284 with 150gr ABLR

30-338

Handloader
Jun 12, 2009
Got some 150gr ABLR want to try in my 284 and been shooting 160gr AB and can I use same seating depth to start with. I've got the VLD seater and that bullet fits it real good and 284 build long action.

Thanks

I shot the 150 grain ABLR in my .284 last week. Accuracy was not all I wanted, but the ballistic data generated gives me hope. I'll rework the load and play with seating depth. I suspect that it will come around pretty quickly. The 150 ABLR is my "go to" bullet in the newer of my 280s.

DrMike":x66gylcw said:
I shot the 150 grain ABLR in my .284 last week. Accuracy was not all I wanted, but the ballistic data generated gives me hope. I'll rework the load and play with seating depth. I suspect that it will come around pretty quickly. The 150 ABLR is my "go to" bullet in the newer of my 280s.

I haven't loaded any yet and maybe best if I just start over see what happens. Thanks

My .284 is built on a long action, so it allows me room to seat longer bullets out.

DrMike":tkmt47m9 said:
My .284 is built on a long action, so it allows me room to seat longer bullets out.

Mine is on a long action but I had it throated little longer. I don't hunt with them but I'm able to shoot the Berger 168gr/180gr VLD in that rifle.

I've been thinking about making bullet change in that rifle and gear it more for antelope/deer tag.

Sounds like a good plan, the 284 Win is an interesting round and a 150 gr ABLR should shine in it as long as the accuracy is there for you.

Seems like the ABLR's liked a little extra jump into the rifling. I'd probably look at .050" being the starting point were I to start with them again. Nothing up close did much good for me.

'the 7mm 150 gr ABLR is my go to bullet in the 280 AI.

jD338

SJB358":3ercvki9 said:
Seems like the ABLR's liked a little extra jump into the rifling. I'd probably look at .050" being the starting point were I to start with them again. Nothing up close did much good for me.

I appreciate the information.

DrMike":35ienuzv said:

Doc, is there any reason to go with a .284 on a long action versus a .280? I don't mean to be hijacking the post here but I have considered getting one or the other and can't seem to make up my mind.

When I built this rifle, I already had two .280s, a 7 RM and a few other 7mm calibre rifles floating around. I did not, however, have a .284 Winchester. I did have a long action Featherweight stock, though I lacked an action. So, the decision was made on the basis of what I had. :grin: I went looking for a donor Winchester. When I found it, the die was cast. Typical gun crank. :roll:

DrMike":2q9n1p2r said:

I finally got around to shooting the 150gr ABLR in my 284 today. I haven't chronograph anything yet, waiting to try loads 200/300yds and at 100yd looks pretty good.

I tried the 150gr ABLR in Kreiger barrel 280AI also. Guess the 284 was too easy and I need a challenge and before I get too far into that, I'm going to try them in my other 280AI.

Back