7mm-08

JD338

Range Officer
Staff member
Nov 4, 2004
I'm thinking of setting up my girl friend with a Winchester M70 Featherweight in 7mm-08 although we are also going to take a look at a M70 Super Grade 7mm-08 as well.
The rifle would be used for target shooting as well as hunting deer, antelope, and hopefully some bigger animals like elk, moose and African Plains Game. The 120 gr BT would be ideal for target shooting and deer/antelope hunting. A 150 gr ABLR might be the go to bullet for everything. If deep penetration is needed, the 150 gr PT should get the job done with decent velocity.
For glass, a Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x40mm CDS should cover everything out to 600 yds for shooting steel.
What do you fellas think?

JD338

Great plan for sure. My favorite bullet is the 120 BT for the -08. Dont overlook the 140 gr. AccuBond either. It cleanly kills elk out to 400 yards

I had a 7mm-08 in a Browning X-Bolt. I liked the caliber a lot and shot some deer with it. I used the 140 gr. BT with H4350 powder. I shot a five shot group at 400 yards that measured about 3-3/4" I think I remember that the 140 gr. carried the energy to 400 yards better than the 120 gr. I think both you and your GF will be happy with it. I also like the Leupold VX-3, 3.5-10X, 40mm and have one on my .270 Win.

Go for it!

Should work like a charm. A buddy of mine set his wife up with a rem m7 in 7mm08. It has proven very evective with 120gr TSX on caribou and moose. So much so that he now has a 7mm 08 of his own!

That 120 TSX will do the job for anything she is likely to want to hunt.

Should be perfect. Sold a 7mm-08 years ago like an idiot. Look for posts by "Bob in TX" on this board and the "Texas Predator Posse" web site. He has shot truck loads of game w/ the 7mm-08. I believe his go to bullet was a 120 BT. As I recall they are the same jacket as the 140. One tough customer. CL

I've been wanting a stainless model 70 feather weight in 7mm-08 for a while. Unfortunately, that model is discontinued. Nice rifle in a no nonsense just kills stuff chambering.

My model 7 7mm-08 loves 150 btips and imr4350. I loaded them as my all around load for my brother to hunt with but he hasn't hunted much since I got the load worked up. I might have to take it out and shoot a deer with it next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the cartridge; and you know I love the rifle(s) proposed. That should be a sweet set-up, Jim. Hope to see a picture shortly.

I set my wife up with a Steyr Mountain Classic in 7mm-08. I mounted a Leupold VX-3 2.8-8x36 w/ B&C reticle on it. We later added a LimbSaver recoil pad.

It shoots Nosler's Custom ammunition with the 140 gr AB into 1" groups, and handloaded 140gr SGK's into 1/2" groups. She shoots it very well and is still waiting to take her first big game animal with it.

The Super Grade is a beautiful rifle, and if your wife is anything like mine, she will really appreciate the beautiful walnut that they are stocked with. And you can't go wrong with your choice of scope.

If you're hoping to use the 150gr LRAB, at least your magazine box should be long enough to accommodate the longer bullet.

I hope that she enjoys the new rifle and has years of successful hunts with it!

Awesome idea. Do you think the 150 ABLR will stabilize in a 9.5 twist barrel? I couldn't get them to in my 10 twist Supergrade 270 Win but that is a whole different animal. I love the 7mm-08 and love Model 70's so it is a win win!

Either way, Featherweight or Super Grade, would be great. Some of the Super Grades I've handled have been surprisingly heavy. Just a thought. I'd want her to pick the favorite between those two fine rifles.

The cartridge is a sweetheart. Typically very accurate and easy to shoot, as well as lethal on game.

Might not remember that 2012 Wyoming hunt I went on with Stephen and Storm, she used her 7mm-08 and the 120 Ballistic Tip very effectively. One-shot kills on mule deer and pronghorn. Later she went down to Florida and made about a half-dozen one-shot kills on wild hogs!

Yes, it works just fine and is very easy to use.

Guy

Seems like either rifle would be excellent. The Featherweights are just slick in the 08 based cartridges. Plus they give you about 3.1" of magazine latitude to work with.

Any of the bullets mentioned would be great in the 7-08 Jim. I've shot 140's and 150's in my sons 7x57 and they have all been excellent. Haven't tried the 150 ABLR, but it would probably be excellent. I dig your choice in scopes as well. Seems like a rock solid combo.

Big fan of the 7mm-08! I wouldn't hesitate to hit the mountains with that setup! I wouldn't rule out trying the 140 gr PT through it.

Sounds like an excellent plan to me as well. I bought my son a Tikka T3 years ago. He killed lots of deer and aoudad with 140's. I liked the caliber so much I recently bought one myself, the Nosler Patriot version. To say it shoots lights out is an understatement, with 120 BT's, 140 AB's, 140 PT's, and 150 BT's. Great stuff.

Thanks fellas. I have no doubts about the merits or capabilities of the 7mm-08.
It will get the job done with light recoil. In fact, I shot a 7mm-08 when I was first introduced to Metallic Silhouette shooting. The 160 gr "Ram Loads" carried a lot of energy to the 55 lb steel rams at 500 meters (547 yds).

Just not sure if we should go M70 Featherweight or Super Grade. Does Winchester still offer the M70 Featherweight n stainless steel with a walnut stock?

JD338

I did almost the same thing, except I found a featherweight in 6.5x55. I wouldn't hesitate to buy in either caliber.

rodell":11h62c6i said:
I did almost the same thing, except I found a featherweight in 6.5x55. I wouldn't hesitate to buy in either caliber.
I actually considered a 260 Rem but decided on the 7mm-08 and the ability to go with a 160 gr PT if serious penetration is needed.

JD338

JD, I am shocked that no one has even blinked an eye at your question. Flabbergasted!

By that I don't mean the rifles at all. Both fine choices, you could flip a coin or whatever.

I mean the "set up my girlfriend with a rifle" part. Is she worth it? [emoji1]

Back