A little new to hunting

UsSoldier

Beginner
Jan 14, 2006
Hi my name is chris. IM a soldier in the us army(hence the name) ive hunted a few times in my life but I have been aroudn rifles my whole life. Im currently looking at the remington 700 (the camoed elk edition) in a 7mm. I am aiming to hunt a wilde verity of big game ( im getting sent to alaska hopefully with the 173rd airborne) and wanted opinions on a good rifle. Thanks

Hi Chris,

Let me first say a big and heartfelt THANK YOU for your service to our country. :!:

As to caliber, again I would say that whatever caliber you are comfortable shooting would be the cjoice to go with. Since you have been around guns most of your life, I'm assuming you have shot quite a bit. You probably know how much recoil you can handle, so if that is not an issue, the 7mm Rem mag is as good a choice for all around caliber as there is. Other possibilities are: 270, 30-06, or 280 in a long action. The 308, 7mm-08 or one of the new short magnums would fit the bill.

As to rifle selection, I would say that whatever feels right and fits you comfortably would certainly be a good choice. I would certainly look at a Savage. There are lots of good guns out there, but for the price, I don't think you can beat it.

Again, thank you for your service ......God bless you and keep you safe.

Blaine

UsSoldier, the 7mmRemMag is a excellent all around cartridge up to the 175gr bullet. Mark, you may have a chance in Alaska to hunt heavy, dangerous game, for which I would want to use a heavier, bonded bullet. Sure, the 7mmRemMag with 175gr bonded bullets will get the job done, but for me, I would want a bullet that will make a larger wound channel that would provide a better chance of stopping dangerous game such as Grizzly. Even deer hunting in Grizzly country calls for a rifle/cartridge combo that could prevent you from being an animal's lunch. Therefore, if you intend to only have one rifle with which to hunt in Alaska, I would recommend the 300WinMag, which will do all that the 7RemMag will do and more, in terms of handling heavier bullets and packing more of a stopping punch for dangerous game. Most any of the manufacturers put out fine rifles, capable of producing better groups than you need for hunting. My personal choice would be a Sako, but if keeping cost down is important, look at Winchester, Remington and Savage, but stay away from the low end "value" packages like the Rem Mod 710. I like the Winchester Ultimate Shadow with the claw extraction, which has proven over the years to be a great action. Do not skimp on the scope, mounts and rings. You can easily spend as much on your optics, or more, then you spend on the rifle, but that investment will pay big dividends in the field and later, if you sell the rifle you can move the scope to another.

Can't disagree with any of the advice given. I have a little more faith in the 7mmRemMag, though, than roysclockgun. I've hunted with a Ruger M77 7MMRM for 25 years and have recently purchased a Browning A-Bolt in 7mmSTW which can push a 160gr bullet about 200fps faster than the RemMag. While shooting at the range here in AZ one day, the guy next to me told me about a friend of his who is a hunting guide in Alaska who also shoots the 7mmSTW for everything from Dahl sheep to brown bear. Any bolt-action rifle with optics is designed as an "offensive" weapon and would be less than optimal for bear defense--whatever the caliber. My advice--7mmRM in Ruger or Browning with good optics (roysclockgun couldn't be more correct about that) AND a double action revolver in .44 or .50 mag.

Happy hunting and thank you for your service!

jd

I have never been to Alaska, but for an overall caliber I would probably go with either the 06 or the 300win. The 7mm is at its best with 150 grain bullets and really starts to drop off when you go over that. Dont get me wrong, I have had the 7mm and liked it a lot as a caliber, but for Alaska I think you are better off in the .30 cal varieties.

Long

longwinters,

I am curious about what you mean by the 7MM Rem Mag starts to "drop off" with bullets heavier than 150 grains. I have read God knows how many articles that indicated the 160 grain bullet to be the single best weight for the 7MM Rem Mag. And we can't forget that a 160 grain bullet compares to the 180 grain .308 bullet, with the sectional density edge going to the former. And a 175 grain .284 bullet at 3000 FPS has very few equals! In fact, you'd have to jump up to a .338 Win Mag to find a comparable loading!

Take care,

Tom

I dont think you can safely get 3000fps with a 175 bullet out of a 7mm. And US is talking about a one gun do it all in Alaska, not the continental United States. To me that means potential big bear hunting and protection. Like I said, I have never lived in Alaska and dont know what those people who do feel comfortable with, but I would feel better with a 30 cal. I would also disagree with you that the 160 gn bullet is the epitome for the 7mm.

All that being said, all I shoot is .284 calibers and I see no reason to change for anything from moose on down. And when I am thinking about a bullet "dropping off" I guess I am thinking long distances, which does not necessarily relate to Alaskan hunting although it could. But when you throw the big bears into the equation, give me a 30 cal

Long

From what I read and hear hunters talking about the 338 is getting very popular. I think recoil could be more than the regular shooter/hunter is used to, but obviously people get used to it. And they are not using it for bench rest while hunting. I would want to shoot one 1st before laying out the dough for it. 300 win would probably be my choice . . . although others would certainly have other thoughts.

