30-30...cast bullets or jacketed?

A

Anonymous

I'm thinking about brewing up some loads for my old Marlin. Seeing that this rifle is largely retired and my eyesight doesn't get along with irons much anymore, high performance loads just aren't all that important.

I was thinking about cast bullets, but I've read that micro groove barrels don't do well with cast but i find other data that says the opposite. I'm thinking mild loads in the 1900-2000 fps range and bullets with gas checks.

Any thoughts on weight and powder or just skip it and use plain jacketed FN bullets like the Speer or Hornady?

I’ve loaded hornady’s 160FTX and Hornady 150gn RN( for 3030 speeds). There is a 140gn Monoflex, which is a GMX designed to operate I. 3030 speed range, 1550-2400fps. These all went in to a 303Savage which is similar. I used Leverevolution, 33gn and got 2200fps....Hornady Manual says you can go to 37.0gn with a 160 FTX. I have not loaded cast in a rifle.

I’m sure others have. I enthusiastically recommend the 160FTX, the 303 savage has helped an 8 yr old and 10 year old each harvest a couple deers each of the last two years....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It’s really hard to go wrong with classic 150-170gr jacketed loads.

I knew a guy who used reduced trailboss loads for small game hunting. Using 170gr cast FN @ 1000fps, fun to shoot and very little meat damage on small game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hodgeman":1396p2ss said:
I was thinking about cast bullets, but I've read that micro groove barrels don't do well with cast but i find other data that says the opposite. I'm thinking mild loads in the 1900-2000 fps range and bullets with gas checks.

Any thoughts on weight and powder or just skip it and use plain jacketed FN bullets like the Speer or Hornady?

A Micro-groove barrel will work just fine. (y) Just a bit trickier finding a sweet spot sometimes. Just my opinion but I think bullet sizing is a bit more critical with M/G rifling. For most 30 caliber barrels I've found sizing to .310" works quite well. Bullet choice is up to you but I've gotten my best results in a marlin with Lyman's #311291, a nominally 170 gr. round nose bullet that I've used for years in cartridges ranging from 30-30, a .303 Savage, .308 Win. and 30-06. This bullet takes a gas check. It has a bore riding nose and the best way to find if it will shoot decently in your rifle is stick the nose of the bullet into the muzzle. If it's snag fit or engraved a bit by the rifling it should be accurate in your rifle. A loose or sloppy fit? Accuracy may not be what you're looking for.
I'll give you a prime example. I was shooting a new to me Marlin Texan with #311291 bullets that were a snug fit, bullets seated to slightly engage the rifling. Rifle had an old Weaver 3X scope with post and crosshair. Groups were running in the 2.0 to 2.5" arena. Another fellow at the range was shooting a Marlin 336 and getting patterns plus leading. His bullets were the same as mine but sloppy loose in the muzzle. We cleaned the lead out and I let him run 5 of my rounds. His rifle had a 4X scope but I forget the make. A 2" group right off the bat, no traces of lead. My bullets were made from wheel weights with some tin added. IIRC, his bullets were straight wheel weights. Mine sized .310", his .309". I've often thought of sizing to .3105" to see if groups might be even smaller. Just been too busy to bother.
Powders? I've loaded to near full power with IMR3031, 4895 and lighter loads with #2400 and Unique. You have to do a re-sight in but a 115 to 120 gr. cast bullet with about 5.0 gr. of Unique can be accurate if your gun likes it and makes one hell of a plinker or small game load. The Lyman #311291 in the 2000 FPS range will take deer quite nicely. I haven't lived in an area where the 30-30 is a good choice for hunting for some time now but years back the 30-30 and #311291 accounted for 15 deer and the RCBS #30-180-FN for 2 more. Back then the gun was an M94 Winchester.
Unfortunately, due to caring for a sick wife shooting has been placed on the back burner indefinitely. Last shot I fired was on December 31, 2017 at the cow elk that now sits in my freezer. The 30-30 was not involved. :lol:
Paul B.
Another popular bullet is Lyman's #31141 not call #311041 IIRC. I've never gotten any kind of accuracy from that bullet and I have two molds plus a clone by NEI.

I use both cast and jacketed in my 30-30 Glenfield (Marlin).

The cast bullet is about 147 grains as I recall, and I use a modest dose of Unique pistol powder for these creampuff loads. Don't know the muzzle velocity, but I'd be surprised if it's much over 1200 fps. A real pleasure to shoot.

Then I load 170 gr soft-points of various makes over 3031, or other powders, at full power. "Full power" for the 30-30 though is only about 2,000 fps with a 170 gr jacketed bullet. :) Hardly a fire-breather, but a good cartridge with pretty impressive performance!

Guy

Back