7mm-08 120bt or 140bt

sako_75

Beginner
Nov 12, 2005
Hello all, this is my 1st post here. I just bought a Winchester model 70 clasic compact (20" barrell) in 7mm-08. I plan on this becomming my rifle of choice for witetail. My shots could be anywhere from 75 to 275 yards. This is my 1st 7mm and I am looking for some advice. Should I work up a load using the 120 or the 140 gr Balistic Tip and what powders seem to work best in the 7mm-08.

thanks

Can't speak about the 140, but I've had excellent results with 120gr BT in my Remington Model 7 in 7mm08. All one shot kills with deer never going more than 50 ft.; nearly all drop on the spot. Never a complaint about bullet perfromance. Accuracy is terrific, even with the real light barrel the gun shoots less than .5 in groups. I use 43.0 gr of IMR 4064, the 120 gr BT, and the CCI Benchrest primer. In working up this load I noted that the faster I shot this load the tighter the groups got. The real benefit of this bullet in my gun is that recoil is virtually gone. As even in my light rifle I have shot a deer at 130 yds and watched it tip over through the scope, using heavier bullets recoil was always uncomfortable, but this load is fast, deadly, and comfortable to shoot. In my experience its a winner!

2 years ago my 2 sons and I went out to Wyoming for antelope. The youngest used his Rem LSS in 7m-08 with 120 BT's. He took his buck at 250 yds . . . bang/flop. The hole going in was about the size of a nickel and coming out about the size of a silver dollar. In my mind perfect. My other son used 150 out of an 06 and I used a 150 out of my 7mm. Both shots between 250 and 300 yds. Holes were so big coming out of both bucks that the smallest was as big as your fist and the other the size of a large grapefruit. Granted our 2 bucks took it thru the front shoulders so that probably had something to do with it.

But, the 120 did a great job on that antelope and a decent 8 pt whitetail during the same year. Both times the holes were the same. I

I also have a 7m-08 and use 140 Accubonds. The accuracy is very good. Hopefully tomorrow, opening day of deer season, I will see how they perform.

Long

i use 41.5gr of H4895 with 120gr noslers at 2800fps in my 15" encore. it shoots excellent! only killed one deer with the bullet, but i think it's bout perfect at those velocities.
Varget would be another good powder to try. it gets good reviews, especially with 140's.

I killed 2 antelope with the 120 BT this year using 45 gr Varget. Load clocked at 3050 fps. I did kill them both at over 300 yards. They will do ok but pick your shots! I would feel better with 140's though.

I'm shooting an older Tikka Whitetail in 7mm-08. Even though the Ballistic Tips work great on whitetails in the 7mm-08, I decided to work up a load for the 140gr AccuBond. I used 47.0 gr of H4350 and a Fed 210M primer in a Lapua case. I had no problem keeping groups inside of 1.25" @ 200 yds.

Not bad for a factory rifle and hunting bullets. :grin:

Now all I need is a major league, monster buck to test the load on. :lol:

Back