pretty darn nice guy too, but don't let him know I said that!
David

6mm Remington":4dye4e7u said:
That's fantastic shooting. Nice job! Those 270's are pretty nice cartridges I have to say so myself. :mrgreen: That Scotty is a pretty darn nice guy too, but don't let him know I said that!
David

Oh yes he is for sure, and Jim as well also :grin: ...in my eyes, more than super guys! :grin: ..Lou

300 WBY/168 TSX
P8090225.jpg

300 WBY/168 TSX
P8090224.jpg

7WSM/168 VLD
P8090223.jpg

280 REM/140 BST
280REM140BST.jpg

270WSM/140 AB
TikkaT3270WSM.jpg

Some of the more recent groups.

270 is plenty for moose. My grandfather immigrated from Ukraine in 1952 and started hunting moose in 1958 with a Rem 760 pump, in 270 win. He didn't care what bullet he used, just bought whatever and killed a moose every year. I now have his gun, and the bullet he used - 160 grain Kling Kor. I have attached a picture from left to right - 160 Kling Kor, 140 AccuBond, and 150 Partition, all recovered from milk jugs. All recovered from the 6th jug. Kling Kor retained 99 grains at 2650ft/sec = 61.9%, AccuBond retained 97 grains at 3000 ft/sec = 69.3%, and Partition retained 92 grains at 2850ft/sec = 61.3%.
In my books, the 140 AccuBond performance exceeds the 150 Partition, better weight retention and better BC. But, shoot a moose with both and ask him if he felt a difference! You will have a dead moose either way

Attachments

• IMG00388-20120117-2131.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 755
  • IMG00382-20120117-2127.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 755
  • IMG00376-20120117-1848.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 755
  • IMG00379-20120117-1849.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 755
Steveu

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for posting the recovered bullets. Your test prove that they are up to the task.

JD338

Steveu,

Good to have your post. It is always instructive to see recovered bullets. Thank you for posting.

It is good to be here. Been watching for a while and finally have time to do some constructive posting. I am a ballistic nut and have quite a few more recovered bullets to post, I just posed some 'baby' partitions in the recovered bullet section.
Damn Nosler bullets are hard to capture in the field. I have smacked countless deer with the 150 Partition and 1 rag horn elk. All animals dead, and all bullets exit!
Many deer were taken with the 130 Hornady SST as well, but that is a whole other topic! Ka-Boom!

Steve,
That 140gr AB looks awful good! Great posting. I have had the same experence with Nosler PT in the 270 when shooting "deer" with them................. almost always exiting the animal. So it does always leave that question, weather the deer is dead or not, how much of the available energy went down thru the trees, and was never transfered into the deer at all. Same thing with Caribou, Dall Sheep, almost always go thru . So I stoped using them years ago for that reason and went with a solid base[now called BT] and bingo solved that problem right now! However I still would want the PT for game over 500lbs, but didnt like it for deer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV8ij1gK-ck

Check this link out. I am not selling Barnes Bullets, but they make a pretty good statement on energy wasted after the bullet leaves the animal. I have found that a bullet that stays inside an animal does seem to kill faster. But I think this is just the fangible bullet destroying more tissue, and imparting more shock to the nervous system. But I would like 100% penetration because you never know what kind of shot is presented in the field. A severe quartering away shot needs to go through quite a bit of paunch to hit the vitals, although it is usually better to wait it out for a better opporunity. And hey, dead is dead, whether or not the bullet stays in or exits. And the blood trail is always easier with two holes!

Great bullets Steve! That is pretty awesome. Love to see the recovered bullets.

There is quite a controversy over whether a bullet should or should not exit. The issue has never been settled, and there are excellent arguments presented by some truly qualified individuals on either side of the matter. Personally, I'm not certain that I am prepared to take one side or the other as an absolute. There are instances that I would want a complete energy transfer to game, and there are others that I want complete pass through. Should an animal run, I appreciate a good blood trail. Should it be dangerous game, I certainly want to disrupt as much of vital systems as possible. I do know that on the last grizzly I dropped, of six shots, the first four were complete passes, breaking both shoulders in the process and destroying the lungs. The next two shots, taken as insurance when I approached from the rear of the animal, passed through and remained in the animal. As long as the initial shot broke his legs, I was less concerned whether the projectile passed through or remained inside the animal. The circulatory system was already disrupted and both shoulders were broken, assuring me that I didn't need to track him and insuring that he would not be getting up quickly.

If you're of the opinion that the bullet needs to pass through the animal... then I ask you at what angle does it need to pass through? Certainly most appropriate for caliber bullets (non-"varmint") can blow right through the boiler room when they encounter little resistance (ie: rib, scapula) on a perfect broadside shot. But what if that shot is quartering away... or quartering toward (tough on bullets!)... then the bullet that whiffed right through the clockwork on the previous shot... suddenly has to perform a very different function.

