Again, the "only one rifle" issue?

roysclockgun

Handloader
Dec 17, 2005
Yeah, I realize that the question has been done to death. But as I get older, I continue to discover facts regarding the wonderful world of Rifles and cartridges.

I was recently asked by a young man which rifle/cartridge combo he should buy to hunt Florida deer and pigs. Most of you know that our FL. deer are about the size of Lassie, or at least most to them are. So for just deer, any cartridge that is legal to use in FL. would work on deer. The only issue I see is the question of how thick is the cover? I have never adhered to believing in "brush buster" bullets. One needs a clear shot at a killing area of the deer, before touching off the round. If their is too thick brush between the hunter and the deer, he needs to wait for a clear shot, even at the risk of allowing the deer to get away! So, go for a 458WinMag if that is what you like, but do not expect it to push aside limbs before hitting where you aim on your game.

Our FL. wild pigs are a different story. While not bullet proof, the armor on their front end is very tough and I would not recommend 243Win for large pigs, unless one is willing to only take shots right behind the ear.

Given that, I told him to get the rifle that fit hm and that he liked, chambered in 7mm-08. Until a year ago, I had no experience with 7mm-08 and I still much covet my 280Rem. But, unless one hand loads, 280Rem is a difficult ammo to find in factory produced cartridges. Besides that, one can closely approach the ballistic of 280Rem, using 7mm-08 in most to the lighter bullets, like 120gr. and 140gr. The young man agreed and is getting the rifle in 7mm-08. I bought the 7mm-08 for my wife, who stands 5' 2" and she loves it pushing a 120gr. Nos. Bal. Tip at around 3050 fps.

I did tell him that probably the most versatile 7mm cartridge was the 7mmRemMag, but again to get out of it the max versatility one would have to hand load. Since working with the 7mm-08 over the past year, I believe that it can be loaded to handle any N. American game to include big bears, if the hunter has the nerve to hunt what can be dangerous bears with the little cartridge. I have not go after Griz., but for my money on dangerous bears, I'd want something heavier. But for hunting deer types up to and including elk and moose, the 7mm-08 will get the job done, provided the rifleman stays with ranges where he knows that he can make clean, quick killing hits.

Probably had the Swede 6.5x55mm cartridge been introduced under and more American "caliber" name like 260Express , or 264Super, it may have become a favorite, but that did not happen.

Thinking about so many grand cartridges, I am getting a headache from brain overload.
I suppose that many of us strive to be a little different and that is why after having all the variety in cartridges that man could ever have a need for, the new ones still appear on the market each year. Which one do you want to see?
Steven

You and your wife, oh that Miner Guy :grin: also, did very well on your hunts. I'm right there with you and both of your selections are great cartridges. You have heard me crying over my spilled milk here and having sold my .280 Remington, but have not been able to replace it yet in another .280. Some day................ :oops: :oops:

Steven this was with a 280 Remington at 250 yards. Two 140 gr. Partitions right behind the shoulder. He went no more than about 4 steps and went down.

Outdoorshots029.jpg

I'm with you men on that.
A few years ago Guy Miner asked about having several rifles. All of them in all stages of build. Or put all your money and time in one good one. With good glass and work up a good load.

Boy I've thought about that a lot.

Other then old levers, and keepsakes, I'm leaning that way.

Steven,

The 7mm-08 and the 280 will work very well for about anything one would encounter in North America. Even with a grizzly, it is better than a stick in the eye. It will assuredly work with moose and elk and anything smaller in weight. I frequently carry a 280, and have done so for quite a few years. The cartridge has served me quite well. I wouldn't believe myself to undergunned should I carry a 7mm-08.

I just bought bought a 9.3x74R shingle shot Number One. Actually, I believe that this rifle is imminently suited for almost all North American shooting. The rifle certainly would have easily killed most of the 100+ game animals that I have shot in the past 55 years? The only shots that I might qualify for elimination would be those shots made in excess of 300 yards but that is a small percentage of the total. :mrgreen:

As Too Tall said, I also have given the subject some thought. I'd take a 7MM Magnum as my only rifle. If needed, almost every store has ammo, like the 30-06. So, as time goes by, I will be handing some stuff over to a hunting grand-son. He's 12 now and can kill his deer and dress it by himself.

I know an "older" fellow in Montana (he's 88) that only has a single rifle, a Win. 70 in .338WM. Claimes he can kill rodents to bears with it. I'll bet he's right!

If I was young enough to have a hunting future in good years left and considering what I have hunted and where I have hunted over the past 55 years, I believe that truthfully I would pick a .300 magnum as my single rifle caliber. Since the only .300 magnum that was available when I turned to the age of starting serious hunting, I would have chosen the .300 H&H and probably still would make that same choice. Since I handload, with 165, 180 and 200 Partition bullets, I could meet all of my hunting needs in spades over my lifetime with the one rifle (a Model 70) in that caliber.

For the whole world I would pick a super accurate top of the line 375 H&H.

