270 wsm, which bullet for Moose?.

Mooswa":qeqwpaoo said:
DrMike":qeqwpaoo said:
There is quite a controversy over whether a bullet should or should not exit. The issue has never been settled, and there are excellent arguments presented by some truly qualified individuals on either side of the matter. Personally, I'm not certain that I am prepared to take one side or the other as an absolute. There are instances that I would want a complete energy transfer to game, and there are others that I want complete pass through. Should an animal run, I appreciate a good blood trail. Should it be dangerous game, I certainly want to disrupt as much of vital systems as possible. I do know that on the last grizzly I dropped, of six shots, the first four were complete passes, breaking both shoulders in the process and destroying the lungs. The next two shots, taken as insurance when I approached from the rear of the animal, passed through and remained in the animal. As long as the initial shot broke his legs, I was less concerned whether the projectile passed through or remained inside the animal. The circulatory system was already disrupted and both shoulders were broken, assuring me that I didn't need to track him and insuring that he would not be getting up quickly.

Yes this is a topic I simply cannot be bothered to even voice an opinion on any more. Hunters are very opinionated (I know you guys will have a hard time believing that) about rifles, cartridges, bullets and just about anything else connected with the sport. Even with things they have never personally done they will just spout whatever they have read in a book or magazine that supports their opinion and when all else fails just make something up. :)

Nowadays I just report what has happened and leave it at that.
I some what agree, all I asked was others opinion, experiece with this caliber for large game..Elk are much more tougher than moose, in my opinion for sure, but you guys are just great, and got alot of positive feedback :grin: ..this thread is going on to long, so let's close it for now, and i'll report on the results in the fall..All the best to all!..Lou :wink:

BigBear":fnqhsd61 said:
Hi again fellers..had a power outage at work today, so I came home, grabbed my rifle and went to the range :grin: ..anyways had some fun, and no one else on the range but me..here's a pic of what the .270 win did at 100 and 200 yds...the top left 5 shot group was @ 100yds, did some windage adjustment and shot the other group out @200yds...not to bad so far, gotta get use to that single stage trigger still..this is from factory federal vital shok ammo..150gr nosler Partition bullets..i'm still workin on it, but should be good to fold up a moose like a cheap card table..Lou :evil:
202.jpg

Lou,

Nice shooting! You are there, all you need now is a nice bull moose to show up. :mrgreen:

JD338

JD338":87qqln4c said:
BigBear":87qqln4c said:
Hi again fellers..had a power outage at work today, so I came home, grabbed my rifle and went to the range :grin: ..anyways had some fun, and no one else on the range but me..here's a pic of what the .270 win did at 100 and 200 yds...the top left 5 shot group was @ 100yds, did some windage adjustment and shot the other group out @200yds...not to bad so far, gotta get use to that single stage trigger still..this is from factory federal vital shok ammo..150gr nosler Partition bullets..i'm still workin on it, but should be good to fold up a moose like a cheap card table..Lou :evil:
202.jpg

Lou,

Nice shooting! You are there, all you need now is a nice bull moose to show up. :mrgreen:

JD338
Thanks Jim...My 45-70 @ 100yds...3 different factory loads...
Photo0055.jpg

You have no complaints with the 45-70. It'll deliver the goods when needed. When the bull shows, you'll be inviting him to dinner.

Lou,

That is some fine shooting! The 45-70 is a big beast hammer and those groups would serve you well out to 250 yds easy.

JD338

I heard that Mooswa!
It always cracks me up when someone is spouting off about how much he likes a so and so caliber, and it is usually some big magnum, that you could shoot a dinasour with it at 2000 yds, and they always shoot nothing but 1/8" groups all day long in 30 kt direct cross winds, and when pressed about how much actual experence they have with the caliber on actual game larger than 500lbs things usually quiet down in a hurry . So like you say they are very very opinionated but it usually always boils down to shooting some deer; a hog or two, and maybe an Armadillo......................... And the guys that have shot tons of game with a certain caliber, wont say a peep about it, as they realize like you, that everyone likes the gun they have, and to them it is the best there ever was, or will be.
I have tons of fellas around here, telling me all the time how great their Dads old 38-55 is, and how it will really "knock them" and they saw their great uncle, who was the best shot in the family, drop a huge buck out in the back pasture with his famous long octagon barreled 32 Special; and it is over 50 rods to the back corner of that field! One fella told me his dad was the best shot he had ever seen, and that he watched him shoot one time out the front door at a weasel running flat out across the field about 80 yards away and the weasel had a little mouse in his mouth; and he said with a straight face ,"Dad shot that mouse right outta that weasels mouth! These feats of granduer are always done with open sights! Another nit wit came in the shop one day; and was talking about shooting coyotes across the lake from him; and that distance is close to a mile away?? He claimed to have shot one loping along over on the other shore with his "Big 7" that is probably lined up dead on at a hundred yards, right against that far shore. A guy that was sitting in the shop asked him where it hit him and he says "right down thru the top of the head". They are all shooting 5-700yds with no special reticules in the scopes, or turrets on them, they just hold over a little "daylight" and hit anything they ever aim at. Those same fellas dont need a compass in the woods as they have a natural sense of direction [though alot of them have had to be retrieved from the woods a time or too]
Most of the old time guides will not even discuss calibers as like religion or politics your never going to get to the bottom of it!

