270 wsm, which bullet for Moose?.

I would go with the PT for moose my self. Now science your going to a foreign country, you better bush up on your newfinese. Don't forget to pack your chummy, always know where ya too, and where ya be. Stay away from the screech and the seal flipper have fun!!!LoL

LOL........... yes I remember when I got transfered to Ft. Mac back in 1979 and had my crash introduction to Newfie Speak. It can be a bit of an eye opener, especially if they are excited and talking quickly.

Good people though. Unlike so many today most are still well grounded and always hospitable. :grin:

I suspect that about one-third or more of the people working in the gas fields and the oil patch are Newfies. I have a few records of Newfoundland songs. It is a fascinating language. Consequently, canned seal isn't all that bad. As a cold meat on a salad plate, or as a hot sandwich, it is pretty good. Seal flipper pie, well that's another story.

Thanks for your kind words gents! :grin: ..I'm truly looking forward to it for sure..I've always been over gunned for moose, and deer sized game as well, this is by far the smallest caliber big game rifle i've owned in my 32yrs of hunting :shock: ..I give you my word, come fall, there well be a few pics on this great forum with a sako 85 .270 win shooting 150gr Partition's with a nice bull on the ground :wink: ..My buddys always tell me that "Im the guy who always does my hunting before I squeeze the trigger"..god bless you all...Lou :wink:

Polaris":1hnei072 said:
Sounds like you are on the right track with the heavy for caliber Partition or AB. I'm not gonna call you undergunned-the Scandinavians kill a lot of moose with the 6,5X55- but I will remind as I'm sure you are aware that you are at the very limit of effective terminal performance on a big critter. Sounds like your riflery and woodcraft are up to it, but you may have to pass some shot angles that would have been slam dunks with a 30-06 180 Partition or similar.

Best of luck on your moose hunt. I hope to draw a Minnesota tag or afford a hunt in Manitoba or Ontario in the not too distant future.

I hope you draw a tag..Being canadian/american your looking atleast 2x the cost of the same moose hunt in newfoundland :shock: ..20 yrs ago in Atikokan I paid just under $700....try now, it's about $7000 per hunter, that's crazy!..Trust me, go to newfy for 1/2 that price, and shoot your moose..if you need any info, just pm me..Regards..Lou

SJB358":2vw41lfc said:
I like them both Lou. If they both shoot the same I would shoot whichever is cheapest to practice with. I smashed an elk and a few deer with the 140 AB. Wouldn't think too much about a moose.

Scotty, I know it's aways away, but you well have a package waiting for you in New York at x-mas time at my cousins house buddy, can't tell you what it is though! :wink:

BigBear":bcxvsvbh said:
Polaris":bcxvsvbh said:
Sounds like you are on the right track with the heavy for caliber Partition or AB. I'm not gonna call you undergunned-the Scandinavians kill a lot of moose with the 6,5X55- but I will remind as I'm sure you are aware that you are at the very limit of effective terminal performance on a big critter. Sounds like your riflery and woodcraft are up to it, but you may have to pass some shot angles that would have been slam dunks with a 30-06 180 Partition or similar.

Best of luck on your moose hunt. I hope to draw a Minnesota tag or afford a hunt in Manitoba or Ontario in the not too distant future.

I hope you draw a tag..Being canadian/american your looking atleast 2x the cost of the same moose hunt in newfoundland :shock: ..20 yrs ago in Atikokan I paid just under $700....try now, it's about $7000 per hunter, that's crazy!..Trust me, go to newfy for 1/2 that price, and shoot your moose..if you need any info, just pm me..Regards..Lou

Yeah, I'll have to shop around for sure. I've got a guide near Devlin that owes me a BIG favor. Don't know about the tag situation but the hunt is free other than my food and gas. He's got a Queensland trapping cabin on Loon Haunt that he's lived at for 25 winters so it would be a great boat-in hunt. The wall of his wood shack is a forest of big mossy antlers.

Mighty Peace":10sdia8v said:
140gr AB's is my medicine in the 270WSM...works great!!! :mrgreen:

cant see why not in your 270Win.

