300 rum

Remmy

Beginner
Jun 7, 2006
Has anyone shot the 300 RUM in the Reminton XCR or the SPS? If so what is the recoil like? I heard with the sims recoil pad the boot is minimal. I am looking at either picking up a 7mm, 300 win mag or the 300 RUM. I sold my 338 model 70 sporter due to recoil. I dont want to step up to that again. Thanks

I haven't shot the Sims but the Pachmyer Decelerator pad on my 338 RUM had a big difference. No problem shooting 20-25 rounds from tbe bench and field positions, including prone.
The 300 RUM shouldn't be a problem .

JD338

Remmy
I've always been a light caliber fan. I have a .300RUM in a Sendero ( I know quite a bit heavier ) But recoil is actually managable. So far I'm impressed with the caliber.

My 300 SPS SS has far less recoil than my T/C .54 Renegade does. That thing can put the hurt to you with a Maxiball and 100 grains of FFF!

Thanks for the info, I think I am going grab a 300rum and let the big dog bark. Thanks again.

The .300 RUM generates muzzle energy over 4000... It's a powerful rifle. Recoil will be there, but a good stock design and a good recoil pad make it shootable. I picked up one in a 700 CDL a few months ago and have been very impressed with the rifle.

Recoil is there, but not painful because of the good stock & recoil pad.

Power? How about factory loaded 200 grain Nosler Partitions chronographed at 3190 fps average from the factory 26" sporter barrel! Put a smile on my face!

Regards, Guy

I love the Limbsaver pads, they are for real yet i cant say much for the Remington 700 SPS as a rifle. I had one in 270 WSM and i had nothing but problems. It shot well as all remingtons typically do but the ergonomics were terrible-very cheap. Ejection probs, extraction probs, loading probs, magazine probs, you name it, it happened. Maybe i just go the one of one thousand but i like to put the word on the street to be extra critical. I prefer an old school remington or model 70 winchester if it was me. Plus, a 300 RUM is going to kick more than most no matter the rifle or pad, I would go with the 300 Win, If you dont like the kick of a 338 you wont like the 300 Rum recoil.

Thanks for the input. As I walked in to pick up the 300 rum I changed my mind and went with the 300 win mag.

:) I've had the chance to work up some loads for my friends 300 RUM in a 700XCR. This rifle topped with a 3-12x56 Scmidt and Bender has been impressive. The trigger could use some tweaking. A load of 105.0 grains of Retumbo and 150 Nosler Accu Bonds with Federal 215 primers will shoot one inch groups at 100 yards. The recoil pad does a very good job of soaking up the recoil so the rifle is pleasant to shoot. I have not shot any bullets heavier than 150 grs. though. Velocity for the above load averaged 3707 fps at 15 feet from the muzzle over my Shooting Chrony. If I had to replace my STW this is what I would purchase.

:shock: Zowie! A 150 at 3700 fps... That oughta take care of business...

I was thinking more in terms of a 180 or 200 grain bullet, although a friend suggested some barn-burner loads with a good 165 grain bullet... 150's at 3700 fps... Yikes! Dunno about penetration, but it oughta have some kind of affect on target!

I was able to get 3650fps with 105g of H-1000 out of my 300 RUM and 150g combined tech btips. I would not use them for deer hunting unless your shots are over 300 yards. You will not get any kind of penetration with this kinda speed. It would be an awesome coyote bullet for long range. My load was very accurate, giving 1/2 moa out to 800 yards. I would think the 165g would be the lowest bullet I would shoot out of a RUM for deer. The 180g is better, and the 200g or various 210-220g bullets really take the 300 RUM to another level. Big case=big bullets!

I would should a few deer before I could develop an opinion on whether the bullets will penetrate or not.

STW - don't get me wrong - I think that thing is going to zap deer like a lightning bolt hit 'em! Very impressive velocity.

I was just thinking that the heavier bullets tend to penetrate more, and I bought my .300 RUM more with the idea of using it on bigger game where deeper penetration might be required. Strongly suspect though that it will end up being used time to time on our local mule deer! I have only shot it with 200 grain bullets so far, and at this point I don't have any plans to drop below 180's, but now that you've got my interest up... I just might have to try a few 165's and 150's too... Just for giggles if nothing else!

Regards, Guy

We went up for the grand opening of the sportsmen warehouse in bend he bought a 700 sps in 300 rum for $399. I don't think he has even shot it yet.

My SPS in 25-06 has issues. Does not shoot very tight groups. Wondering if I should have gotten something different. New Jewell trigger on the way and a bedding job is planned. I was really hoping this would have shot good out of the box.

elkslayer308":3rdj0xm0 said:
I love the Limbsaver pads, they are for real yet i cant say much for the Remington 700 SPS as a rifle. I had one in 270 WSM and i had nothing but problems. It shot well as all remingtons typically do but the ergonomics were terrible-very cheap. Ejection probs, extraction probs, loading probs, magazine probs, you name it, it happened. Maybe i just go the one of one thousand but i like to put the word on the street to be extra critical. I prefer an old school remington or model 70 winchester if it was me. Plus, a 300 RUM is going to kick more than most no matter the rifle or pad, I would go with the 300 Win, If you dont like the kick of a 338 you wont like the 300 Rum recoil.

That's very true-I have both a 338 win mag and a 300rum-recoil is very close on the 2.

I have purchased a xcr 300ultramag. I had the triger set at 2.75lbs and a muzzle brack put on, it is just fine to shoot. The kick is less than my bdl 30-06. I think you would of been happy with this set up instead of the 300wsm. So I thought I would tell others about the 300 so they would have some info.. I have been shooting 180 gain serras but have loaded some combined technology silver tip. The serras have shot ecelant but I havent killed anything with it. So I don't know how they will perform. I hope the silver tips shoot as accuarate as the serr. I hope you have good luck with your new gun. Happy shooting

Doing more load testing with the .300 RUM, and so far things are looking real good!

428990.jpg

428991.jpg

428994.jpg

428995.jpg

The 700 CDL looks good. Handles great. The limbsaver takes the sting out of shooting the big .30 cal and overall I really like the rifle. I need to play with the loads a bit more, and the trigger could use some work. Otherwise I'm happy. I have not yet tried the Nosler AccuBond, but I understand they are "the bullet" for this big .30 cal.

It's really just a big pussycat to shoot! Regards, Guy

Guy,

Nice looking rifle! You are correct, the RUM's a big pussy cats if you put a good recoil pad on 'em.
The AB's are great bullets too. I shot my 338 RUM the other night and shot a 3 shot group at 418 yds that measured 2.265". Two shots were .507". Scope is a VXIII 2.5x8 with M1 dials.

JD338

Back