Another use For Ramshot big game

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
Big game found another use in my 22-250 with the 53 V-Max. I was about to call it quits because it was a real dog starting out, but it got near max and started coming together. And 38.8 seemed to sweet spot. Then at .010” off the lands it parked 5 Bullets into a .300” hole. MagnetoSpeed says average of 3696

Attachments

• 3372484D-09A0-4A35-B79E-F8DCB1790813.jpeg
    3372484D-09A0-4A35-B79E-F8DCB1790813.jpeg
    398.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 2DEC1E11-18B3-4B88-ADB5-6A0A3EF4FE84.jpeg
    2DEC1E11-18B3-4B88-ADB5-6A0A3EF4FE84.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 26
Outsch.
I see critters exploding at shorter ranges with that combo!
Looks great, let us know how it works on game.

Big Game came up on my radar for use in the .220 Swift a while back. If it works in the 22-250 it will likely work in the Swift. I just need to find some big game on the shelf.

I've developed good loads with Ramshot BigGame in my sons 6.5 creedmoor, my 7x57 and also my 8x57. The one thing I've noticed is that with every bullet tried in all the cartridges I've loaded it in, the BigGame goes from not the least bit accurate to very accurate and the most accuracy is always found near or at a max charge weight. I've also noticed that BigGame seems like it burns very clean and carbon fouls less than other powders. And it meters like a champ.

I've developed good loads with Ramshot BigGame in my sons 6.5 creedmoor, my 7x57 and also my 8x57. The one thing I've noticed is that with every bullet tried in all the cartridges I've loaded it in, the BigGame goes from not the least bit accurate to very accurate and the most accuracy is always found near or at a max charge weight. I've also noticed that BigGame seems like it burns very clean and carbon fouls less than other powders. And it meters like a champ.
All your observations mirror my own experience with Big Game. It is an overlooked powder. Tragically, it is somewhat difficult to find with any degree of regularity here in Canada.

Ramshot powders are on my list for all of the reasons mentioned in above posts that I've read before. And for whatever reason they are some of the cheapest powders. I know where there is some, but I'm not in the buying game right now and have enough powder of what I use except for Varget.

Big Game in particular falls at a very useful spot in the burn rate that is used for a lot of common cartridges and in place of a lot of commonly used powders.

Hard to beat those results.
I will have to admit the only Western Powder I’ve used is TAC for myself and dabbled with LRT for the boy. Both are excellent powders in my opinion.

Back