300wsm 165 grain bullet for elk

brianwyo

Beginner
Oct 4, 2010
About a year and half ago I bought a Sako Finnlight 300wsm and I topped it off with a Swarovski Z5 3.5x18. I need to learn how to post pictures the rifle looks great. I want to use a 165 grain bullet for anything in Wyoming. I have used Partitions in various calibers on elk for 20 years with great success. Some of the newer 165 grain AccuBond, Etip and TTSX bullets interest me. I want hear about some experiances on elk with these bullets. My requirments are accuracy, large exit wounds and flat shooting. Any good loads are appreciated. I was too busy last year so didnt get to use it. I WILL use this rifle this fall. Thanks Brian

brianwyo that sounds like a great rifle you have. Sure like to see some photo's. I think your choices of bullets is spot on including the mighty Partition. I would use whatever your rifle shoots the best out of those you listed.

As soon as my son gets money saved for a scope for his new Winchester EW SS in 300 WSM I have to start load work on it. I plan on trying to find a load for the 180 gr. AccuBond first. My buddies rilfe really liked IMR4831 and H4831SC with that bullet in his 300 WSM. I know you are going to load for the 165 gr. and that will be a great bullet for that rifle as well. I used Federal large magnum primers and Winchester cases in my load work for my buddy.

If it was me I would try in this order AccuBond, Partition, and then E-tip, but all the bullets you listed are great and would answer what you are asking of it. Good luck!
David

165/168 grain bullets seem most popular for most people shooting the 300 WSM. I'm somewhat reactionary, however, shooting 180s, and more recently drifting toward 200 grain bullets. As for accuracy, I've worked up loads on quite a few rifles during the past several years, and none have been a dog in the accuracy department. I've owned two 300 WSMs, and each shot 0.5 MOA. Sounds to me as if you have a great rifle (the Sakos I have shot were all great) and an excellent scope (I have two Z6s, and the Z5s are every bit as clear). I can't imagine that you'll have a problem finding a good load. If I had a bit of advice, it would be to focus on the bullet you want and take a hard look at Nosler's recommendations for accuracy. H380, RL19 and IMR4831 have all produced outstanding accuracy with 165/168 bullets for me.

I think there is some great data for the 300WSM and Superformance powder and 165's. That may warrant a look too.

Good luck, with your loading Bryan, can't see why a 165gr PT or AB wouldn't be a great overall load for your 300WSM. Great cartridge, can't wait to see some pictures of it. Scotty

That sounds like a heck of a rig... always wanted a Sako and I drool over the Swaros.

I think I might lean the same way as you with regards to bullets in my EW .300 WSM, despite my usual choice of the heaviest bullet that is practical... I can somewhat justify it because I shoot 180s out of my M70 .300 Winchester and when I get around to scoping it, I'll probably shoot 200s in my M700 .300 Weatherby. And probably 180s out of my '06, when I get around to working with it.

Hmm, come to think of it, I might end up shooting the same bullet in my .300 Savage M99 as in my WSM. Odd.

Well, this is a Nosler forum, but I have to suggest you try the 168 grain Barnes TSX in your 300 WSM.

I own two Remington model 700's chambered in 300 WSM and both shoot great groups using the 168 grain TSX, H 4350 powder, Fed 215M primers, and Winchester cases. I get around 3100 fps with this load.

I have not shot anything but coyotes and hogs with this load so far, but the performance has been outstanding. I shot a coyote while hog hunting last Sunday that was a good example. The coyote had spotted me and was running wide open, perfect broadside at about 100 yards. I was lucky enough to land one of those 168's right in the middle of the ribcage. That coyote slid about 5 more yards from his momentum, but he was dead when he hit the ground. The exit wound was NOT fur friendly even on this small of an animal.

A friend took the same load to Africa last summer and killed a bunch of plains game. He said everything he shot was down right there, no tracking needed, period.

I've read enough tales of Barnes performance to know they will do the trick, but Nosler's in my home state, and I always try them out first. I couldn't get 120 Partitions to shoot in my .25-06, so I loaded some Barnes X (the original ones) and shot them for a number of years.

