Anyone reload 9mm Luger?

Yoteklr

Work, load, shoot, hunt, repeat
Apr 19, 2022
I'm thinking about starting reloading for 9mm.
I have been a proficient rifle reloader for many years
I reload for about twenty different cartridges but I have never reloaded a single pistol round.
If anyone here can help me with a few questions.

How much different is loading for pistol vs rifle?

Do I need to get a turret or progressive press?

Will I see a difference in accuracy with reloading pistol vs factory ammo?

Will I ever save any money by loading pistol?

I originally started reloading loading rifle to save money but I'm as far from saving money as it gets,lol. ( I fell into a deep rabbit hole in search of accuracy and precision)

Any opinions or advice is appreciated, thanks.

Well i don't reload 9mm but i do reload a few different pistol round. Here are my comments
Difference from rifle? Use a 3 die carbide set, 1 sizer/decap, 2 expander (different from rifle dies), 3 seater/crimp
20220901_205618.jpg
Carbide dies don't require cases to be lubed most of the time

Different press? I use a single stage but dont do high volume 50 to 100 in a sitting. And also sometimes do stages where i get a bunch prepped, primed, loaded.

Better accuracy? Id say yes
Cheaper? Depents on what you reload and component prices. Plinking maybe not, defense most likely yes

Thanks, I've only loaded one at a time. Meticulous QC ,almost OCD about every small detail. So getting a Progressive press is a different word for me.
Those setups can get expensive, it would take me a looong time to recuperate any savings from a Dillon.

I've reloaded virtually everything (except for rimfire cartridges) for over 40 years. At the price you pay for 9mm bulk ammo, it's just not worth your time reloading 9mm. Unless you like reloading as a hobby and have plenty of spare time on your hands; just look for good deals on bulk 9mm.

Yeah I load for the 9mm. LIke Slim said, if you're gonna do it, get a cabide die set, you don't need to lube cases. I have the Lee set, works good, I'm sure there's others. You don't have to be meticulous, just obviously not sloppy on things like powder type and amount. I know a guy that shoots a 1000 rounds a month easy, even now, and shoots cases until failure, done it for years, and says he never needs to trim cases. So it's not like loading rifle.....no case lube, and at least in a 9mm, likely no trimming.

Get your bullet depth set using the plunk test, and load up. You can still buy plinking bullets for under $80 per 1000. Biggest problem like any cartridge today is gonna be primers.

Yeah I load for the 9mm. LIke Slim said, if you're gonna do it, get a cabide die set, you don't need to lube cases. I have the Lee set, works good, I'm sure there's others. You don't have to be meticulous, just obviously not sloppy on things like powder type and amount. I know a guy that shoots a 1000 rounds a month easy, even now, and shoots cases until failure, done it for years, and says he never needs to trim cases. So it's not like loading rifle.....no case lube, and at least in a 9mm, likely no trimming.

Get your bullet depth set using the plunk test, and load up. You can still buy plinking bullets for under $80 per 1000. Biggest problem like any cartridge today is gonna be primers.
Yeah, that's no BS!

What's the plunk test?

Back about 1990 or so a couple of us got together and bought one of the early Dillion progressive reloaders. Kept it set up in the observation room for our range at the PD. It got a lot of use for about three or four years. Then we found out there were bulk retailers out there who offered a good price. This was before the internet had been invented by Al Gore. I could buy 1,000 rounds for less than I could reload it for If I accounted for my time. It’s even harder to justify today With online sales.

Back about 1990 or so a couple of us got together and bought one of the early Dillion progressive reloaders. Kept it set up in the observation room for our range at the PD. It got a lot of use for about three or four years. Then we found out there were bulk retailers out there who offered a good price. This was before the internet had been invented by Al Gore. I could buy 1,000 rounds for less than I could reload it for If I accounted for my time. It’s even harder to justify today With online sales.
Got it.

75% of my free time is keeping my dozens of rifles fed!
I pride myself on rolling my own. This is the first time I can ever remember that I find myself buying factory ammo.

9 mm Luger is how I started reloading back in 1986. We were shooting over 500/week. All I ever used was RCBS RCII, and RCBS Powder measure, Hornady beam scale and RCBS Carbide dies. Then started reloading WBY 300. Never ventured into progressive. I have friends that did, but I like my RCII.
I think 9mm Luger is the easiest round to load.

Thanks, I've only loaded one at a time. Meticulous QC ,almost OCD about every small detail. So getting a Progressive press is a different word for me.
Those setups can get expensive, it would take me a looong time to recuperate any savings from a Dillon.
If you're looking at the big Dillon reloading machines, I would say yes on recuperating any savings, but the Square Deal B is still affordable and will make very accurate ammo faster than you can on a single stage press. I started out with a single stage and progressed to a progressive and I now own 3 Dillons one of which is the Square Deal B which I load .38Spl on, a 450/550 that is set up for .45acp and a 550 that has an interchangeable head set up with different dies and powder measures.
I still load all my rifle ammo on a single stage RCBS.