For the NA continent a good 300 or 7mm mag would be ample. Again top of the line with glass too.
If I was stuck in the south a 308 or 7mm -08 would also do.

Steven - good advice! That rifle should serve him well for decades!

TT - I haven't quite been able to take my own advice.

For most of my hunting: coyotes & mule deer, I tend to reach for the .25-06 700 CDL that I bought a few years back when the CDL was first available. It was almost exactly what I was considering having built in a custom rifle. That thing has proven to be an excellent hunting rifle for what I do, and where I do it. Mule deer keep falling to it, from 20 yards to 400 yards. Time to time it also serves as a rockchuck rifle. This year it branched out into serving as an antelope rifle - which I'd dearly love to repeat. It could use a bedding job and when the barrel goes it will get a nice replacement from Krieger. That will take it into the semi-custom realm I suppose.

The rifle I shoot the most is the good ol' .308 Win 700 "Green Machine." It is my most accurate rifle, and the center-fire that I shoot the most. If it was a little lighter, it would likely be my "do it all" rifle - but it is a tad heavy with that varmint contour barrel, so it gets relegated to range use most of the time and doesn't get hauled afield as often as I used to take it.

Still, it has lost a pound or so by switching back to the HS stock. And it could lose close to another half pound by switching to a lighter base & ring combo... And when the next barrel is spec'd to be fluted, it could lose another 6 - 8 ounces... So the potential is there for lighter, without a loss of accuracy. It could become my one rifle pretty easily... The only thing I'd shy away from with it would be the great bears, and frankly, I can't afford to hunt them anyway! :oops:

Then there's the .375 H&H Ruger Number One. At one point I almost sold it... But couldn't bring myself to do so. It's simply too cool. And if anything ever needs a big hole knocked in it again, the Ruger stands ready. I find it wonderfully nice to carry and surprisingly accurate for such a powerful rifle.

So I don't see myself going down to one rifle for most of my hunting, despite how much that thought appeals to me in the abstract. I'm seriously hooked on these three rifles and would hate to make a choice between the three.

Regards, Guy

As most of you already know, in 1969 when I got back from the army, I bought a used Post 64 Model 70 Winchester, in 300 Win Mag. With the 180 grain PT it has taken lots of deer and elk over the years. I have other rifles but this one is the one I carry the most. In case you may not have seen it before here is a recent picture.
011.jpg

If I had to go with only one centerfire rifle I think I'd have to choose between my .280 and my .35 Whelen. It would be a tough choice!

River Rider, what would be the differences twixt 280Rem and 35Whelan that might sway you one way, or the other?
I have not had experience with 35Whelan, but I would think that it could lauch much heavier bullets, although with some loss of MV and some loss of flatter shooting, provided by the 280.
Steven

The 7-08 is a good one, and well under-rated. Then too, Nosler's advent of the LR-AB breathes extra life into these smaller case capacity rounds. However, for a one gun situation, I would prefer a .30 cal. of some kind,,,,I'm still a fan of the grand old .30-06 myself. Altough with at said, I shoot a a .308 and a 7mm that is a tad smaller the the 7-08 as well. But for one gun, it would be the 06- or .300 win. mag..

roysclockgun":2iqrj24m said:
River Rider, what would be the differences twixt 280Rem and 35Whelan that might sway you one way, or the other?
I have not had experience with 35Whelan, but I would think that it could lauch much heavier bullets, although with some loss of MV and some loss of flatter shooting, provided by the 280.
Steven

For myself, the choice would come down to the critters hunted. If the largest on the menu was, for instance, elk and the smallest was, for the sake of discussion, wolves, the 280 would get the nod. If larger game with big teeth and claws that have an attitude was on the agenda, then I'd be more comfortable carrying the Whelen. These are two great cartridges, however, that have been overlooked in much of the shooting world.

Wait... someone can have just one rifle?

Do not.. under any circumstances, mention this in front of my wife.... please!

My recent description of the 7STW's 'necessity' was already getting a raised eyebrow. I do believe the 'But honey, this one goes to 11', was met with the same level of resignation she has when it comes to most of my hobbies. :)

AzDak42":31m95twt said:
Wait... someone can have just one rifle?

Do not.. under any circumstances, mention this in front of my wife.... please!

My recent description of the 7STW's 'necessity' was already getting a raised eyebrow. I do believe the 'But honey, this one goes to 11', was met with the same level of resignation she has when it comes to most of my hobbies. :)

:lol:

roysclockgun":ck681uua said:
Steven

I guess it would come down to the kinds of hunting I could reasonably expect to do. The Whelen just has more horsepower, so that's why I would have to think about it. Hogs are probably the largest animals I have access to these days, and some get awful big. That big 225 AB just won't be denied! But still, the .280 is very capable. I just dunno...and I don't wanna hafta choose!

There are several calibers that will fill the role of "do it all"...the only question is which one suits the person shooting it.

Ridgerunner665":1r5qj57f said:
There are several calibers that will fill the role of "do it all"...the only question is which one suits the person shooting it.

No arguing that rationale,,,I agree.

Back