35 Whelen":2dt9o3pn said:
I heard that Mooswa!
It always cracks me up when someone is spouting off about how much he likes a so and so caliber, and it is usually some big magnum, that you could shoot a dinasour with it at 2000 yds, and they always shoot nothing but 1/8" groups all day long in 30 kt direct cross winds, and when pressed about how much actual experence they have with the caliber on actual game larger than 500lbs things usually quiet down in a hurry . So like you say they are very very opinionated but it usually always boils down to shooting some deer; a hog or two, and maybe an Armadillo......................... And the guys that have shot tons of game with a certain caliber, wont say a peep about it, as they realize like you, that everyone likes the gun they have, and to them it is the best there ever was, or will be.
I have tons of fellas around here, telling me all the time how great their Dads old 38-55 is, and how it will really "knock them" and they saw their great uncle, who was the best shot in the family, drop a huge buck out in the back pasture with his famous long octagon barreled 32 Special; and it is over 50 rods to the back corner of that field! One fella told me his dad was the best shot he had ever seen, and that he watched him shoot one time out the front door at a weasel running flat out across the field about 80 yards away and the weasel had a little mouse in his mouth; and he said with a straight face ,"Dad shot that mouse right outta that weasels mouth! These feats of granduer are always done with open sights! Another nit wit came in the shop one day; and was talking about shooting coyotes across the lake from him; and that distance is close to a mile away?? He claimed to have shot one loping along over on the other shore with his "Big 7" that is probably lined up dead on at a hundred yards, right against that far shore. A guy that was sitting in the shop asked him where it hit him and he says "right down thru the top of the head". They are all shooting 5-700yds with no special reticules in the scopes, or turrets on them, they just hold over a little "daylight" and hit anything they ever aim at. Those same fellas dont need a compass in the woods as they have a natural sense of direction [though alot of them have had to be retrieved from the woods a time or too]
Most of the old time guides will not even discuss calibers as like religion or politics your never going to get to the bottom of it!

Just to clear the air, so everyone knows, the 35 Whelen is still the best. I think David told me that or something, but he is a pretty smart guy!

Yes, Scotty you are a man of great knowledge :mrgreen: it is hard to argue with a man about a Whelen :wink:
Have you tried those 180gr. barnes yet?

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":3uvcnali said:
Yes, Scotty you are a man of great knowledge :mrgreen: it is hard to argue with a man about a Whelen :wink:
Have you tried those 180gr. barnes yet?

Blessings,
Dan

Nope, haven't tried the 180 Barnes, doubt I will in it. 180's could probably scream, but they just seem so danged light and stubby for the Whelen.... Not saying they aren't great bullets though.

I did just pick up the 225 AB's for the 35 Whelen this morning. Those will be my light bullets for the Whelen! :twisted:

Hi fellas :grin: ...just a quick note..it well be the 150gr nosler Partition, got a phone call last night on this super, man i mean super deal 8) ...just got home with this sako 85 in 270 wsm, and a leupold vx 3 3.5-10x 40mm boone & crockett scope..here's some quick pics..Man you guys are all just great!!!...Lou
005-2.jpg

001-4.jpg

002-4.jpg

003-2.jpg

004-1.jpg

006-2.jpg

007-2.jpg

That is a great looking set up. Congratulations! You will enjoy it. I've shot several that look just like it, and all shot very well. The 150 grain PT will not fail you.

DrMike":1l5qiy3c said:
That is a great looking set up. Congratulations! You will enjoy it. I've shot several that look just like it, and all shot very well. The 150 grain PT will not fail you.

Thanks Mike! :grin: ...all i can say is, it was much of an even trade for my sako 85 in .270 win..wasn't looking for this one, but i had to jump on it asap when my dealer called me last night...BTW...it's my 1st lupy scope too :shock: ...man this scope is super clear..thanks for your input...Lou

Lou, I am thinking that may the last rifle you buy for awhile. I cannot imagine it isn't going to be a shooter and man, what a looker! Man, you did really well mate! That thing is out of this world pretty!

150 PT's or the Winchester AB loads are just out of this world awesome for the load.

IMG_0824.jpg

Plus, the 140 AB did alright with these guys as well in my 270WSM!

ElkPicture.jpg

IdahoMuley.jpg

Thanks Scotty, that's 1 beauty elk pal!..As for me, was very happy with the .270 win, but when the .270 wsm came along, I just had to jump on it for sure...gonna be shooting the 150gr PT to start with...and then take it from there pal....Call you tonight :grin: ...Lou

BigBear":1rgw34oc said:
Thanks Scotty, that's 1 beauty elk pal!..As for me, was very happy with the .270 win, but when the .270 wsm came along, I just had to jump on it for sure...gonna be shooting the 150gr PT to start with...and then take it from there pal....Call you tonight :grin: ...Lou

Sounds good buddy! Looking forward to it.

Lou,

Congratulations on a beautiful Sako 270 WSM. She is a looker and I am sure it will be a shooter too!
You are covered for moose both near and far with the 150 gr PT.

Scotty,

Nice bull elk and mule deer buddy.

JD338

All I ever use for elk, deer and moose BigBear is a 270 win. I load it with 130 gr. combine technology with 45 gr. of IMR 4064 powder and wincherter primers and I have no troubles bringing down any game here in Alberta.

Back