Yes, I have seen your pics with the 270 wsm...you have taken some nice animals with that caliber for sure...as for me, they both group real nice, I might just take the plunge, and go with the AB's for my hunt, shots could be at close range, or out to 300-400yds..this is where the AccuBond well come into play...regards...Lou

Mighty Peace":2xs6v06a said:
140gr AB's is my medicine in the 270WSM...works great!!! :mrgreen:

cant see why not in your 270Win.

My heart say's 150 NP's, but my mind is set on the 140gr Accubonds....and that's what i'm gonna take..the 140gr Accubonds..great bullet, with pin point accuracy...Lou :twisted:

I don't think you will have any issues Lou. Your a great shooter and I don't believe the little 140 will let you down at all. It is a good bullet. I love the PT's but the AB's run a pretty close 2nd...

The 140 ABs will bring home the moose for you. Good luck on your hunt, and by all means, get a bou', Lou.

BigBear":28bhoqu2 said:
Hi guys, just got a new sako 85 in .270 win and shoots just awsome groups at 100-200 yds with both 140gr accubonds and 150gr partitions..just booked a newfoundland moose hunt for november and can't decide on which one to go with?..both group real tight out to 200 yds...shots well be from 50-300yds..any input would be great, I like to bust shoulders, but would most likley take a lung shot.Have taken moose before with my 338 wmag, but this 270 is a real tack driver using federal ammo loaded with nosler bullets..thanks...Lou
Just use the .338. A moose is a grand game animal and deserves the most most humane kill possible.

lhsako":2xclowmh said:
Just use the .338. A moose is a grand game animal and deserves the most most humane kill possible.

He doesn't have the 338 any longer. It was traded for the 270. Scotty

SJB358":9x75965n said:
lhsako":9x75965n said:

He doesn't have the 338 any longer. It was traded for the 270. Scotty

Thanks for backing me up Scotty :) ..I love the big guns as well, but at this point realy have no need for them, I do have my 45/70 which I love and is super accurate as you and I know :) ..I have never wounded,missed, or lost an animal myself, but have seen a few moose lost to a 338wm and 375H&H mag :shock: ...not the gun, but the shooters fault for sure...I have absoulute faith in my rifle and load...As you are like me pal, when you know your rifle well, it well be your best friend..I just want to thank you Scotty, as you are a great man..Your buddy, Lou..P.S..Don't forget your package in NY pal :wink:

lhsako":15qj4rk8 said:
BigBear":15qj4rk8 said:
Hi guys, just got a new sako 85 in .270 win and shoots just awsome groups at 100-200 yds with both 140gr accubonds and 150gr partitions..just booked a newfoundland moose hunt for november and can't decide on which one to go with?..both group real tight out to 200 yds...shots well be from 50-300yds..any input would be great, I like to bust shoulders, but would most likley take a lung shot.Have taken moose before with my 338 wmag, but this 270 is a real tack driver using federal ammo loaded with nosler bullets..thanks...Lou

It's only moose, not a cape buffalo :lol: ..trust me, the .270 with premium bullets well be more than enough for the job, I've been there, done that, but thanks for your input though.

I am with Lou, up until a few years ago, I had a 7RM, 300WM and the 270WSM. I felt pretty infallible with the 270WSM and factory Winchester Supreme 140 AB's. They took an elk, a few deer and some coyotes. I like the PT more, but I wouldn't skip a heartbeat if I had a 270 and good loads shooting the 140 AB. I feel like I tend to overthink stuff, but for moose and even elk, with good shots on them, kept within their energy range, they are pretty deadly. Heck, look at that old Goat Dr. Mike. He dumps moose in the North Country with that little 270 like they are stricken with the plague. Heck, Lou is sporting a Sako, that has to count for something! Scotty

Heck, look at that old Goat Dr. Mike.

Now, I represent that! I may be old, but Goat? I'm pretty impressed with the 130 grain ETip in my 270 WSM. It has dumped not only moose, but elk and deer as well. It is hard to fault the bullet. I would argue that you need to know your limit and work within the limitations of the load. However, a 270 Win shooting a 140 grain AB has quite a bit of reach for moose sized game.

Back