3 Cartridge Battery?

roysclockgun":2z32cgyo said:
Jeff wrote: "Supposedly, Springfield offered M1a's in .358 very early on but I've never heard of one existing physically. "

Isn't there a very critical problem with too high pressure in US M1 Rifles and US M14 rifles, causing warping of the op rod? Maybe Springfield ran into that problem when they chambered M1A rifles for .358?

Maybe! It's gotta be surmountable, though. I mean... I don't think a .358 is any higher-pressure than a .308. I think it has to do with the pressure curve of the load more than anything. You don't want the pressure to be too high when the gas gets to the gas port or yes, you will abuse your op-rod.

I love my M1a's. I have two Springfields, a big Match version and then a Bush variant in a camo stock, on which I have put the tritium front site from a SOCOM and a large ghost ring rear aperature, as well as a forward mounted "tactical" light in a mount I very carefully fitted to the gas block. Anyway, it's my go-to gun for middle of the night "issues" on our rural property in Oregon... not that I need to use it often. Usually I end up whacking a possum or racoon with my .22 instead.

-jeff

I too keep a couple of firearms loaded and at the ready. Lots of burglars ripping off boats and other things left outside, here in Florida. That said, my attitude underwent an adjustment after I read of a man who shot and killed his own son. The shooter had experienced a prowler on his property. His grown son came over, late at night, drunk, and entered the dwelling. The father hit him in the chest with a rifle shot and killed him. That story always causes me to pause when I hear the "bump" in the night!

6mm-284, DST FN Mauser with a 26" barrel 9lbs w/scope...varmints up thru mule deer size.

9.5x74R in a double rifle...the original 38-90. 270gr bullet at 2460fps...varmints up thru Cape Buffalo size

550 Gibbs, a wildcat I am building now. Rem M30 by Wisner 800gr bullets up to 2600fps...varmints up thru Mastodon size

JMHO...

Rich

My choices:

.25-35 Winchester in Winchester model 94 Trail's End version
.348 Winchester in Winchester Model 71
.45-70 Govt. in either 26 inch barrelled Marlin 1895 or 22 inch USRAC 1886

Good for any big game in North America.

Last Spike":z36qaahj said:
My choices:

.25-35 Winchester in Winchester model 94 Trail's End version
.348 Winchester in Winchester Model 71
.45-70 Govt. in either 26 inch barrelled Marlin 1895 or 22 inch USRAC 1886

Good for any big game in North America.

Hmmm.... nice rifles, and I love my .358 so I totally get the .348 you chose, but I would say you'd be in trouble if the buck/bull/bruin of a lifetime was 300 yards away! I take it you don't hunt open country or else hunt it differently than most?

-jeff

Jeff wrote : " but I would say you'd be in trouble if the buck/bull/bruin of a lifetime was 300 yards away"

I wondered the same thing. Even in close cover, like here in Central Florida, hunters have an opportunity to use climbing stands and get very long shots across open areas in the jungle like cover.
A far shooting rifle will kill up close, but it does not work the other way around.

First of all, a 240 Wby will definitely be in the mix. It is amazing what you can load for with that gun. Then a 30-378 Wby, cause that will kill the rest. And Finally, a 12 gauge for my super dangerous game and home intruders. Load it with buckshot, and cut the barrel off right in front of the tube magazine, or just keep the barrel full length and shoot slugs with lets say a Browning A-bolt slug gun. There is nothing like it.

260 Rem for most everything.

7mm Rem Mag for Way off stuff or the light Elk gun

416Rem Mag for Africa, Alaska or the big Elk rig.

These three will pretty much do what ever has to do be done in the world.

Reviving on old thread here.

I hit 60 in a couple of weeks, so I'm done with the Mag's. Don't care for the recoil and hunted too much to really see why I 'need' the few extra fps.

What I have in the works:

7mm/08
338 Federal

If I had it to do it all over, I'd switch the 223 for a 250 Savage. May still do it, easy re-bore for a 22/250.

45-70 Although I'd never use it
7Mag cause it could take everything in NA- and its all Dad ever needed
And the 250 Savage (AW C'mon- you knew it was coming) :grin: :grin: CL

What with all the love for the 35 Whelen and not one was mentioned?
35 Whelen Ackely Imp because I can shoot the standard in it and it will take just about anything walking in a pinch. My 30-06 and my 257 Roberts should cover everything.

This would be a difficult choice if one needs to consider hunting in a shotgun-only area AND muzzleloader season AND centerfire. A 30-06 (or 280, 28 Nosler,etc) and a 375 H&H would cover centerfire worldwide. But I also need a slug gun and a smoke pole! Especially if I end up in Iowa one day (near my wife's mom), no centerfire there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The resurrection of this thread puts the lie to the thought that nothing lasts forever. :mrgreen: On the Internet, what is written may just last forever. :shock: Still, it is a good thread. Three gun battery? Hard to imagine. For sure a cartridge for predators, though it is difficult to settle on one. I suppose a fast twenty-two centrefire would fill the bill. The 22-250 or the 223 Rem would be my choice. If I was going to handload (which I likely will do), a 220 Swift or a 222 Rem (or 222 Rem Magnum) would likely get the nod. For general hunting in North America, I favour my .280 Rem, though either the 30-06 or 308 is probably more practical. For really large game, there is little question but that the 375 H&H (or 375 Ruger) will git 'er done. I do enjoy my 9.3X64 Brenneke, but it wouldn't qualify in some African jurisdictions. So, one of the .375s will get the nod. Fun to see the eternal questions debated again. (y)

Man we rifle cranks are a weird bunch! 9 years ago I said..

"my 416 bee and my sakos 7mm rum and 300 rum because it is all I have"

fast forward to 2015 and I do not know how but wound up with. 240 257 270 300 30-378 340 378 416 and 460 bees.
also 264 #1, 7mm rem mag voere, savage 30-06
Marlins 30-30, 45-70 limited, 45-70 gbl , 32-20, 444
sako finnwolf in 308
browning BLR 358 and 71 in 348
winchester pre 64 in 32 WS

So much for only 3 for all big game

LOL :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Fotis 9 years ago I only owned 2 a 257 Roberts and a 30-06 since then I have a 300Wby 35 Whelen and now a 35 Whelen AI, still not near your collection of center fire rifles but they still have grown. My Dad only owned one center fire and that was a 30-06. He would say if I can't kill it with that it doesn't need killing. :lol:

Oh by the way Fotis thanks again for the chrony now I know just how fast my loads are for these rifles I own.

truck driver":1rbsz0ku said:
Oh by the way Fotis thanks again for the chrony now I know just how fast my loads are for these rifles I own.

You bet!

Back