280 AI is done!

BP736

Beginner
Oct 7, 2008
My long time 280 AI project is finally finished. I have been intrigued by the 280 AI for a long time. In my mind it is close to perfect for deer/antelope. After buying the donor rifle 3 years ago, my wife gave me a 26" stainless Shilen barrel for Christmas this past year. I bought the rest of the parts a few weeks later. It started as a Rem. 700 ADL 270. I turned it into a BDL, added a Bell and Carlson Medalist stock, trued the action and cleaned up the bolt. It has a 4-12 Leupold Vari XII with a matte finish. I used stainless rings and bases to offset the black scope. This is the first rifle I have done this on, but I really like it... something a little different. After the gunsmith work, the finished length of the barrel is 25 1/2". A friend of mine helped me with the gunsmith work. I did a lot of the work and he did the parts that were beyond my ability. It was a big learning process for me, as this is my first custom rifle. I haven't been able to shoot it much yet, but the early testing looks good. I have shot a few groups around 1" with very little effort. I have been getting about 3150ish with 140 ABs. I hope to get 3200... we'll see. I plan to shoot it a lot this summer.

Attachments

• DSCN2030.JPG
    923.2 KB · Views: 1,387
  • DSCN2031.JPG
    790.4 KB · Views: 1,387
  • DSCN2032.JPG
    907.8 KB · Views: 1,387
SWEET!!!!! I really like the way the rings contrast!! excellent work my friend!!!

Very very nice! You should be proud. It looks fantastic and sounds like it's going to shoot like a house on fire! 280/280AI are about the perfect cartridges for most everything including moose and elk! I've killed several with the plain Jane 280 and 140 gr. Partitions. No moose, but a couple nice bulls! I think the AccuBond is superb in the 280.

David

BP736

Very nice! Congratulations on your 280 AI.
With a 26" tube, you should have no trouble reaching 3200 fps with the 140 gr AB. I have done 3240 fps with the same bullet in my 24" barrel but backed it down to 3180 fps to extend case life. RL 22 is a great powder in the 280 AI. With the 140 gr AB, I am loading 63. grs and getting well under MOA accuracy.

JD338

Nice! One of my .270s just might end up looking an awful lot like that...

Very nice rifle! Looks really good. You did some great work on that rifle. Can't wait to hear of your load development. Scotty

Very cool..
I had A 700 years ago in 280 AI and it shot like a laser. Wish I'd never sold it.
I just finished up a Win 70 FW in 280 AI with the Shilen bbl. I have to finish inletting the stock then bed it in but I'm really looking forward to shooting it. I have an old Remington 1903 A3 that I just did the same with to give to my brother.

BP736":300ejpul said:
my wife gave me a 26" stainless Shilen barrel for Christmas this past year.

Seriously, your wife needs to talk to my girlfriend.

Great looking rifle. You really did your homework putting it together. Look forward to seeing some range results and better yet see you posting some deer pics this fall.

Range report!

cheerleader.gif

That is one fine looking rifle! I'm wishing I would have gone with an extra inch on mine as well. I built it on a savage action, and can't get the AOL that you will be able to so my max charges are about 1.5-2 gr under book max.

I have tried both RL 17, and 22 with the 140 BT. 3147 fps with RL-22 is max, and very accurate in my gun. Was able to get up to 3220 with RL-17 (57 gr max in my gun), but it shot better at 3135 fps. I have not tried 7828 or magpo yet with the 140 BT, but they both worked very well with the 160 AB.

Thanks guys. I really enjoyed building the rifle and learned a ton. I have been chomping at the bit shoot it more and work up a load, but spring time in northen Arizona can be a bit breezy (WINDY). Should be calming down soon and I'll get after it then. I plan to work on an RL22 load with 140 ABs. I've had great luck in other calibers with 22 and a lot of guys here rave about it too. I'll get a range report soon.
BP

RL22 is great in my 270WSM, 7RM, 300WM, and quite a few loads for the 338WM also. Pretty darned versatile powder. Scotty

The barrel is a #3 stainless Shilen. It has a bead blasted finish and an 11 degree target crown.
BP

Back