7mm-08 Partition or accubond

stew

Beginner
Feb 6, 2016
Curious as to peoples thoughts on which may be better in the 7mm-08 the Partition or AccuBond and what grain was thinking of trying the 160 Partition for they shoot well in the 280 just don't have any left, but will be getting more. The 7mm-08 does shoot speer 145 gr BTSP well just thought would try something else.
Thanks

I have had very good luck in two different rifles with the 140 AccuBond. Never tried any Partitions but if I were tempted, I think I'd load up some 150's. I always thought the 150 would be a nice compromise and give just a touch more weight if it were used on elk and such.

this is just my opinion on this , you do what you like . I've played with 168 gr bullets in my 7-08 . I just don't think it has the case capacity to shoot these heavier bullets to any advantage . I really think the 7mm-08 , especially in a short action rifle , is best with bullets in the 120 - 140 grain weights . look at the bullets in the bullet test section to see how they work at 7-08 velocities , maybe this will help make up your mind . so far the hornady sure are looking good . I'll be testing a few more of these soon , at slower velocities .
I also feel you can never go wrong with a Partition for hunting, at normal hunting distances .

I shot a 7-08 for quite some time. For everything from groundhogs to whitetails, its hard to beat the very accurate, no-frills 140gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. At 7-08 velocities the AccuBond isn't really necessary and the Ballistic Tip probably kills faster.

Just my 2 cents

Depending on what you are hunting, I would consider the 140 gr BT for deer and antelope and the 140 gr PT for everything from mice to moose.

JD338

Ya sorry it will be fore everything here in B.C. including moose and elk.

JD338":1k6uaunf said:
Depending on what you are hunting, I would consider the 140 gr BT for deer and antelope and the 140 gr PT for everything from mice to moose.

JD338

Jim is correct in his recommendation. I wouldn't hesitate to use the 140 grain Partition for all that I hunt, from wolf to grizzly, or from blacktail to moose.

JD338":3uuw4b7v said:

JD338
I had a part box of 140 partitions so tried a few loads this morning tried them with H4350 at 45,46,and 47 grains nothing that great but will try playing with some seating depths and see.

Charlie-NY":3nc6burc said:
I shot a 7-08 for quite some time. For everything from groundhogs to whitetails, its hard to be the very accurate, no-frills 140gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. At 7-08 velocities the AccuBond isn't really necessary and the Ballistic Tip probably kills faster.

Just my 2 cents

I agree. The ballistic tip is plenty of bullet for anything you would want to use the 7/08 for. They are much tougher bullets than a lot of gun rag writers give them credit for.

Now that you added moose ............ I'd opt for a 140gr Barnes TSX to ensure maximum penetration from a marginal moose cartridge. At least that's my opinion. I'm sure someone has shot moose with even less powerful cartridges but I lean in the opposite direction.

With elk and moose on the menu, I would go with the 150 gr PT.
7mm150grPT3115fps004.jpg

JD338

Depends a bit on what you want to do. I hunt big, tough deer in the Northwoods. Little resemblance to deer in most of the rest of the country. A 200 lb dressed buck is common with heavy hair and fat. In my .280 I tried several different bullets including 154 Hornady SST, 154 Hor SP, 160 part, 145 Speer GS.

The 154 SST was too soft, the 154 SP worked well but the tips didn't fare well in my Mauser 98 mag well or feed ramp, the 160 Part was good but probably overkill, Settled on the 145 Speer GS slightly downloaded (approximates your 7-08). Great performance and accuracy. Also got good accuracy with the 145 SP. Never tried it on deer but I use it for practice, hits the same zero to 200 yards as the GS.

If you want to try a Nosler bullet, I'd try a BT in 140 or 150 gr. The AB is a good bullet, but probably optimized for a bit more velocity. The BT should do well for you on deer sized game in your caliber and will likely yield good accuracy. I had a hard time getting ABs or PTs to group very well in my .280. Good enough for hunting, but the BTs, Speers and SSTs are a bit tighter for me.

Oh, just saw the Elk and Moose part. 160 Partition or 156 Norma Oryx. The above apply more to deer sized or smaller, although I wouldn't hesitate to take an elk or bear with the 145 GS.

I shoot the 140PAR in my 7mm-08. The case is too small for me to shoot anything bigger. I have also used the 120BT for deer/pronghorn. The 120BT also worked well on a coyote for me

Polaris":31epgqjn said:
Depends a bit on what you want to do. I hunt big, tough deer in the Northwoods. Little resemblance to deer in most of the rest of the country. A 200 lb dressed buck is common with heavy hair and fat. In my .280 I tried several different bullets including 154 Hornady SST, 154 Hor SP, 160 part, 145 Speer GS.

The 154 SST was too soft, the 154 SP worked well but the tips didn't fare well in my Mauser 98 mag well or feed ramp, the 160 Part was good but probably overkill, Settled on the 145 Speer GS slightly downloaded (approximates your 7-08). Great performance and accuracy. Also got good accuracy with the 145 SP. Never tried it on deer but I use it for practice, hits the same zero to 200 yards as the GS.

If you want to try a Nosler bullet, I'd try a BT in 140 or 150 gr. The AB is a good bullet, but probably optimized for a bit more velocity. The BT should do well for you on deer sized game in your caliber and will likely yield good accuracy. I had a hard time getting ABs or PTs to group very well in my .280. Good enough for hunting, but the BTs, Speers and SSTs are a bit tighter for me.

Oh, just saw the Elk and Moose part. 160 Partition or 156 Norma Oryx. The above apply more to deer sized or smaller, although I wouldn't hesitate to take an elk or bear with the 145 GS.
Ya the Speer 145 BTSP shoots well in my gun, I tried the 145 spritzer but not as well I will maybe have to see if I can find some 145 grand slams and try them.

140 AB or Partition or a 150 Ballistic Tip or Partition.

Same Bullets I run in my sons 7x57 and I'd get by just fine on elk or moose. Any of those are plenty tough enough.

The 140 BT always seemed sorta soft to me, but I know you all have had great luck with them.

Both the 140 AB (Nosler factory load@ 1 ") and the 140 SGK (hand loads @ 1/2") work very well in my wife's 7mm-08.

Having used various 140, 150, 160 and 165 gr bullets from AB's, PT's, BT's and SGK's in the 280 Rem, 7Rem Mag and STW over the years on white tails, mulies, elk, bear, caribou, mountain goat and mountain sheep; I can tell you that either the AB or the PT will work fine for you on any large game (barring bison due to energy regulatory requirements here in BC) should the bullet be properly placed in the vitals. If it shoots to your satisfaction in your rifle, use it with confidence! (The extra velocity adds to extended effective range, but at the end of the day, a clean harvest is still a clean harvest)

140 grain, either AccuBond or Partition, whichever your rifle likes better.

I load for my family. My dad's 7mm-08 likes Accubonds, mine likes Partitions.

They both kill about the same.

140 NAB at 225 or so, one shot. 2850 fps MV.

image_zpsxnaeqkin.jpeg

140 NP at 346, one shot. 2870 fps MV.

image_zpsywwzuuj0.jpeg

I have more pics but you get the idea.

P

pharmseller said:
140 grain, either AccuBond or Partition, whichever your rifle likes better.

I load for my family. My dad's 7mm-08 likes Accubonds, mine likes Partitions.

They both kill about the same.

140 NAB at 225 or so, one shot. 2850 fps MV.

image_zpsxnaeqkin.jpeg

140 NP at 346, one shot. 2870 fps MV.

image_zpsywwzuuj0.jpeg

Very nice!!

Back