375RUM Scope Power

Richracer1

Handloader
May 12, 2005
I just got a 375RUM and was looking for opinions about what POWER of scope to put on it. I was thinking a 2.5-8x, 3.5-10x, or a 4.5-14x. What do you think. Hunting could be from under 100yds to over 300yds.

This isn't a discussion on what brand, just a request for opinions on what power.

Thanks

Rich,

I really like the VXIII 2.5x8. I had one on my 338 RUM and shot a bull elk at 350 yards. I have also shot out to 500 yards and had no problems potting the cross hairs on a 6" bulls eye. This scope also offers great eye releif.

If it were me, I would also consider the VXIII 3.5x10x40mm just for a little more magnification that is helpful for load development.

Another option to consider is the B&C reticle.

JD338

definately 3-9x40, you can always get a better quality scope in this magnifacation for a more reasonable price, the ziess conquest is a great scope as are a few of the leupold line. Also 3x is plenty low power and 9x is plenty high for any big game hunting.

I have a 3-9x40 conquest on my 300 rum and will have its twin on my coming soon custom 375 RUM.

Without getting into the standard questions... ie. what are you going to hunt, where, conditions, I would choose 3.5-10 first, 2.5-8 second, and 4.5-14 last.

Of course, there's always the option of a straight 6x42...

Richracer1":3frmucg8 said:
I just got a 375RUM and was looking for opinions about what POWER of scope to put on it. I was thinking a 2.5-8x, 3.5-10x, or a 4.5-14x. What do you think. Hunting could be from under 100yds to over 300yds.

This isn't a discussion on what brand, just a request for opinions on what power.

Thanks
.............The magnification choice should really depend on under what hunting conditions, the game and of course the hunting distances.

If your use is going to be primarily as a DGR (dangerous game rifle), where animal chargings can occur at shorter distances, I would not consider a 3.5x to a 4.5x on the low end. I would instead consider a 1.5-5x20 (like on my own 375), with a much better FOV, faster target acquisition and aiming with both eyes open capability set on the low end.

The 5x on the high end is very adequate out to 300-350 yards even on deer sized game. The 1.5x5 variable offers less scope weight, quickness, fast aiming on the low end and the longer range precision capability on the high end when needed. When hunting, most hunters never use more than a 5x to 6x setting anyway, even for 500 yard shots. For everyone, the higher the magnification, the more the scope wobble which in turn takes longer to steady for the shot.

Although the FOV is less, another good choice as a DGR scope, is the 1.75-6x32 which offers the same things.

The very top variable imo for any 375, is the one choice your considering, the 2.5x8. But the 1.5x5 remains my 1st pick followed by the 1.75x6.

Just remember, the 375 RUM shoots as flat as the the 7mm rem mag so do not discount its long range ability!

260 AB at 3000 fps---- 375 rum

160 Ab at 3050 fps---7mm rem mag

Big Squeeze":hiw0yx76 said:
Richracer1":hiw0yx76 said:

Thanks
.............The magnification choice should really depend on under what hunting conditions, the game and of course the hunting distances.

If your use is going to be primarily as a DGR (dangerous game rifle), where animal chargings can occur at shorter distances, I would not consider a 3.5x to a 4.5x on the low end. I would instead consider a 1.5-5x20 (like on my own 375), with a much better FOV, faster target acquisition and aiming with both eyes open capability set on the low end.

The 5x on the high end is very adequate out to 300-350 yards even on deer sized game. The 1.5x5 variable offers less scope weight, quickness, fast aiming on the low end and the longer range precision capability on the high end when needed. When hunting, most hunters never use more than a 5x to 6x setting anyway, even for 500 yard shots. For everyone, the higher the magnification, the more the scope wobble which in turn takes longer to steady for the shot.

Although the FOV is less, another good choice as a DGR scope, is the 1.75-6x32 which offers the same things.

The very top variable imo for any 375, is the one choice your considering, the 2.5x8. But the 1.5x5 remains my 1st pick followed by the 1.75x6.

I'll be using the 375RUM for these nasty CA blacktail. These things have a very bad temper.

NOT... Nosler hasn't produced a CA legal bullet for the 375s yet, I don't want to shoot Barnes. I have nothing against Barbes, never used them, just don't want to use them. The game this will be used on is elk, moose, bear, and what ever else I have a tag for. Yes, completely and totally over-the-top with this caliber, I just wanted a 375RUM to finish off the family.

I think I'll go with a 3.5-10x.

POP":10qlckco said:
Just remember, the 375 RUM shoots as flat as the the 7mm rem mag so do not discount its long range ability!

260 AB at 3000 fps---- 375 rum

160 Ab at 3050 fps---7mm rem mag
.............Yes it does shoot as flat as a 7 Rem mag! But out to a certain point!.....Still, any game that one would use a 375 for within 400-500 yards, a 5x or 6x on the high end is very adequate, with the added and better benefits of 1.5x or 1.75x on the low end for the closer encounters with dangerous game. Assuming the rifle will be used for dangerous game, 3.5x or a 4.5x on the low end, is not really a good idea.

Imo, for any .375, the scope should a good match for the game, terrain and for the distances hunted, rather than for its potential flat shooting capabilities.

Well, If I decide the 3.5-10x is to much, I can always change to a lower powered scope. Freedom of choice is an awesome thing to have. Also, having all of you willing to provide knowledgeable inputs to the multitude of questions asked on this forum is extremely beneficial. :grin:

RR1,

I have used several low-power variables on .375s (H&H, Steyr and Ruger), and gradually moved up to 3-9X40. I have a Trijicon mounted now, and it would do very well with your .375 RUM.

I would like to use one of them. Please let us know how it does for you (I like the .375s). I am thinking you could whack a pig or three too.

jim

HunterJim":3mrjsid6 said:
RR1,

I have used several low-power variables on .375s (H&H, Steyr and Ruger), and gradually moved up to 3-9X40. I have a Trijicon mounted now, and it would do very well with your .375 RUM.

I would like to use one of them. Please let us know how it does for you (I like the .375s). I am thinking you could whack a pig or three too.

jim

No piggies in the 375's future, as I don't want to work up a load for CA.

What did you end up putting on your 375? I am looking at getting a 375 Ruger in the future and was wondering about the 1.75x6 Leupold. Your 375 seems like a real barn burner. Bet it is going to really lay the smackdown on some poor unsuspecting elk! Scotty

I believe you chose wisely. That is a handsome scope, and I should think that the power is fine for your rifle.

Richracer1":35h1j42c said:
HunterJim":35h1j42c said:
RR1,

jim

No piggies in the 375's future, as I don't want to work up a load for CA.

I gave in and worked up a so-so (1" - 1.25" group @100M) load using the 270gn Barnes TSX. So, at least one piggie will be taken with it.

That sounds like a perfect match. I bet that is a long range monster. Be cool to see how it does out at 400 and 500 yards. Scotty

Back