6.5-300 WBY

remingtonman_25_06

Handloader
Nov 17, 2005
What's the general thoughts here on the 6.5-300 WBY for a LR antelope/deer rifle? Contemplating a vanguard S2 to add to the collection. Bullet of choice would be the 140g+ ELDMs. Think it would go 1000 rounds if you didnt get it hot? I have a 240 WBY, 7/08, 280 Rem, and a 7-300 Win Mag already, so it's not like I need it, but I kinda like the ballistics for a LR antelope/deer rifle. Doesnt get much better...

I was contemplating taking my 6.5/300 weatherby after black bear. Though it might be kinda light. After I saw what it did to my mulie buck this year I would shoot it at black bear, antelope might be a tad messy, whitetail and mulie. Going to pass on shooting an elk with it. Am sure it’s up to the job but I don’t like gambling with elk. Just my opinion, bullets seem to reach their targets awfully fast.

It would mainly be a LR coyote/antelope/deer rifle. The 7-300 Win Mag is my main LR big game rifle, especially for elk and bears. I'm sure it would work on bears and elk, just not what I want it for. A 140g at 3400fps is no joke...

I have a 26 Nosler and just think the Weatherby is too much of a good thing. I had it built as a dual purpose hunting rifle. I'll be hunting big Missouri white tails with it this year and am really undecided if it will be the 140gr AccuBond or a mono metal, ranges could get pretty close where i'm hunting(open oak and hickory woods, longest ranged gap is about 170 yrds). I am currently playing with the 120 E Tip and 127 LRX but may get some of the 140 GMX. Not so aerodynamic but should have impressive penetration at 3200-3300 fps.

Nice! Where I live and hunt, the range usually starts at 300 yards and goes all the way out from there, that's why I go with magnums typically. Plus the wind is always blowing 15-20mph here. I can count on 1 hand how many big game animals I've killed inside 300 yards in 20 years. 90% have been between 300-800 yards, with the occasional 800-1100 yards.

The eld-m was finicky to tune in a saami freebore. Eld-x and 140 berger elite hunters shot lights out. 1000 rds is doable especially with the extreme hodgdon powders/imr enduron and avoiding us869.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I had quite a bit of trouble getting a load - I describe loading for the cartridge as "touchy". I settled on US869, others prefer 8133.

It's the proverbial death ray. Everything in front of it dies.

The round is quite a beast that's for sure, if you can get 1000 rounds that would probably last about 10 years or so for most people at least for those on a site like this one. It would be a screamer of a deer/goat/sheep round and with something like a 127 gr LRX a moose or elk hammer.

Hey Nosler, how about that 150-156 gr Partition or regular AccuBond I've been asking for years for? The 6.5 PRC and 26 Nosler would benefit a lot as well with something like that.

Well it rocks ! I got one when they first came out from the custom shop. I would not trade it for the world.

CcTY12k.jpg

5w45K4U.jpg

And a little personal touch from Ed Weatherby

cwnl82V.jpg

pWDhm0zh.jpg

Shoots lights out without any super load development

odtl5GC.jpg

4YySVHkh.jpg

In the spring I will be working on the 123 grain Absolute hammer. Redesigned Hammer bullet.
Super short engraving surface. In most cases they are yielding 200-300 fps more than conventional hammers and other bullets.

https://hammerbullets.com/product/264-c ... te-hammer/

My brother has one in a Vanguard as well Jorey that we put a McM stock on. It's a pretty fussy cartridge in my opinion. I love the big flatliners as much or more than the next guy but man after working with his I am glad I have a 264 Win.

I wouldn't probably ever use something as soft as the 140 ELD M myself. Even at extended ranges, that cartridge has the ability to start them around 3300 or better and you'd really take the chance at tearing the bullet up before it has the chance to get inside. The 143/147 would be better yet and even some of the other slicker copper bullets would be my choice. I think you'd take alot of meat with a shot with one of the softer bullets at warp speeds with the 6.5-300, but that is just my thoughts on it. It's like a big 22-250 in my brain.

That's why I've decided to go mono metal with mine. 120 E-Tip and TTSX, 127 LRX, and the 140 GMX. At hyper velocity I just can't trust cup and core. I call my LRX load Blue Thunder! 3" High at 100 and i can hold the cross hairs on hair out to about 425 before having to use the reticle stadia on my Steiner.

Mine wears a Zeiss V4 4x16x44mm with turrets. Great scope.

Ive never been a turret turner on a hunting rifle, Mine is the GS3 3-15x50 with the S-1

Attachments

• 1394800203_IMG_378752.jpg
    1394800203_IMG_378752.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 1,159
Adjustments are very crisp and audible. I did run it up and down side to side when i first installed it. Had no issues returning to zero. Very solidly built, like a tank.

Good to hear. I wonder how they would do in turret twisting format.

That's a sweet rifle Fotis! I think I'll have to pass on the 6.5-300 WBY for now. Cant really justify one when I have a 240 WBY, 280 Rem, and a 7-300 Win Mag that all shoot 1/2 MOA, or better some days. If anything, I need a big thumper for the timber/brush. Either a Marlin 45/70 or a Rem 700 416 Rem Mag...

I got a Vanguard back country. .43 " at 100 yds. The 130 grain Sciroco at 3500 Fps. It will take elk or bear. 7 3/4 lbs. I'm impressed!

Back