45-70 loads

redrider03

Beginner
Dec 7, 2007
I just bought a new legacy arms 1886 win reproduction and I need to load up some target loads. What do you guys advise? Thanks.

I load for my Marlin 1895 Guide gun 45-70. H 322 is the only powder I use as I can push a 300 gr over 2200 fps.
My hunting load is the Nosler 300 gr BST with 59.0 grs H 322 R-P case and GM210M primers.
MV is 2050 fps and my best group at 100 yds went .400".

JD338

My 1895G

WW Brass
CCI200
H4895 - 59.0grs
Hornady 350 - FP
MV - 1912fps - same load with 350 RN - MV - 1922fps

Should work pretty well.

My first loads thu my new to me 1895 were 51 gr. of 3031, with 350 Montana BW hard cast, RP cases, federal primers. They all fired and I hit all of the gallon jugs at 30 yards. Now that I know that it shoots and functions well I will try a target at 50 yards, mine has ghost sights right now so I won't be doing any long distance shooting.

I use the 350 Hornady with 58.0 grs of 3031. It yields about 2100 fps and is accurate at 100 yards (nearly MOA groups). Near maximum load for 1895 Marlin or similar only.

Oldtrader3":3hvrbmq0 said:
I use the 350 Hornady with 58.0 grs of 3031. It yields about 2100 fps and is accurate at 100 yards (nearly MOA groups). Near maximum load for 1895 Marlin or similar only.

Holy dislocated shoulder batman! :shock:

I'm a little different than most here, on this subject.
I cast for my .45-70, and tend to run the heavier weight, 405 up to 470 grains.
And I run than a bit slower than possible, just because.
I have good results with R-7, H322, and lately Benchmark. I'm still playing around looking, for the best load for the 405 gr. I plan on trying the slower powders, such as H-4895, and Varget next to see.
Point being, you will just have to find what you and your rifle likes. Each rifle is a little different in it wants, but also the few different .45-70's I have had over the years, haven't been real fickle to load for.
dave

Dave is right, the 45-70 covers the spectrum from mild to wild.
With those big hard cast bullets, you don't need to run them fast. They punch a big hole through game and penetrate into next week.

JD338

I was looking for a load to hunt Roosevelt elk with. I think that this one will do the job to 100 yards and does not kick any worse than the Buffalo Bore loads.

It's going to be interesting to find out JD,,,,I'm trying Veral Smith's of LBT thoughts with this new Marlin .45-70. Otherwise in the past, I pretty much shot Speers 400 gr. FP, which was a hammer no matter what is fired out of, so long as impacts were not much over 1700-1800 fps. Then I found they expanded so much, penetration was limited, albeit still lethal. I just prefer complete penetration with most everything. The Speer 400 gr. was simply awesome out the 14" Contender!
With Veral's thought's, (he dislikes the term "theory" as he says his forumula is provable),,,he states for .40 cal. and over, running a a flat point that won't deform on impact at modest velocity kills quicker. A lot of his thought works on the bio-mechanics, resulting from less shock enables faster bleed out. Stating that less coagulants are dumped by the natural response. I have witnessed this sometime time back, but not enough times to make any conclusions for myself. As I understand it, the flat point in contact with body fluids, acts more like a water jet cutter, forcing a spray at 90 degrees to the meplat, cutting tissue. Rather than high pressure tearing (hydrostactic shock) of faster expanding rounds.
He says in his observations, that less flight response is noted after the impact with his formula, and death is within a few seconds, with non CNS hits. He also notes less blood shot meat.
"Ever notice on most high velocity rounds, how the body cavity is a mess of coagulated jello?"
According to him, that's because of the high release of coagulants. With slower round, the blood stays more liquid and runs out. This I had seen once as mention, not knowing what might be the reason. He also states, "most often the critter just stands there wondering WTH, then they just collapse. Seldom do they go more than a step or two, if not alerted first, and or nervous for whatever reason".
Anyhow, his forumla is as follows,,,,
meplat divided by 4 x velocity = impact index. Keep that index between 100-130 according to him. "Faster invokes flight response, slower just don't quite kill as quick"
I'm not sure myself, but there seems to be some logical sense to it, and I found it interesting enough to play with it.
Anyhow I hope to shoot enough critters with that practice, to find out!
Although, no matter how one goes about it, the .45-70 is lethal regardless.

I am using H4198 and the 300gr PT's. I am running them up around 2325 out of my Guide rifle and thus far, they have held up very well out to 300 yards. Seems like the 4198's, 3031, 322 and a few others really work well. I have shot one group with the Hornady 350gr FP's, with H4198 and they seem to be pretty accurate and I am getting over 2000 with starting loads. Good luck with your new rifle. Scotty

in my Ruger #1, 45-90 I was loading 64 grains of 3031 behind the 405 gr Remington I will probably back off a little because I can't keep the rifle on the bench when shooting it. Recoil is significant.

Hey guys,

I bought some brand new remington cases and 405 grain Oregon Trail RNFP and when I seated the bullet it left a bump about 70-80% around the case at the base of the bullet. I have noticed this before in my 45 colts that I loaded but it was never that bad. When I rub my finger along the case I can feel the transition. Is this just because the case hasnt been shot yet? Thanks

Mine do the same thing sometimes. Haven't seen it affect accuracy or cycling so I think you'll be fine. Scotty

Elkman":1mfxzxa2 said:
Charlie

He wanted a target load not your elephant load !!!!!!!!!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I think that little bump comes when you are putting a 459 diameter bullet in a 458 diameter case. Least thats what I am doing!

Back