I used to load pistol rounds on a RCBS press long ago, but switched to the Dillon 550, and used it for like 3 years. I did not reload for 9mm but for the more expensive rounds like the .38 Super and .41 Magnum, and i have loaded some .45 ACP. Used the .38 Super / .45 ACP at a local pistol range where we used to have a weekly bowling pin shootout. Haven't been pistol loading since. The Dillon 550 is a great machine, loads faster than a single stage, but you need to watch to make sure each station is set up properly that it works flawless and properly. It's fun. I may uncover that Dillon press and tinker with it, possible start using it again.
As for accuracy, it does shoot better, depending on powder and bullets. The only drawback is picking up your fired brass at the range if using a semi auto, it tends to get mixed up with other brass and searching for them in the grass is a pain in the arse as well. If shooting pistols, I go to my ranch where I set up the target with a backstop and lay out a tarp in the bed of my truck and over the sides of the truck and shoot my pistols from the tailgate side and all the spent brass would land in the bed of the truck and when I'm done, I would wrap up the tarp and sort out all the brass when I get home.

As others have said use the carbide dies that way no lube is needed. Started loading pistol shells on a single stage press. Not mass production just enough to practice some. Decided to go small scale progressive and bought a Dillon 450 Square Deal B. It does everything I want using for the 9mm and 45acp. Still loading 38spcl on single stage as it doesn't get shot much anymore. Yeah, you can buy them pretty cheap. I just like reloading. Been a good hobby for over 40 yrs. Dan.

Yeah, that's no BS!

What's the plunk test?

Easier to just put a link up than explain. I just googled it and copied the first link that came up. Basically the same concept as seeing what the max overall length is for a particular bullet in a particular chamber in a rifle when you're reloading. I don't go to the lengths of coloring up bullets as in this article, but I just got the bullet I was using seated deep enough for the chamber in my 9mm, and set the die and was done.

As was mentioned above, when ammo is readily available and running cheap, you almost can't mess with reloading pistol if you're just a recreational shooter like I am and not a serious pistol shooter. But I don't like to depend on something that might not be available. I got plenty here to load up what I need when I want, so that's how I do it.

So,
Several things have transpired recently! After getting my first semi auto pistol p365 a few weeks ago , I bought a p365xl! Lol.

I also picked up a progressive press, Genex pistol primers and N320 powder.
I have been looking at RMR bullets particularly the Flat nose Matchwinners.

My question is, has anyone used RMR bullets or especially the Matchwinners?

Also would N320 powder be better suited for 115gr or 124gr bullets in my Sig pistols the p365 is 3.1" and the XL is a 3.7" barrel.

Thanks.

I used to shoot bullseye matches . I shot around 10,000 rounds a year . I couldn't keep up with a turret top press , I bought a Hornady progressive press with the brass feeder attachment . my comp shooting buddies used Dillon presses . one guy had a 650 , the other guy used a square deal . they all make good ammo . if you're plinking you should be able to buy ammo for the 9mm cheap enough to make reloading it about senseless . the last stage on my press was a Lee factory crimp die . it has a carbide resizing ring that will size the OD of the case on the way out , incase you get one that is swelled a little . I never had a failure to feed after I started to use the Lee die .

I made a couple of brass catchers . the first one I made out of 1/2" EMT . it worked well . was a little heavy on the tripod , as you would get a bunch of brass in it , it would fall over from the brass weight . so I made one out of steel brake line tubing. I use 1/4" for all it , except for the pivots , they were 5/16 . I then pull a mesh laundry bag over the metal frame . this one worked great . I made one for both of my buddies , and a few guys I'd meet at matches had me make them one . a few guys laughed when they first saw them , but in a few weeks they asked if I would make them one .

I haven't shot bullseye for a while , this gave me an excuse to drag my stuff out for a few pics . this is how I'd be set up at a shoot . this bench is way to low , but you'll have the idea .

P9050462.JPG P9050463.JPG P9050464.JPG P9050465.JPG P9050466.JPG

close ups of the brass catchers .

P9050467.JPG P9050468.JPG P9050470.JPG P9050471.JPG

this one will fold about flat too . I'm at the pic limit .
P9050472.JPG

I started reloading 9mm last year when you couldn't even find range ammo. As some have said you can't really reload cheaper than range ammo but you can save on hollow points. I just have a single stage press and it may be slower but I load around the dulls of winter when I have spare time.
I use this powder dispenser for pistol https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019622550?pid=443812 and I mount it to this stand which makes it mobile. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101683274?pid=788261

RMR has decent bullets for 9mm I like their hollow point 124 grain bullets.
Get on their mailing list and you'll get discounts especially around a holiday they also have a forum with recipes for loading their bullets.

Here is a website that has tested all kinds of powders and I used them as good info when buying powders for my CZ 9mm. I like both Ramshot True Blue and Silhouette.

I have and do use RMR bullets in 9mm and 45acp. They are good bullets, good to deal with and have no issues with them. Have some of the flat nose loaded and been shooting now. Dan.

Back