280 Rem 140gr TTSX

tecumseh

Handloader
Oct 20, 2010
Went to the range this morning and ran a few rounds through the 280 with 140gr Barnes TTSX. Fall won't get here fast enough for me!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 935
That is looking promising for you. The 140 grain TTSX should give you good performance. I understand the desire for fall to come quickly.

Alderman,

Welcome to the forum. It's always a pleasure to see new people posting. You are correct that the 150 grain BTs work very well in the .280.

The 140gr Ballistic Tip shoots dead on in this rifle too. IMR-4831 is the go to powder for 140gr bullets for this rifle.

tecumseh":1ipi8tp3 said:
The 140gr Ballistic Tip shoots dead on in this rifle too. IMR-4831 is the go to powder for 140gr bullets for this rifle.

I've never tried it before. Maybe I should experiment with it. What kind of speeds are you getting?

The muzzle Vel for the Ballistic tip is 3001 FPS. I haven't had a chance to check the Barnes. I'd like to use this in Montana this coming fall, but being in Grizzly country I'm probably going to opt for my 300 WSM and use this for a back up rifle.

Very nice! Nothing much to do with that combo! That bullet should work real well.

tim629":3lpalrpu said:
Have you considered jumping to the 160 AccuBond/Partition or the 150ttsx? take some of the worry out of making it a primary rifle if wanted in grizzly country

I've got some 160gr Gamekings loaded up to try out of it, I'm hoping to get out this weekend and see how they shoot. I haven't worked with heavier bullets in this rifle much.

Those 140gr Barnes sure won't hurt you as those are fine groups.
That you for the range report & photos.

Blessings,
Dan

Alderman welcome to the foreman. I am sure that you are going to like this group of people. They are very knowledgeable and eager to help out when asked to!!

Blessings,
Dan

tecumseh":2rnip0wb said:
The muzzle Vel for the Ballistic tip is 3001 FPS. I haven't had a chance to check the Barnes. I'd like to use this in Montana this coming fall, but being in Grizzly country I'm probably going to opt for my 300 WSM and use this for a back up rifle.

I've been thinking of using the TSX 140 gr. in my .280 for cow elk next January. According to the Barnes manual, MagPro gave the highest velocity at 2998 FPS Re22 at2970 and H4831SC at 2908. The only powder that didn't break 2900 FPS was IMR4350 at 2876FPS. All I have to do is see if I can get the holes to cluster together.
Paul B.

Back