To the contrary... if you like "all the energy expended in the animal"... you're obviously not too familiar with physics. First of all... the maximum amount of energy you can "dump" in an animal... is only HALF the energy you see on your ballistics chart. That's right folks... Newton even applies to firearms... meaning: whatever work (energy is used to "do work") is done to the poor critter... and equal amount of work (energy expended) is done on the bullet. If you doubt this... take an AccuBond and put it in a vice... then see how many times you have to clobber it with a hammer to make it look like one of those nice 'shrooms you see in the adds.... I bet it takes quite a few whacks with the old Eastwing.

Now, since I added more fuel to the fire... I'll take my stance: I don't care if it comes out or not... I just care that it breaks bones and does damage to vital squishy stuff. I like exit wounds... but I like critters to drop on the shot more. So, I pick a heavy for caliber NBT... or a lighter TTSX (or TSX)... and then shoot for the front drive line.

Songdog":qf7pf2zg said:
If you're of the opinion that the bullet needs to pass through the animal... then I ask you at what angle does it need to pass through? Certainly most appropriate for caliber bullets (non-"varmint") can blow right through the boiler room when they encounter little resistance (ie: rib, scapula) on a perfect broadside shot. But what if that shot is quartering away... or quartering toward (tough on bullets!)... then the bullet that whiffed right through the clockwork on the previous shot... suddenly has to perform a very different function.

To the contrary... if you like "all the energy expended in the animal"... you're obviously not too familiar with physics. First of all... the maximum amount of energy you can "dump" in an animal... is only HALF the energy you see on your ballistics chart. That's right folks... Newton even applies to firearms... meaning: whatever work (energy is used to "do work") is done to the poor critter... and equal amount of work (energy expended) is done on the bullet. If you doubt this... take an AccuBond and put it in a vice... then see how many times you have to clobber it with a hammer to make it look like one of those nice 'shrooms you see in the adds.... I bet it takes quite a few whacks with the old Eastwing.

Now, since I added more fuel to the fire... I'll take my stance: I don't care if it comes out or not... I just care that it breaks bones and does damage to vital squishy stuff. I like exit wounds... but I like critters to drop on the shot more. So, I pick a heavy for caliber NBT... or a lighter TTSX (or TSX)... and then shoot for the front drive line.

This is the old Berger vs Bonded bullet (pick your poison) discussion. I am in the two holes, everytime, any angle crowd, but heck whatever works. I think confidence in your equipment is pretty important.

DrMike":2mjtrt3o said:

300 WBY/168 TSX
P8090225.jpg

300 WBY/168 TSX
P8090224.jpg

7WSM/168 VLD
P8090223.jpg

280 REM/140 BST
280REM140BST.jpg

270WSM/140 AB
TikkaT3270WSM.jpg

Some of the more recent groups.

That's very, very impressive Mike!..that's what I like to see :grin: ...Lou

Steveu":jggdr9n2 said:
270 is plenty for moose. My grandfather immigrated from Ukraine in 1952 and started hunting moose in 1958 with a Rem 760 pump, in 270 win. He didn't care what bullet he used, just bought whatever and killed a moose every year. I now have his gun, and the bullet he used - 160 grain Kling Kor. I have attached a picture from left to right - 160 Kling Kor, 140 AccuBond, and 150 Partition, all recovered from milk jugs. All recovered from the 6th jug. Kling Kor retained 99 grains at 2650ft/sec = 61.9%, AccuBond retained 97 grains at 3000 ft/sec = 69.3%, and Partition retained 92 grains at 2850ft/sec = 61.3%.
In my books, the 140 AccuBond performance exceeds the 150 Partition, better weight retention and better BC. But, shoot a moose with both and ask him if he felt a difference! You will have a dead moose either way
Welcome Steveu :grin: ...that's great stuff to see for sure!..very impressive..I don't know what it is, but there's just something behind a .270 win that just plain works..thanks for posting, Lou

DrMike":mx89sxhw said:
There is quite a controversy over whether a bullet should or should not exit. The issue has never been settled, and there are excellent arguments presented by some truly qualified individuals on either side of the matter. Personally, I'm not certain that I am prepared to take one side or the other as an absolute. There are instances that I would want a complete energy transfer to game, and there are others that I want complete pass through. Should an animal run, I appreciate a good blood trail. Should it be dangerous game, I certainly want to disrupt as much of vital systems as possible. I do know that on the last grizzly I dropped, of six shots, the first four were complete passes, breaking both shoulders in the process and destroying the lungs. The next two shots, taken as insurance when I approached from the rear of the animal, passed through and remained in the animal. As long as the initial shot broke his legs, I was less concerned whether the projectile passed through or remained inside the animal. The circulatory system was already disrupted and both shoulders were broken, assuring me that I didn't need to track him and insuring that he would not be getting up quickly.

Yes this is a topic I simply cannot be bothered to even voice an opinion on any more. Hunters are very opinionated (I know you guys will have a hard time believing that) about rifles, cartridges, bullets and just about anything else connected with the sport. Even with things they have never personally done they will just spout whatever they have read in a book or magazine that supports their opinion and when all else fails just make something up. :)

Nowadays I just report what has happened and leave it at that.

Back