7mm rem mag 150gr swift scirocco II's

LD375

Handloader
May 18, 2009
Although I love nosler bullets, I've been hearing good things about the 150gr scirocco II bullets, and decided to check it out today myself. On paper, they shoot very well @100yds, well be shooting them @200yds+ very soon. So I did a water filled jug test today, and was very impressed on how well this bullet penetrated, and stayed together.
Rifle...Sako 85 7mm rem mag
150gr swift scirocco II
Distance 10yds
MV 3110 fps
penetration..6th jug
weight retention 137grs (91.4%)
expanded diameter .676"

Pics to follow, thanks...Lou

WOW! That is just awesome Lou! Just awesome.

On your note, I ordered a box of 150's for my 7mm, so seeing your results makes it seem like money well spent! Awesome performance right there! Way to go!

Man, now I'm excited to give em a whirl.

SJB358":2yctknil said:
WOW! That is just awesome Lou! Just awesome.

On your note, I ordered a box of 150's for my 7mm, so seeing your results makes it seem like money well spent! Awesome performance right there! Way to go!

Man, now I'm excited to give em a whirl.

I'm sure they well perform just awesome for ya pal :grin: I knew they were good, but not this good :wink: ..Lou

That looks exactly the same as the 6.5mm 130 gr. Man that looks great :) now some field testing would be nice :)

I've always had success with Sciroccos and with A-Frames; they have saved the day for me more than once.

I just got a bunch of Swift Scirocco 11 's in 150 + 165 gr 30 cal and 210 gr 338 cal and 140 gr 7mm - i hope to load and test them out this year ! :grin: RJ

That is outstanding, I have used the 180 Scirroco in my 300 Weatherby when they first came out and they just seemed to over expand. I guess they fixed that with the Scirroco 11.

remmy1187":3acen80g said:
That is outstanding, I have used the 180 Scirroco in my 300 Weatherby when they first came out and they just seemed to over expand. I guess they fixed that with the Scirroco 11.

The only difference between the Scirocco II and the original is the SII isn't heat-treated as long, so ends up harder and doesn't expand as widely, allowing the bullet to penetrate deeper.
Lou

How well do they penatrate and expand at longer distance, 100yrds or so, just curious since must shots at game animals are farther than 10yrds?

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

270wsm":2yopb5kb said:
remmy1187":2yopb5kb said:

The only difference between the Scirocco II and the original is the SII isn't heat-treated as long, so ends up harder and doesn't expand as widely, allowing the bullet to penetrate deeper.
Lou

A HA ! :grin: so thats how they did it - Rocket Sicence it is ! :shock: LOL RJ

my uncle just put the 150 scirocco to a torture test
last saturday night on a 400# black bear.
we've both been using this bullet for a few years, me in my
7wsm, him in is 7rum. his load average 3400 fps on the chrono.
the shot was 15 yards broadside. the exit wound was 2"
and from what he and my brother said the 80 yard blood trail was extreme :shock:
once they returned home they put the beast on a scale and it ended up weighing 350lbs field dressed.
we only had the chance to test them on deers on average 100-300 yard shot so far.
and knew they were tough. but i certainly didn't expect a pass thru on this shot.

while i'm writing this, i just received a text message from my uncle.
he was filming one of my friend's hunt tonight. and my friend just shot a nice bear too.
he's using 150 sciroccos in his 300RUM. ( i would use the 180 but it's been his choice for the last
10 years or so, and they never failed him)

i will give more details when i get them later, as to the weight of the bear
and how the bullet worked. ( since the bear is in the back of the truck
it probably worked fine)

my load for the 7 wsm is 67 gr imr7828 @ 3100fps,coal 2.865", cci250 primers,win cases.
my uncle's 7rum is 93.5 gr. retumbo @ 3400 fps, coal 3.615", cci 250 primers, rem cases.
both average 3/4" in our guns.
my friend use factory rem load in is 300 rum.
they just told me the bear weigh 260 lbs field dressed. the shot was 50 yards and a pass thru.
bear dropped on the spot.

The Scirocco is the toughest of the tipped bonded bullets IMO, excellent bullets for fast rounds. I wouldn't choose a 150 gr bullet for a 300 RUM but it obviously worked :)

Big Norm":3toeywuf said:
How well do they penatrate and expand at longer distance, 100yrds or so, just curious since must shots at game animals are farther than 10yrds?
I used the 130gn SII in my 270WSM a few years back and killed a Whitetail at 492yds measured. Bullet dia entry and about a golf ball size exit, centered in lungs broadside. That deer took a 2nd shot to kill. I was surprised about that part.

I have some of them loaded up in my 7mm Rem Mag.. Just need some range time to get them out. I am expecting they'll shoot.. They are some real nice looking bullets, that is for certain.

That is a torture test... Seem's tough to hold one of them in an animal...

Back