When I want to shoot cheap bullets, I tend to look to Speer for the same reason, they employ a bunch of people in the town that I'd like to end up in.

I love Speers. Seems like they aren't as popular as they once were, but they make alot of great bullets and their Hot Cors are great hunting bullets. Plus, they are usually pretty accurate out of my rifles. Another plus is there are quite a few Speers that are identical to Nosler PT's so they make great companion loads that can be shot for less money with the same load.

Sorry for the Speer rant, but they do make quality bullets at a great price. Scotty

There aren't too many bullet manufacturers in the States that are producing garbage. Perhaps one particular bullet fails to shoot in a given rifle, but it is a virtual certainty that there is one from another firm that will shoot well. We are living in one of the best of times when it comes to components.

DrMike":268sb9m3 said:
There aren't too many bullet manufacturers in the States that are producing garbage. Perhaps one particular bullet fails to shoot in a given rifle, but it is a virtual certainty that there is one from another firm that will shoot well. We are living in one of the best of times when it comes to components.

Well spoken Mike! You are right about that. I do like Speers though. Always been a very serviceable bullet for me. Scotty

There's a little sporting goods store in Lewiston, ID that used to, at least, sell Speer seconds... by the pound. I picked up a couple of pounds of .429" 300 Gold Dots, and .358" 250 SPs. Buying bullets by total weight is a little odd...

I'm thinking if I went in there now, my plastic would be crying for mercy.

BK":1y2rr0d7 said:
There's a little sporting goods store in Lewiston, ID that used to, at least, sell Speer seconds... by the pound. I picked up a couple of pounds of .429" 300 Gold Dots, and .358" 250 SPs. Buying bullets by total weight is a little odd...

I'm thinking if I went in there now, my plastic would be crying for mercy.

Mine too BK! Love buying in bulk! Just got my latest shipment of SPS bullets today. Always a small Christmas when bullets show up. Scotty

Oh man, it's bad for me. I've a bunch of friends that when I go to visit, I drive right by SPS. And stop frequently. Could be worse. I dropped a resume off at a Civil Engineering/Surveying place two blocks from Nosler. That would have been bad...

I load for a friend 300 WSM. I use 168 grain Barnes TSX and it works really well for him. I think it is an ideal WSM bullet for elk.

He recovered this bullet from a California Mule deer. It was a frontal chest cavity shot at 200 yards. The bullet was recovered at one of the ham after traveling the whole length of the deer. Weight retention is 99.9%.

AZone09.jpg

CIMG0681.jpg

Here is the picture of the finnlight and his 2 bigger brothers. one is 300win and its twin 338win.
I do love my sako/swarovski. I have a box of each 165AB, 168ETIP, 168TTSX and 165GMX. Which one will pass through and or bust both shoulders on an elk.

All the non lead will and the AccuBond (my favorite) will with 180 gr. The only real good, tough bullet you haven't mentioned is the Swift A-Frame. It will retain 95% of it's weight and it's short for it's weight which is nice if case capacity is an issue. It will also mushroom dependably!
Greg

Brian,

That is a fine looking trio of rifles. I must say I love Swarovski scopes. They are great.

DrMike":qqtymyg6 said:
Brian,

That is a fine looking trio of rifles. I must say I love Swarovski scopes. They are great.

DrMike,

I love them too but I really hate paying for them. Do you have any experiace with there ballistic turret system. The 300WSM finnlight has that scope and it is real interesting. What's your take on that system? Thanks Brian

Brian,

I mounted a Z6 1.7-10X42 with BT on my newest 280 Rem. I haven't really used the turrets yet as I'm still doing load development with the rifle. I intend to use it this fall, however. My latest is a Z6 with TDS reticle w/o the BT. It is slated to be mounted on a 9.3 X 64 Brenneke.

DrMike,

Let me know how things work out with your .280 and that Z6. I too have a .280. I use 160 partitions on Antelope, Deer and cow elk. It seems to be the one rifle that gets used at least once every year.

Back