Accubond or Partition

Backcast88":2t0mw8ws said:
I’ve seen several postings here and on other forums of guys saying AccuBond are too tough for deer and don’t expand much or don’t cause enough trauma to put a deer down quickly. Any validity to this or are Accubonds going to behave somewhat like a ballistic tip and cause lots of trauma but hold together and penetrate through the animal. I live in the southeast so deer aren’t giants but I’m shooting more hogs each year and need a good load to do both.

We raise a hog when we want Pork, so I can’t attest to how well I’m sure they will do on a Hog, but I have taken dump truck loads of Georgia Deer with a 270 Win pushing 140 Grain Accubonds.

I’ve not had to track a 1.

They all expired in the tracks they were shot in.

Well now that's a lot of deer! Trying to imagine how many that is??? ONE load in a 12/14 yard body would possibly hold 200/300 of Georgia sized deer so that is quite an accomplishment! I also am very fond of that
140gr AB bullet as well !That is one sweet projectile for the 270W!!
Your not the first to say he has shot " truckloads" of deer: however you are the first; to have shot hundreds and NEVER had to track one! And not sure if I ever knew a man;that can drop every deer he ever shot at, ??? right in its
tracks???? Never met that man yet.......
As Rodney Carrington would say " I would like to shake your daddy's hand!"
Good shooting!

If I were you I'd load up the different bullets mentioned in this thread. Put together some bullet testing medium like soaked newspaper combined with 1/2" plywood pieces or whatever others would recommend here. Conduct the testing at the average distance you shoot deer.

The idea is to see the expansion and results of hitting bone. It is very revealing in my opinion.
I jumped from a 165 to 180 BT in my 30-06 due what you have experienced. Nothing wrong with the 165 BT. It's just the 180 grain selection is what I want in a bullet of my choice. I shot a doe last year with the 180 BT load last year, 90 yard shot, dropped her in her tracks. Behind front shoulder exited hitting off side shoulder blade, encountered some ribs and lungs. 50 cent sized holes. Perfect for me.

Don

35 Whelen":2db3xyqd said:
Well now that's a lot of deer! Trying to imagine how many that is??? ONE load in a 12/14 yard body would possibly hold 200/300 of Georgia sized deer so that is quite an accomplishment! I also am very fond of that
140gr AB bullet as well !That is one sweet projectile for the 270W!!
Your not the first to say he has shot " truckloads" of deer: however you are the first; to have shot hundreds and NEVER had to track one! And not sure if I ever knew a man that can drop deer he ever shot at, right in its
tracks????
As Rodney Carrington would say " I would like to shake your daddy's hand!"
Good shooting!

The dump truck is little.
80fbabd023022bb6397c4d4f4d4ae64a.jpg

As for not Tracking, I guess I’ve just been lucky. [emoji41]

I’ll call I️t AccuBond Luck.

Lol, well that's more like it! LoL pretty good. For a sec I was expecting some thing like this!!IMG_1545.JPG

E

LOL! Pretty good discussion here guys. :grin:

We've got dump trucks. We've got bullets. We've got good-natured hunters sharing their thoughts without all the growling often found elsewhere on line.

AccuBond or Partition? Tough choice. Honestly, for deer sized critters I'll likely just stick with my Ballistic Tips and trash everything inside the chest cavity. Usually exit as well. I thought I might have pushed the 165 gr Ballistic Tips a little hard last year, using them on cow elk & black bear as well as deer, but they did just fine on those bigger animals too.

I don't have a .270, but I've got it surrounded with a 25-06 and a 30-06. Usually use the 115's from the .25 & 165's from the .30 cal. I haven't had to track deer very far at all. I think one whitetail buck my son shot at ridiculously short range with his 30-06 and a 165 Partition went about 30 yards. Of course it died IN a freezing cold stream, with snow on the banks. Sigh... Easy tracking (lots of blood on the snow, even I could follow it) and a real easy drag back to the Jeep, but ya, Ol' Dad got his legs wet getting that one out. The rest of our deer have either dropped at the shot, or staggered a few paces and fallen.

