300 Weatherby and 6.5 at 500 yards

beretzs":3tag5tks said:
That is a very sharp looking rifle! It is one of them rifles that looks like it is going 100MPH sitting still! Scotty

Thanks Scotty. This is my first Weatherby and It didn't disappoint me. the rifle balanced well and the design of the stock was well thought out. I like it's portability and it's longer reach. I'll be hunting with this rifle a lot in the future.

I am thinking one of these days I would like to try out an Accumark. They look like great shooting rifles. My buddy has one in a 300 Wby like yours and his wifes is a 270 Wby. Both are very nice rifles. I think one of them in a 340 or the like would be an excellent rifle. How is the weight on them? Scotty

You can't go wrong with an Accumark. I waited 35 years to finally but a Weatherby and it was a mistake. I wish now that my first rifle was a Weatherby. I have an Accumark in 257 wby mag and it is a laser that shoots bughole groups. 3/4" groups at 300 yards are normal. :grin: :grin:

I shot it today. This rifle is on. I changed scopes and sighted back in.
My load is 73.0 grains H1000 115 berger 9 1/2M rem primer or a fed 215M. My oal is 3.360". They both work great. 3292fps av velocity. I can drive it much faster, but group size increases. Never more than 1" though. I shoot this load to 600 yards and it maintains 0.5 moa all the way out. I just changed my scope from a 10 power to a 16 power. I can't wait to see if it makes a difference for me. :grin: :grin:

Thanks. I have been shooting the 100gr TTSX over Ramshot Magnum with pretty good results. I do have h1000. Might have to give it a try in the 257.

Rl 25 also works great with this bullet. It is flatter than other bullets at distance. I've tried all the 100 grainers. The 110 AccuBond is really great at 100 yards, but does not perform well for me at distances past 200 yards, Groups open. The berger is stellar at long range. It is flatter for me than the ballistics charts show. A 300 yard zero is only 2.5" high at 100 and never higher than 3.5" along the way. 73.0 grains H1000 is over listed max, but I worked up to this and have no signs of pressure. Maybe it's due to the seating depth. It's out far increasing case capacity. Work up to it though. H1000 is very consistent and does not change much due to ambient conditions. Let me know how it works for you. :grin: :grin:

Wow, that is a laser. Can't hardly get much better than that for flat shooting! I bet the 257 knocks the stuffing out of the deer. How do the Bergers hold up to the 257/deer? I know they work differently, just wondering what they actually do to the deer. Scotty

It is a laser indeed. I have a 338 win and a 300 win and believe me this 257 is a laser. I have not had the chance to shoot a deer with the bergers yet. I just got a 338 win in a Vanguard and hunted with it this year and killed 2 deer with it and one with my revolver. I'm very anxious to hunt with it though. The accubonds, gs customs and tsx's sure do kill. The bullet speed at impact is incredible. Impact velocities can be over 3000 fps at 200 yards and even 300 yards with the 100 grainers. The accuracy of this cartridge is also amazing. :grin: :grin:

Thats sounds pretty interesting GB. I have liked the 257 Wby for awhile. That is another rifle on my short list to get one of these days. My safe is devoid of a .25 cal, so I think the Weatherby would be a neat rifle to have. Scotty

Back