Barnes bullets in the 30-06

Chris338378

Beginner
Nov 10, 2008
I am trying to work up a load for my father in law's 30-06 with 180 grain Barnes X-Bullets flat base (this is what the box says and was purchased in the Spring of 2009 at Cabela's. I have tried several different loads and powder combinations without getting any groups smaller than 2 1/2 to 3 inches.

I'd like to know if anyone has a load that shoots well, less than 1 inch, with these heads. Any suggestions would greatly appreciated. Also the barrel has been cleaned with Sweets 7.62 until there is no blue on the patch, then dry patches ran through until completely dry, then this was repeated with Butches Bore Shine. Thanks for all your help.

It is always possible that your FIL's rifle doesn't like the monolithic Barnes. The best advice I can give on these bullets is to allow plenty of freebore. Start at 0.05 off the lands and extend that until you find the sweet spot. You will likely find that even 0.100 off the lands is necessary for acceptable accuracy. I have shot a lot of Barnes bullets, but not in the 30-06. Generally, they shoot quite well, so ensure that you are giving the bullet a good run before engaging the lands.

Chris - Are these the TSX bullets with the bands/grooves cut around them or the older X style bullets without the bands/grooves?

The TSX has not been a problem at all for me in several different cartridges including the .30-06, but the old X bullet could be either very good or very bad for accuracy in different rifles. Quite a difference between them.

Guy

Get a box of the 130 or 150gr Tipped TSX bullets and you will have a better bullet and one that will be less trouble to get to group. The older X-bullets were harder to work with. The 150gr Tipped TSX bullet will work like a regular bullet weighing 30% more or like the regular 180+gr bullets. To make any of the non-lead bullets work well on game they need to be pushed fast.
I loaded 150gr tipped TSX bullets in 30-06 brass using a max load of IMR4064 with a mag primer and they give 3 shot groups you can cover with a quarter. They have also worked well on deer and wild hogs.

These heads arthe older X style bullets without the bands/grooves. He has no desire to use any other weights other than the 180 grain so that idea is out.

Get the Triple Shocks, or better yet, get the 180 grain E-Tip to load for him. Rifles either tolerated or hated the older style Barnes bullets. The addition of the relief grooves helped considerably. The metal used in the E-Tip bullet seems to avoid some of the problems of the older Barnes bullets.

Years ago when I tried the X-bullets, I got so frustrated with poor accuracy, low muzzle velocity and excessive copper fouling that I literally dumped what was left of the box of very expensive bullets in the trash. Then I loaded up some Nosler Partitions, went out and shot an elk.

A few years ago when the TSX's made their debut, I decided to try them, and found that they are much, much better than their predecessors from Barnes. Actually good bullets. The X worked well in some rifles, and very poorly in others. Problems with the X led directly to the creation of the TSX.

Regards, Guy

Same old Barnes bullet problem.
Unless you plan on hunting in the condor zone just go to Nosler Accubonds. Life will be wonderful for your groups and game getting success. BUT!! first you have to get the 3 or 4 thousands of an inch of copper out of your bore. (Sorry but) the origional Barnes bullets will leave a deposit that is real rough to remove even with their copper solvent.
If you insist on non lead bullets use Nosler e-tips or Barnes TSX or pointed TSX. The votes not in yet on Hornady's unleaded.
Greg

I would second the comments about the TSX...it's an amazing bullet with unbelievable performance on game. I've found it to be extremely accurate as well. Currently I'm loading TSX's in my three main guns:

257 Weatherby Mag - 115 grain TSX & 100 grain Tipped TSX
.30-06 Springfield - 165 grain TSX
.338 Winchester Mag - 225 grain TSX

All loads are averaging between .5" - .75", 3 shot groups at 100 yards.

I'd suggest purchasing some of the 180 grain TSX's and moving away from the old X Bullets. The new TSX's are also using a slightly different metal ratio, which along with the pressure bands, decreases the copper fouling.

x2 with guy . get some partitions. Use the old x bullets for rimfire targets, paper weights, or sell them to some one you don't like. lol

Some years ago, I bought a box of 180gr. Barnes X to test in my Tikka 30-06 for elk hunting. The groups that Barnes bullets produced were way down the line, in terms of accuracy. The two 180gr. bullets that grouped best in my 30-06 turned out to be Speer GrandSlam and Nosler AB.
I would not again pay for Barnes bullets.
Steven A.

If he is just set on the 180 gr. weight in the 30-06, I would use the 180 grain AccuBond. I settled on the 165 gr. weight in my own 30-06 and it has killed everything that I've shot with it! What more could you ask? :grin:

For tougher game, like elk, I would opt for the Partition, over the AB. Seems to me that one can get a lot of angles on a large bull, where max penetration is needed.
Even Nosler's hot line recommends Partitions for tougher game.
Steven A.

Back