Have to admit, I like the dump truck photos!

Guy

I've not shot a deer with one, but I know that Accubonds work like magic on caribou (a bit larger than deer, but similar). They always expanded and with one exception, always exited.

Of course, if you're making the choices between Accubonds or Partitions....it's a "no-lose" proposition. Either would work just fine. I'd lean to the AB if I hunted more open country and had farther shot opportunity.

Perhaps let the rifle sort it out and pick the one that shoots the best?

Found about 20 130 AB’s in my bullet box from my 270 WSM days and loaded them up. I’ll shoot them over the next week or so and see how they do and report back.

Loaded them 57-59 grains of 4831sc, 3.30”, CCI 200 primers in once fired Hornady brass.

Attachments

• 79008D72-0521-4284-B245-A514B8860395.jpeg
    79008D72-0521-4284-B245-A514B8860395.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 369
I think you're on the right track using those FWTW, very sexy looking if you ask me! But if the Partition does shot better then the AB, well use what works best?

I do like to see whatever I use be consistent, by that I mean almost no fliers, and just a group mass all centered around a large hole in the paper. Keeping a master target to place behind every new target will just show how accurate the gun/load(s) are in general.

I gave up on the whole better BC thing two weeks ago attempting to use the 162 ELD-X, and the LRAB seems to be a tough cookie to load and/or shoot well so went back to what I've used before, and took the plunge back to the 7mm 160 AB that was so successful in my 7mm-08!

I did find a use for the 162 ELD's though....... to Fire Form the last remaining 280 RWS Brass in the USA in my Jarrett! Ok, well I only used 1 box of the 11 last remaining boxes State side that aren't already in public hands!

From what I heard from Huntington Die Specialities RWS is no longer interested in selling their brass over here, or at least no more 280 Remington, so I bought the last of their stock. The RWS 270 Winchester brass is great stuff, but not cheap, very tough brass though.

Attachments

• P1050431.jpg
    P1050431.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 352
longrangehunter":3hen3436 said:
I gave up on the whole better BC thing two weeks ago attempting to use the 162 ELD-X, and the LRAB seems to be a tough cookie to load and/or shoot well so went back to what I've used before, and took the plunge back to the 7mm 160 AB that was so successful in my 7mm-08!

I did find a use for the 162 ELD's though....... to Fire Form the last remaining 280 RWS Brass in the USA in my Jarrett! Ok, well I only used 1 box of the 11 last remaining boxes State side that aren't already in public hands!

From what I heard from Huntington Die Specialities RWS is no longer interested in selling their brass over here, or at least no more 280 Remington, so I bought the last of their stock. The RWS 270 Winchester brass is great stuff, but not cheap, very tough brass though.
I’m pretty sure a 280AI is in my future after my 300 Long Throat.

What kinda Velocity are you getting with that load?

longrangehunter":umgym5fz said:

Well gosh darn! You can't help but LOVE that sorta load Kevin. I had a sneaking suspicion they were going to shoot for you.

Yeah, I agree with Hodgeman, BC matters, but so does how the rifle shoots a certain bullet. To me and the animals I have hunted, the AB or Partition act the same darned way for the most part. Good luck, those 270 rounds look pretty danged good from here.

I found the same with the LRAB's, i could not find the right spot that they liked. The AB's however with a little work shoot great.

hseII":3ddrtd7y said:
longrangehunter":3ddrtd7y said:

I’m pretty sure a 280AI is in my future after my 300 Long Throat.

What kinda Velocity are you getting with that load?
2,920...... Which is right at the top end looking at the Nosler Data-57.0/IMR4831. What I thought was odd was seeing in the Sierra Manual with their two 160's using IMR4831 a max of 54.8 going roughly 2850. I use 59.5 with this powder and a 150 BT, so I thought from what I'm use to seeing using this bullet in the past is fine. I ran it at 2,700-2,725 in a 7mm-08 with H414 so in a cartridge this size I'd say 2,900-2,925 fps is safe, and the 7mm-08 used a 22" Bbl vs. the 24" in my AI.

Back