Alliant Powder + Accubond = ?????

Pronghorn Sniper

Beginner
Dec 3, 2011
I am JUST getting in to reloading and was wondering if anyone had any info/experience with a specific combo:

I would like to try using Alliant's Reloder 22 (R22) with a 110-grain Nosler AccuBond for a .25-06 caliber rifle for Pronghorn Antelope.

I've read that IMR 4831 is one of the best powders for this caliber, but have seen a few good things about R22 as well.

Any thoughts?

PS,

Since you are just getting started with reloading, pick up a copy of the Nosler RG #6. It is packed with a lot of good information from the loading process to load data for many different cartridges. There are also short stories writen about each cartridge in the RG.

When you look up any given cartridge, the load data will list the most accurate powder tested. My experience is that it has always been a good choice to start with this listed powder. Accurate loads were always there.

JD338

RR,

Is Retumbo a slower burning powder? I do not have any knowledge about this product yet. I breifly looked it up on the Hodgdon website and it says its a magnum powder expressly designed for "really large overbored cartridges such as the 7mm Remington Ultra Magnum, 300 Remington Ultra Magnum, 30-378 Weatherby Magnum, etc".

Wouldn't a .25-06 be considered miniscule compared to these behemoths? Being a total newby, I really don't know enough about all this yet, so please fogive me if I'm sounding stupid. :oops:

Thanks for the suggestion! :mrgreen:

It's a very slow-burning powder. Slow burners can work in smaller cases if the sectional density of the bullet used is high enough and the bore diameter is small enough. I have pushed 110-grain Accubonds well over 3300 fps with a max charge of Retumbo without any pressure signs, and that was with a 22-inch barrel. Unfortunately the rifle was a Model 70 with BOSS and I lost patience with the BOSS and sold the rifle a couple of weeks ago. Others here have had outstanding results with Retumbo in the .25-06. I intend to see about it myself before too long---I have a brand new Model 70 in .25-06, but I'm playing with 75-grain V-Maxes first. Oh, and NO I am not using Retumbo to push these light bullets, I am trying Ramshot Hunter which is a considerably faster burning powder.

I'll second Jim's advice to read all the foreword sections in the Nosler Guide, and to heed the most accurate load notations. I'll only add that you should read and re-read the guide. Also, you might want to drop by the Hornady website and read through their excellent treatise on ballistics:

http://www.hornady.com/ballistics-resource

As for Retumbo, You're correct that it's slower than RL22. I'm not sure if the 25-06 is overbore enough to make best use of it, but it may be - and think of overbore as the ratio between the powder capacity versus the bore diameter. The 25-06 is overbore, by all definitions, for sure.

I pulled this from the Alliant site for a 115:

25-06 Remington

Speer 115 gr SP

Remington

CCI 200

Reloder 22

I would have thought Retumbo way too slow for this application, but according to the Hodgdon site http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp it isn't, although as you say IMR-4831 & even 4350 show better numbers w/ a 117. I bet Ramshot's Magnum would be great in this application though; email Johan Loubser at Ramshot johan@ramshot.com and ask him for suggestions!

Good luck,

efw

Nosler's manual shows Retumbo giving the highest velocity with the 110, 115 and 120 gr bullets so it should be a top choice with the heavier bullets. Another good manual is by Speer they give a lot of info on the reloading process.

Retumbo worked pretty well in my short time with a 25-06 speed wise. I cannot remember my speeds with the 115gr BT's but it was North of 3100. I agree with the others, Speers and Nosler's manuals are great ones to work with. RL22 is a great powder as well. Scotty

I wouldn't have thought of using Retumbo in my .25-06, but had some on hand after I sold my .300 RUM.

Tried Retumbo with some 115 gr bullets for the .25-06, and have been very happy with the results. Good accuracy and no sweat getting at least 3100 fps from the rifle. Three dead mule deer from that combination now, at 175, 230 and 400 yards. Good coyote load too.

Otherwise I'd recommend H4350 for the 100's, and either 4831 or RL-22 for the 115's and similar "heavy" bullets from the .25-06.

Back