6.5 jap

yellow dog

Beginner
Sep 17, 2012
why isn't this round more popular?

im thinking about building one on a rem 700 actin I have laying around.

opinions?

Good question. I,or rather Dad, has one. Bought as a low recoil alternative to the 7Mag. At one time 6.5 bullets were rare. Will wait with interest. CL

Several thoughts occur to me. It is a semi-rimmed case, which detracts from the appeal to modern shooters. Again, there is no velocity advantage over other 6.5s. The market has witnessed a steady influx of 6.5X66 Swedes, which makes other 6.5s somewhat more rare. Also, aesthetics likely figured into the equation; the Carcano was a somewhat more handsome rifle than the Model 38 and the 6.5X54 was definitely more attractive. Yet again, while brass is available, it is supplied by companies such as Norma, which makes it somewhat expensive. However, I suspect that a major factor in the 6.5 Jap never gaining more popularity was the origin of the rifle. Asian origins would have mitigated against this particular round, and the fact that the Allies, and in particular the USA, fought a brutal war against the Japanese Empire would have conspired to ensure that the round never enjoyed the popularity other foreign rounds enjoyed. Though a number of Model 38s did come back to the USA following the war, there were few conversions such as occurred with European rounds. In part, this was likely again due to the case design requiring more extensive smithing. That is my supposition; it's worth about what you paid for it.

yellow dog":1klbzf5k said:
why isn't this round more popular?

im thinking about building one on a rem 700 actin I have laying around.

opinions?

I have several nice Rem 700's - and they're chambered in very useful cartridges, for me.

If the 6.5 trips your trigger, go for it.

Guy

I notice that my fingers were flying faster than my brain. I referenced the "6.5X66 Swede." Of course, it should be noted that I meant to type "6.5X55 Swede." One thing about building a 6.5 Jap is that few of your hunting buddies will have one. Rarity in the hunting camp has never stopped me from a build, and if it is what you want to try, as Guy suggests, it should not stop you.

I think Mike covered it well. The 6.5mm is a great bore diameter.

JD338

yellow dog":azlyy042 said:
the good dr hit me wit allot to think about.

thank you

Don't feel bad. He still gets me pretty good after all these years to! :lol:

Wish I had a picture of Dads. A full post war custom (I assume). Inlaid walnut stock with black and white diamond patterns. Full chrysanthemum on the receiver bridge, rib on the barrel, Dad had the bolt forged, K-4 weaver with a post/ cross wire reticle in leupold hardware. Hinged floorplate. If you had that rifle you would find a way to shoot it. unfortunately the trigger was terrible. I never shot it enough to know if it was accurate. CL

I have an old 6.5 Greek Mannlicher/Schoenaur action laying around somewhere out in my shed. At least I think I do. I also have one round of 6.5 Jap. One day I was fussing around, bored out of my mind and tried the Jap round in the M/S action. As one should know, it's extremely difficult to convert an M/S magazine to another cartridge and make it work. However the 6.5 Jap and the 6.5x54 M/S are quite close in dimensions.
The only real drawback to the M/S action is because of the split bridge action, mounting a scope can be a problem. Not sure if the bolt face is compatible. Might have to see if I can find the two and check that out.
Probably never will try and do it as a project now due to old age and lack of coin of the realm. I was going to make it into a 6.5 M/S to replace the one I had stolen but just never got around to doing it.
Paul B.

My father and his buddies called it 'the Jap 25" , because it looked like 25 caliber to them. He said in that long barrel and with its mild report it was "da--ed near impossible" to know where the snipers were. He said there was a long rifle and a carbine ( or rather a "short rifle"). He wanted to bring back one of the carbines but had to turn it in before leaving Okinawa.

Back