300 Norma

257 Ackley

Handloader
Nov 25, 2008
USMC89 just sent me the pictures of the latest build. He can fill you in on the specs. If it shoots anything like the others, the big game in Montana have a lot to worry about. This should make an interesting rifle for some of the tactical matches next year!!
1107120205.jpg

1107120206.jpg

A set of twins
1107120209.jpg

Those look like a couple of serious rifles, that's for sure.

Can you all show me a picture of the 300 Norma? What is it based on and what type of ballistics does it have???

Are they mating or what? If so keep me a baby!

6mm Remington":12mrz8cc said:
Can you all show me a picture of the 300 Norma? What is it based on and what type of ballistics does it have???

It's almost identical to a .300RUM ballistically but it's 2.5" long and uses the same bolt face as a .338 Lapua/.378 Weatherby.

just think.of a 243 win case but with a 338 lapua diameter. I AM getting 2970 comfortably with a 230 hybrid and 85 grains of retumbo. I fired a ten shot rapid fire string to break in the barrel and it cut a 3/4 Inch hole. the beauty of the 2.5 inch case is the fact you don't have to run a bullet past its gills to get it to fit in the magazine like you do.with.an ultra mag case. 3.620" is the overall case length and they feed like a champion. should be a good long distance rifle. Bruce did a superb job again.

usmc 89":3sc9o1xb said:
just think.of a 243 win case but with a 338 lapua diameter. I AM getting 2970 comfortably with a 230 hybrid and 85 grains of retumbo. I fired a ten shot rapid fire string to break in the barrel and it cut a 3/4 Inch hole. the beauty of the 2.5 inch case is the fact you don't have to run a bullet past its gills to get it to fit in the magazine like you do.with.an ultra mag case. 3.620" is the overall case length and they feed like a champion. should be a good long distance rifle. Bruce did a superb job again.
Thanks. That does sound like a well thought out case. The rifles do look pretty darn sharp also!

the cerakote is dark earth, i am going to put a lighter and darker " than the base color it is now"woodland camo on the stock when i have time this winter. bruce also built the brake which is extremely efficient. I hate brakes but it will have to do until the suppressor gets here. i have three ladies coming over tomorrow to shoot does off the ranch i may get to use it if a rodeo breaks out. "rodeo" the act of shooting a deer in a less than desireable spot while leaving it with enough life to get into the neighbors place two miles away. So far it is shooting extremely well and am looking forward to killing a coyote with it past the 1k mark. Bruce is also building me a new 6.5-284 over the winter for matches using the lawton i had on the old one and a manners t-4. i had recently bought a folding mcree stock for the old one and could not shoot it very well on account of the hand position, sold that and bought the manners. may be building a short barreled suppresed 6.5x47 or 260 in the spring depending on how much overtime i can stomach over the winter. I have had a few offers on ebay for the kidney i put up to pay for the optics so we should be golden.

i am sorry joel, thanks for posting the pics. you need to come out this winter and do some coyote hunting with me. lots of them this year, shot fourteen so far, the last one being a big red mangy male, will send you a pic to post later on. thanks again.

Those are beautiful, I really could have used one last week. I am to old to sell my body parts, so I am out of luck. Congratulations on a pair of fine rifles.

My body parts are already worn out or replaced with whatever, where ever. So, those are pretty rifles and I do like them but can't go there.

Jeff -
Hopefully there will be time to make a trip out for yotes this winter. I am flying to Taiwan in February to visit my daughter and could build another rifle for what that trip will cost. :roll: It should be interesting to see how the "new" 6.5X284 shoots with the Manners stock.
I am really looking forward to getting the 6BR from Bruce in a few weeks to start working up loads. He should be getting the stock from McMillan today. I will be heading to the range later this week to do some load tests with the 6.5X47. I got all the brass prepped last night after getting back from deer camp and can focus on trying to find the right bullet/primer/seating depth now.
How did the "rodeo" go??? Did the gals educate some of the herd hanging around the house? :lol:

Hey Joel. sorry for taking so long to respond. there wasn't a rodeo apparently 30 seconds isn't long enough to.get on a deer at 150 yards broadside. I am out of the take someone hunting theater. I have passed on several decent whitetails but nothing bigger than what I have already. I am finding I don't enjoy killing deer or elk as I once did. call me a wuss or whatever but I am thinking I am going to stick primarily with predators from now on???

I just graduated form being a deer hunting to being an elk hunter. That changes the whole game, especially when you are physically handicapped and 100% disabled. Just more challenges for me to deal with.

Back