338 Lapua Reload beginnings

losthelegend

Beginner
Nov 26, 2012
This is my first post so please be nice! I have read alot of posts and tried to gather as much information as I can.

Here is my set up:

Remington 700 action trued & blueprinted chambered in a 338 Lapua
Bell and Carlson Medalist Varmit/tactical stock
28"--1 in 9" #7 contour Barrel
Center Shot 4 port Magnum Brake
Timney Trigger set @ 2 lbs
Ext Mag Box

I have tried some nosler 250 accubonds with h1000 and am not really satisfied with the results so far. The groups have not been as tight as I would have expected. I have just picked up a box of 300 gr accubonds and am going to try h1000 again. I am willing to try different powders but the pickings have been slim lately so I have 3 lbs of H1000.

I am going to start with 89 gr and work my way up .5 gr at a time. Nosler calls for a max load of 91 gr. How does this schedule sound? Should I start lower than 89 gr? I am also going to start with bullet being .020 off of the lands. After I find a good grouping I will adjust the OAL closer to the lands at .005" per load. Does anyone see any problems with plan? I am fairly proficient in reloading but have only loaded smaller calibers(270 win, 308 and 22-250). I am not looking for any shortcuts but with this much powder inches from my face and hands I just want to be sure that I am on the right track. I would hate to ruin my first custom rifle. Any information or constructive criticism is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance for all of your input.

I would start at about 87grs and work up. My Edge (which has more capacity than a Lapua) likes 89grs of H-1000 with 300gr Sierra MK's. AB's typically like a bit more jump so I would start at about .010" off and increase the jump from there at about .020" to .030" additional per try.

losthelegend,

Welcome to the forum. We're always pleased to see others joining us. You are loading for a great cartridge. IdahoCTD has given you some excellent advice. With that much case capacity, I'd cover a somewhat larger case fill than you suggested. Keep us posted on your progress. If you have a chance, throw up a picture of your rifle. I know that others would appreciate seeing what you are working with. Give us a bit of background on the build; I'm certain it would be of interest.

losthelegend

Welcome to the forum.

Ya just gotta love those fast 33's.
Take a look at Retumbo. Works very well in my 338 RUM. The 250 gr AB is running 2990 fps and .5 MOA.

JD338

Thank you for all of the quick responses! I will get pics up tonight if I have time! I just have a couple of quick questions:

With that much case capacity, I'd cover a somewhat larger case fill than you suggested.

Can you expand on this? I dont really understand what you mean.

I will definately check out the Retumbo! I will be in Utah next week so I will be looking for some in SLC.

Thanks again for all of the input!

Losthelegend, welcome aboard :) you definitely have a calibre that will reach out and touch something :wink:. Look forward to hearing good results & maybe even a few photographs?

Blessings,
Dan

losthelegend":3lfa9fea said:
Thank you for all of the quick responses! I will get pics up tonight if I have time! I just have a couple of quick questions:

With that much case capacity, I'd cover a somewhat larger case fill than you suggested.

I will definately check out the Retumbo! I will be in Utah next week so I will be looking for some in SLC.

I wouldn't test in small increments as one grain increments will not change your velocities drastically. Also, for the initial test, rather than selecting a mid-range load as a starting point, I'd be more inclined to load a range covering four to six grains below max.

DrMike":1glyam4d said:
losthelegend":1glyam4d said:

I wouldn't test in small increments as one grain increments will not change your velocities drastically. Also, for the initial test, rather than selecting a mid-range load as a starting point, I'd be more inclined to load a range covering four to six grains below max.

Thank you for the clarification! I started five grains below nosler book max and hopefully be able to get out this weekend to test these round! I loaded three of each and will shoot the targets in a round robin style and see what kind of grouping I get. Thanks again for all of your guys input!

Welcome aboard the forum.

Sounds like a really nice rifle. The other 338 shooters should have you on target pretty quick..

Congrats and welcome to the forum! The 338 lapua is a great rifle. I am having great luck using the hornady match 250 grain bullets and A CCI BR-2 primer. I started low and worked up. I am currently at 98 grains of H1000 using hornady brass seated at 3.650. This is a HOT load in some rifles but work up slow. This load is going 2979 FPS out of my savage rifle. I have shot this load out to 1400 yards with greater than expected results. Once you find the sweet spot stick with it and practice, as it will be addicting! Let me know when you have found the load and I can run it through my exbal program for you.

The one slow burning powder which seems to still be on the shelves in this area is IMR 7828 SSC. This is a good powder for 250 grain bullets in the Lapua Magnum. I used it for years in the .340 Weatherby and they are not that much different in case capacity.

I just did a bunch of load development on my DTA in 338 along with a buddies surgeon remedy, both preferred the H1000 with the 250 class bullets, and retumbo with the 300 class. I use the 250 and 300 grain berger otm , and he uses the 250 and 300 grain scenars. Both rifles shoot extremely well and i would do your testing at 300
or better before getting rid of a load of counting it out. I hit my accuracy node with 94 grains of H1000 with the 250s and 90.5 with retumbo and the 300s

Back