300 RUM 200 ABs

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
Well, I loaded up some stuff to see if I could find an elk load I liked for the 300 RUM. I had some 175 TLRs, 181 Hammers and 200 ABs.

I used RL25 for the Hammers and 175 TLRs. The TLRs did pretty well but the Hammers didn’t perk all that well.

They’re a great looking bullet but I think having to seat them so deep to function through the magazine didn’t do them any favors.

The 175 TLRs were bad either.

I ran a ladder with the 200 AB and RL25 and Retumbo. Here is what I came up with.

Retumbo for about 3150

And RL25 for about 3195

Here is what they looked like at 300 yards as well.

Retumbo

RL25

So, to my eyes both are about the same. I’m running a 6x36 LR on that rifle and it’d probably be a bit better with more x’s but they work for killing elk and deer.

I might try and shorten them up a little and see what changes but I’m pretty happy with it as is for a critter getter!

Great speed and good shooting!

300RUM what a great cartridge!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is the group measurement at 300 yards?

I'm liking them 200g ABs at almost 3200fps. I remember smacking a few elk with that combo years back, and it lays em down HARD!

FOTIS":26t0bur0 said:
What is the group measurement at 300 yards?

No darned idea! :lol:

I'll grab a ruler later on and put some measurements on them.

remingtonman_25_06":26t0bur0 said:
I'm liking them 200g ABs at almost 3200fps. I remember smacking a few elk with that combo years back, and it lays em down HARD!

Yeah, that might be a hammer Jorey. Might have to give the old SuperGrade a chance to earn it's keep!

remingtonman_25_06":3v6mx38o said:

I may remember you posting about that a while back.

Years ago I got a 700 CDL in 300 RUM. Retumbo and the 200 grain AccuBond was a terrific combo. Also, 200 gr Partitions in the factory load were quite good. Both had good velocity and good accuracy. But that CDL was pretty lively in 300 RUM. :grin:

Probably should have braked that rifle, instead I sold it and got a good 300 WSM, which I shot better.

Guy

That’s about as well as I can measure out here. Pretty decent. Mostly under MOA.

Scotty things are looking good with the 200 AB. I used retumbo right at 3200 and it shot very well, under moa a long ways out there. I have however switched to Magnum, not quite the same velocity, 3080 but it delivers even better accuracy. I could lean on it a little more to up the speed, haven't tried it yet as the current load provides amazing accuracy, more than enough for my elk hunting needs.

OU812":h9tpgtd2 said:
Scotty things are looking good with the 200 AB. I used retumbo right at 3200 and it shot very well, under moa a long ways out there. I have however switched to Magnum, not quite the same velocity, 3080 but it delivers even better accuracy. I could lean on it a little more to up the speed, haven't tried it yet as the current load provides amazing accuracy, more than enough for my elk hunting needs.

I remember that now Bill. Totally forgot about you using Magnum in your load.

I shot tonight at 300 and both loads shot virtually the same, right at 2”. I’m not sure which powder to pick now. I’ll also shorten up my load a hair to see if I can pull the one that kicks out of the group. I’ve seen it enough now with both loads to know it’s the load and not me.

Back when I had that rifle, the 200 gr AccuBond and 95 grains of Retumbo for 3,000+ fps was considered quite the load. My rifle produced nearly 3200 fps and good accuracy.

The .300 RUM is quite a cartridge, no doubt about it.

Guy

Scotty,
You have two great loads and either one will do the job for you. I'd pick the load that has the lowest ES and SD. The 200 gr AB at 3150-3200 fps is going to be the Hammer of Thor with surgical precision.
Nicely done buddy!

JD338

I'll take some empties home this weekend and reload them back up. I believe I am going to shorten them just a little and see if I can bring them together a little more but overall I am fairly happy with it. The rifle is a tank though, going over 9lb's. It is one of those times I wished I had a spare Legend sitting around I could drop it in. It'd be nice to drop a pound from the gun and put a NF 2.5x10 on top.

sako2":2c7tp683 said:
sjb did you ever try rl33 in it. works really well in my friends 300rum.

I haven’t yet. It’s really the last one I should try. I know it should work real well in that big devil.

Scotty, many moons ago helped a friend with a 26" factory barreled Rem 700 SPS. Stumbled quickly into 92 grains of Retumbo with 200 AB. Length was pretty short; don't recall, as magazine allowed 3.6 or slightly under if memory serves and it shot repeatedly sub MOA at 100. Like 5/8-3/4". It was a handful from the bench too.

Might get a little more velocity with the Reloders powders but Retumbo very solid on temp sensitivity. Hope you have both on hand as next to impossible to get right now.

Good luck!

Frank, I believe I’m going to stick with Retumbo for this year at least. It’s shooting pretty decent on average. I’ll shoot it some more this week to get everything lined up. I suspect once I Start shooting from the ground over my pack the little differences will disappear since I can only hold so well anyhow.

I’ve got plenty of Retumbo to get me through this year anyhow. I have a good amount of 33 on hand for my 7 Mashburn. I’ll just stick with Retumbo though, it’s already getting pretty late in the year for me to be messing with loads.

Very nice. I think you’ve got plenty of speed there without having to push it to the edge. Will be interesting to hear which one will be your choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back