6.5 SAUM, DONE!

jmad_81

Handloader
Feb 14, 2007
I have been playing around with it a little bit the last few weeks without the chronograph. I Was running 61 gr of H1000 under some 140 Amax and getting some good groups. I was pretty happy with it, until I got the Chronograph out. All the reading I had been doing suggested that 61 gr should get me into the 3100-3200 range. Imagine my surprise when the first shot reads 2967 :shock: So I started going up in half grain increments. I measured case heads before and after each shot just to be sure that I wasn't getting things to hot. I had not been seeing any ejector marks or resistance to lifting the bolt up to this point. I did three shot groups up to 63 gr. 61.5 was pretty dang bad at about 2", 62 was just over 1.1" and was running 3040 fps. 62.5 got a little better at just over .75" and was up to 3070 fps. At this point I'm thinking I should have laid off the second cup of coffee. I pull out the last three rounds of 63 gr. I got pretty excited when the first two shots were almost cutting each other and within 8 fps of each other. I got settled in and let the last shot fly. I either missed the page all together, or it is in the same hole as one of the other two shots. I'm leaning towards the latter. I'm pretty happy with the speeds. Was hoping for more, but with groups this good I don't care.

I had one bullet left with a 61 gr charge after this range session. So I went out to try to find a yote that would allow me to stretch things out a bit. Well, I found one, at 1008 yards. I put in all my wind data and made my adjustments. I recovered from the shot to see the yote standing there, then saw a bullet impact the bank level with his nose and only a few inches to the right. Must have been a bit more wind than I thought. Either way, I was pretty excited to get that close at my first attempt at that range with this rifle. Getting a bunch more of the 63 gr load loaded up tonight. I'm going to get some yote blood on this gun this week :twisted:

That all looks very promising. I can understand why you would be excited. The coyote may well want to reconsider just standing there when you are shooting.

I would think that the 6.5 SAUM would be accurate and a high performance caliber. Good results with your latest testing!

Nice man! That's awesome that you almost dropped that songdog at a grand on your first shot. Should make for some good times in the future! Congrats on the build.
Joe

Nice jake!!

It's those amaxs, gotta love em lol

man I wished you woulda got that dog, will be awesome when you connect on one that far, only a matter of time :)

Congratulations. Good work and great shooting. Those darn chronographs are sure can be eye openers.

Very nice Jake!!
Looks like 2 bullets in the hole on the right to me .

Where are you getting brass for this? A buddy of mine is building one and we can't find 7SAUM brass anywhere .

I use 300 SAUM brass. I would really like to find some 7mm SAUM brass, but I can't. It takes two steps to get down to 6.5 from .308. I use these two bushings them neck turn. I'm thinking that I will need to get one more bushing after I get everything once fired and neck turned, but the .295 was pretty dang tight before neck turning. The only hang up that I have had is getting a 6.5 expander inside the 7mm SAUM die. You don't need it after the first forming. So I just borrowed my brothers 6.5 Creedmoor dies and ran the expander down so that it would work. If I could get my hands on some 7mm SAUM brass I could get away with necking down once, but neck turning would still be required I think.

If you ever get tired of that H1000 load, or can't find it, Retumbo has been very popular with a group in Ft McMurray AB, CN that has been shooting the 6.5 SAUM since the SAUM was first introduced.

Nice shooting! Remington should have released the 6.5 SAUM instead of hanging onto the 6.5 Rem Mag, IMHO. Both are neat cartridges.

Unfortunately both seem to be in short supply around here. Luckily I have a few pounds of H1000 sitting around. If I run out I have a pound of retumbo for my stw I can give a shot. Thanks for the info.

Jake, it looks like you are there with 63.0grs :mrgreen:. That is a great looking rifle & a very interesting calibre!

Blessings,
Dan

Wished we could get that darned Mike to put a 264 of some sort in his safe. With bullets like the 140 AB and PT they really are a bunch of fun. He's resisted the 264 Win Mag for much too long!

SJB358":29wx12cd said:
Wished we could get that darned Mike to put a 264 of some sort in his safe. With bullets like the 140 AB and PT they really are a bunch of fun. He's resisted the 264 Win Mag for much too long!

Who you talkin' 'bout? I do have a few .264 calibres rattling around (6.5 Creedmoor, two .260 Remingtons). Maybe after I build the 8X68S, I'll build a 26 Nosler. You can never tell. :grin:

Thanks guys. I'm pretty excited about it. I was initially kicking myself while I was forming all the brass up. It has been good for me to have to slow down and really pay attention to what I'm doing. I think it will also keep me from trying to run it to hard, just because I don't want to make more brass every three firings.

I might skip out on work a bit early today and get some quality range therapy in before I have to go home and get into the Christmas spirit.

That 26 Nosler sounds like it would be one heck of a round. I wish they would release some of the case specs for it.

I have never shot anything with a 6.5 bullet, but from all the reading that I have done, I shouldn't have any trouble taking anything up to elk with the right bullets. If Nosler would drop a 140 ABLR I wouldn't have to worry about switching bullets from big critter bullets to range bullets.

Jake,

Nice hearing about your new rig, looks super sharp!

George Gardener of GA Precision has put together more the a few 6.5 SAUM rifles, all tack drivers. Here's a link to what Pat Sinclair does to produce his loads. A good write up, and a lot of post to read through but good info for the most part.

http://forum.snipershide.com/snipers-hi ... -saum.html

Pat's load uses a 130 JLK bullet behind 62.0 gr. of H1000, he's getting 3250 fps. Good luck today and Merry Christmas to everyone!

Back