300 RUM 189 Hammer Hunters H1000

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
So I got a bunch of Hammer's to try out. The 300 RUM has been a pretty easy one for the most part. I decided to use H1000 and CCI250's for this project.

It was my first foray into this bullet and cartridge and they don't seem to typically track with data from other weights of bullets.

So I gradually kept inching up till I was start to see some consistency in the numbers. All of them seemed to be trending to 2-1 shot. So I shortened them .020" tried 96 and 97 grains.

I can't swear to it, but I think I moved that one out of the group.

Anyhow, I loaded up 96-96.5-97 for the next range session.

This is the first rifle I am getting close with the Hammers. They seem to shoot pretty easily though. I should get out in the next week or so to shoot the others, but I could be okay with the 189's at 3300'ish.

Welcome to the madness!
HA! I kinda wanna try them on a few animals this year, so I ordered them up for the old 338, 7 Mashburn, 300 RUM, 7-08 and 270.. I've watched as a few folks have had pretty good results with them hunting, so like always, I can't stand to not give them a try. I am really kicking my own butt for messing with the Mashburn as it just shoots amazing with the 175 ABLR and put three elk straight on their noses last fall, but a fella just has to try, right? :cool:

All of them seemed to be trending to 2-1 shot.
That’s the issue I have in my 257 Wby and the boy’s too. I’m thinking in spring in lengthening the COAL to make up for the excess freebore.
You have a promising load at 96grs👍

That’s the issue I have in my 257 Wby and the boy’s too. I’m thinking in spring in lengthening the COAL to make up for the excess freebore.
You have a promising load at 96grs👍
I am looking forward to shooting them again. I am very much looking forward to seeing how they work on elk/deer this fall.

I really like them. For me it has been the easiest bullet to find an accurate load with.

I really like them. For me it has been the easiest bullet to find an accurate load with.
The nice thing is any/all of them are available at any time of the day. 2-3 days later, they are in the mailbox. Plus they're cool to Vet's as well.

The nice thing is any/all of them are available at any time of the day. 2-3 days later, they are in the mailbox. Plus they're cool to Vet's as well.
You nailed it , no waiting for a production run. Buy , shipped and received all in a week.

Lee FCD buddy! Hammers love a crimp.
Bottom target no crimp, next up 1/8 turn crimp, next up 1/4 turn and top target still 1/4 but moved poi.
I will definitely try that next. I think the 300 will be okay without. The 338 may benefit. I do have a FCD for that one.

So I got back out yesterday, I loaded 3 sets of 3 rounds, all at 3.530 and 97 grains of H1000.

Everything is pretty muddy right now, so I used the ol Colorado hard cover as a standing bench..

Went down and checked the target and thought man, a blind squirrel does find a nut now and again..

After walking down and seeing this group, I decided to keep the last three in order to shoot long with. Ended up going home and loading the last of them up so I can shoot them out a bit further to see what they do at distance.

But I am calling this one done for now.

Nice work Scotty. That 300 RUM is ready to hunt.

JD338

Another fine load. At that velocity it will reach out and touch whatever needs killing.

That is a killer load for any North American game. Good job on the load developments. 3300 fps with a 190 grain Hammer hits like a train.

Back