44 mag recommendation?

I'm a big fan of Ruger DA revolvers... and SA revolvers... and autos.... and bolt action rifles... and semi auto rimfires... My top choice would be a Ruger Redhawk (not the super redhawk... just always looked to me like someone tossed the barrel on as an afterthought). Follow that up by a blackhawk. I do like the SW 29/629s, but I always have a soft spot for Ruger. A Redhawk is another gun on my short list. I'm ashamed to say that the Taurus 44 is my only 44mag currently. It shoots just fine and seems well made & put together, but it just ain't no Ruger!

Restarting the thread; I saw a REALLY nice Ruger 44 mag at my bass pro...I am going to take a closer look at it, handle it, etc. It was more appealing to me then the Smith and Wesson, and the price was VERY reasonable. It may be what I ask for for the coming holidays.

I have a Performance Center Model 29 but as a backup to a rifle I use my Ruger Super Blackhawk with a 5.5" tube.

Vince

Had a Smith PC and a Ruger Blackhawk hunter Bisley

I lied the Smith better and wasn't trying to run hot loads.. 250g hardcast at 1200 FPS

Definitely ideal for a hunting handgun but I went to a 1911 with 255 g hardcast as an "always with me in the woods gun"

I live in Texas, so, no bears to worry about
Pigs and deer only

I have an S&W 629 Classic Hunter - the original 1988 version, not the more recent one.
Nonfluted cylinder with full underlug on the barrel.
In addition, it was tuned by S&W as part of the original package.
It looks just like this one: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =380989531

Highly accurate at 50 yards with open sights or 100 yards with scope on it. I would highly recommend one.

I've also had a Taurus Raging Bull in 44 Mag, but sold it as in the end I just didn't need two 44 Mag revolvers, and if I were going to carry one in the field as backup I'd want one lighter.

I've also owned a couple of Rugers, though not in 44 Mag. I just couldn't get them to be as accurate as my S&W revolvers, so I sold them.

Guy Miner":8v5sd5un said:
Dr. Vette - I remember those. Very cool revolvers!
Oh yes. It's the next best thing to a Performance Center S&W but without the extra weight.
We bought Dad a Performance Center 629, which is great, but I don't mind my revolver being 1/3 smaller.

Dr. Vette":mi383n45 said:
Guy Miner":mi383n45 said:
Dr. Vette - I remember those. Very cool revolvers!
Oh yes. It's the next best thing to a Performance Center S&W but without the extra weight.
We bought Dad a Performance Center 629, which is great, but I don't mind my revolver being 1/3 smaller.

No doubt! Wonderful guns

I owned a couple of boxed Model 29 S&W's (4" and 6") back in the 1980's. Decided that I wanted to carry single action pistols instead and converted to Colt and USFA (.44-40's and .45 LC's). Colt's were stolen still have a Bisley USFA and a Rodeo model, both in .45 Colt.

Resurrecting an old thread. Single actions and .44 magnums! I just could not resist.
I have a Super Blackhawk 7.5" barreled .44 mag. I bought in '79. It looks a little more used than those fine photos others have posted. A lot of the bluing is worn off from years of holstering. The backstrap is the only place that has a little roughness due to some old corrosion. Down here in the heat and humidity the gun and holster gets soaked with sweat. And the backstrap is where I rest my hand. I have 3 sets of grips for this handgun, currently running the hogues but I don't care for the finger grooves.
I shoot only 240 grain bullets. Hornady XTP's in hollow point and Speer deep curl in softpoint. For serious work I load to the max with either 296 or 2400.
I have a stainless single six .22/.22mag with the 6.5" barrel. For practice this is as close to the Super Blackhawk as I can get.
I had a custom holster made for both a few years back. Both are the same just downsized for the single six. Thumb break and can be worn either strongside or crossdraw (3 belt slots) I had them both finished with basketweave. After all these years I am holster poor.
I also have a 1980 model Ruger Auto carbine in .44 mag. Right now it wears an Aimpoint 9000SC in camo. And no, it is not for sale.
I am used to the long barreled single action .44 but I think for a backup gun a double action .44 mag. with a shorter barrel would be better. Just pull the gun and pull the trigger. I like the M29 with the 4" barrel for this job. Wish I had one.

Back to the topic: 44 mag as a backup gun. Having been in more than a few ground fights with two legged animals, it occurs to me the last thing I would want to be doing with a bear, or other such critter sitting on my chest, perhaps chewing on some important aspect of my anatomy, is loosen my grip, the opposing thumb is pretty important to maintaining your grip in a fight. Might have to think about a double action.

Agree, for me, the double-action revolver is the right choice. For me it's not just that it's a double action, the grips fit my hands very well, and even with the .44 mag I can rip off a few reasonably accurate rapid-fire shots. Qualified with the .44 mag, using magnum ammo, several times on our police combat course. That was a lot of fun, challenging with the one-handed & left handed shooting portions...

Try cranking off a few rounds, rapid fire, double-action, weak hand only, with factory 240 gr JHP .44 mag ammo... Yee Haw!

Love those single action Rugers though...

Guy

Guy Miner":158r2ybn said:
Love those single action Rugers though...

Guy

Same here. Couldn't be happier. Have a 7.5 and 5.5. They are tanks but nice to carry.

I swapped into a 50th year commemorative Blackhawk in .44 Mag a while back, which gave me the incentive I needed to get my casting operation back up and running. Its a fine shooter and I had no trouble coming up with a hand load that puts five shots in under two inches at 25 yards (it seems to tax my eyesight more than anything else). My bullet is the Lyman 429421 and I'm propelling it with Accurate 4100.

If I could buy whatever I want, I'd have a 29 also.

Cool. Hard to beat a good cast bullet from a .44 mag.

I think ol' Elmer Keith liked both the Ruger and the Smith & Wesson .44's, why shouldn't we?

Guy

I've only ever owned one 44 Mag - a T/C Contender w/10" barrel. Not that fun to shoot

The most beautiful 44 Mag I've ever seen was a custom Ruger Super Blackhawk with 5" barrel. My shooting mentor bought one new, then shipped it off for an inside out customization - trigger/timing perfection, mirror polishing/blueing, gold plated grip frame, red inlays on the cylinder and custom rosewood grip panels. Way too pretty to shoot.

Given that the only .44 Remington Magnum that I have suitable for back up duty is a single action I'll be switching to the new to me .41 Mag as my backwoods back up gun. The model 58, fixed sight, 4" tube, that shoots flatter than the .44 and pals a wallop.
I was always worried about using a single action as my backup gun. While the 58 isn't a .44 Remington Magnum it should get the job done if I need it and do my part.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Back