7mm 08 Ruger American

jkainer

Beginner
Sep 4, 2024
Hey fellas plan on loading some 7mm 08 BT and Accubonds in my Ruger American y’all have luck with which bullets is better? Mainly used for Texas white tails

Both will work well for deer. When I had my 7mm-08 I used 120g BT'S over IMR4350, accurate and deadly.

I have a Ruger American in 243 Win for a truck gun around the property, it's amazing how accurate they are.

I used the 140 gr. BT in my 7mm-08 and it killed deer just fine. That is what I would use again if I had another 7mm-08.

Not in a 7-08 but I rin the 140 gr. BT anf 150 gr, PT in a 7x57 Mauser chambered Winchester M70 Featherweight. I got 2800 FPS with the 140 and 2880, reduced to 2800 because of potential pressure signs. Accuracy was great ring .75" or less, with either bullet. Powder for the 140 gr was W760 and RL17 for the 150 gr. Data was for yhe 7-08 level loadings.That's the good news.
The not so good is the 140 gr. bullets are from one of the first lots of that bullet and the jackets were too thin. I think that's why I lost a deer a few years ago trashing my knee out while looking for the der and not where I was placing my foot. I haven't had the chance of using the 150 gr. PT yet on game but I'd planned on using it for a cow elk hunt. A car wreck cost me that hunt. If the current BTs shoot as well as those early ones then I'd say use them. Personally I'd also try the 140 gr. ABs. Not the 7-08 again but I did use the 30 caliber 165 gr. AB on a cow elk and one shot did the trick. It was also very accurate in my rifle.
Just my thoughts on this bit for just deer I'd look at the current Ballistic tip for deer and the AccuBond for deer and up to at least cow elk I might even try it on a bull elk should the opportunity arise. Personally, I prefer hunting cow elk as the meat is usually a bit better.
Paul B.

Back