Long

I think you will find a .338 Win Mag very useful in Alaska. (or anywhere else) It is sort of Alaska's version of the 30-06 in terms of being a jack of all trades. If you handload the caliber is even more versitile. If I could only have one rifle it would definitely be a .338 of some make and a Remington is as good as any.

USSoldier I started to read replies from around the country and decided to give you my opinion without bias. While guiding most us 375s or bigger but thats a different circumstance altogether. Any 300 mag with 165s for mtns and caribou with 200np for moose,bears,bison etc. Be careful over there.

UsSoldier asked: "My buddy is saying I "have" to have a 30-06. Can this round really do it all?"

The short answer, with reservations is, yes! When the ".30cal Government", or 30-06 was first adopted in 1906 by the US military, it was designed to be a good as or better then the 8x57 Mauser Spitzer cartridge. Many sportsmen of the day believed that the 30-06 was too powerful to be used on game and few quickly accepted the recoil. Things change and many of us buy into "bigger has to be better!" On one hunting trip for elk, I was told by another "expert" hunter that I was "undergunned" because I was carrying a rifle chambered for 30-06. Of course, that is hogwash. The 30-06 chambered rifle, loaded with the correct ammo will cleanly take any game animal on the American continents and for that matter will cleanly kill any animal in the world, given proper bullet placement. The only reservations entail range. The 30-06 is limited to ranges less then some 30 cal magnum cartridges. That is it! If you study the 30-06 and learn to use correct loads and not reach out for animals beyond the effective "clean kill" range of your rifle, you can own one rifle in 30-06 and hunt everything that you want to go after for the rest of your life. There are, as you no doubt know, many good reasons for a rifleman to only use one rifle. Being intimately familiar with one rifle, the rifleman has the advantage of being able to call shots before making same. He learns what his rifle is capable of doing and how much he can stretch that capability and be successful. Jack O'Connor wrote: "Beware the man who only owns one rifle. He can probably use it!" Most of us do not stick to one rifle only because we have a disease that addicts us into needing more and more rifles, chambered for various cartridges. Succumbing to those addictions does not make us better hunters, but merely indicates the depths of our disorder. A man who has one quality rifle chambered in 30-06, the stock of which fits him, can be successful in going after any game. His only lacking will be found in his failure to hone his fieldcraft and marksmanship. When a scope is desired or called for the rifleman should be willing to spend as much money, or more, on the scope, rings and mounts, as he did on the rifle. My personal choice for all around hunting with a 30-06 rifle would be a quality scope in 3-9x40mm. I like the Burris Signature line, but there are others as good or better out there.
I agree with your buddy, if you are just beginning to build a hunting battery of rifles, the 30-06 is the best starting place.

longwinters,

longwinters":2mghve3x said:
I dont think you can safely get 3000fps with a 175 bullet out of a 7mm. And US is talking about a one gun do it all in Alaska, not the continental United States. To me that means potential big bear hunting and protection. Like I said, I have never lived in Alaska and dont know what those people who do feel comfortable with, but I would feel better with a 30 cal. I would also disagree with you that the 160 gn bullet is the epitome for the 7mm.

All that being said, all I shoot is .284 calibers and I see no reason to change for anything from moose on down. And when I am thinking about a bullet "dropping off" I guess I am thinking long distances, which does not necessarily relate to Alaskan hunting although it could. But when you throw the big bears into the equation, give me a 30 cal

Long

Why do you think the 7MM Rem Mag cannot safely attain 3000 FPS?

I do agree with numerous others who have opined the 160 grain bullet to be the single best choice for the 7MM Rem Mag, especially since the 180 grain .308 projectile compares favorably to it with the sectional density edge going to the 160 grain 7MM bullet.

The 7MM Rem Mag, with with 175 grain bullets at 3000 FPS will shoot flatter than anything out of a .300 Win Mag...no drop-off here! Moreover, there is no difference between a 7MM Rem Mag & a .300 Win Mag for big bears. In fact, I would prefer the penetration edge of the 7MM Rem Mag!

I am curious of your choice for best 7MM bullet...can you let us know?

To me, if I lived in Alaska and needed bear protection all the time, I would opt for a stainless Guide Gun in .45/70 & use Garretts! I don't think one could do better than that! If I were going to hunt coastal griz once, I'd take my 7MM Rem Mag & never look back. :grin:

Take care,

Tom

Tom,

I will have to retract my statement about 3000fps. I see that nosler does have a load at 2970 out of a 24" tube. Although I have never been able to duplicate their published velocities thru my chrony in other calibers. Which is why I tend to look at other reloading guides for velocities like Hodgdon (2800fps). But Speer is up close to what you are talking about also. So I will have to hang my head in shame :oops: I did have a Sako 7mm and liked the caliber but after using it for deer, antelope etc... decided I did not need to go that big. . . thus the 280 sako.

Concerning the 150 or 160, I have also read and talked to quite a few people and 150 was always touted as the go to bullet. Maybe it is more of a regional thing, can't say.

Long

Brand is another question that comes up, I was considering, sako, Tikka, Remington, or Weatherby. Im looking at a 2-2.5k budget. (rifle,scope,glassed or floated if needed). Thanks

Back