Bedding the CDL's

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
You guys know how much I like my Rem 700 CDL's, particularly the .25-06, it's been almost like a magic wand for me in the hunting fields. Point it and stuff drops.

Well, I decided to treat both the rifles to a proper bedding job, better than I have been able to do in the past. My friend Mitch at Rolen Rifle Werkz did a fine job of pillar bedding both of them, and setting the triggers at 3# crisp, just the way I like them. Range report pending... They were both good before, particularly the .25-06, and I suspect they'll be even better now.

The stock on the right goes to the .30-06, and although it has shot well, I haven't yet worked up The Best load for it. Now I will...

Guy

Better than I've done in the past... :roll: Which is why I turned to Mitch, he's a gee-whiz gunsmith, and a young fellow too. He'll be around to help me with my rifles for a long time I hope.

Guy

When I bedded mine, I found the tang to be the hard part...getting it to a smooth transition into the stock proved quite difficult...never did get it the way I wanted it to look.

But the bedding job works...it did help accuracy by a very noticeable margin...honestly, it did turn out better than I expected...it was my first time.

I used MarineTex...what did you use Guy?

Like I said, not near as neat as yours...especially under the tang.

You've got to remember, I hired this job out to someone competent... Not me! :mrgreen:

Mitch Rolen at Rolen Rifle Werkz did the job and used Devcon steel putty for the bedding material. He's a very good young gunsmith who recently went into business on his own.

Guy

Wow, that is great workmanship. That guy knows what he is doing.

Like several others who replied, I have bedded a few, but they sure did not come out that good.

I imagine they really ought to shoot now.

Guy Miner":1ogpxpwk said:
You've got to remember, I hired this job out to someone competent... Not me! :mrgreen:

Mitch Rolen at Rolen Rifle Werkz did the job and used Devcon steel putty for the bedding material. He's a very good young gunsmith who recently went into business on his own.

Guy

Ahhh...I see now...I thought you meant he did the pillars and you did the bedding.

I think you will like the way it shoots. Turned my M700 into a one holer with the right loads.
That looks way better than mine. I used Accra Gel because I had some left over from other projects. I took my time mixing the color for the lug and tang, hard to tell the glass from the wood. I then bedded the barrel channel. I mixed some black for the forend cap and that turned out good, but I got distracted when mixing the color for the rest of the barrel channel. So I now have 3 different colors under my barreled action.
Rifle doesn't seem to care though.
While I like the Accra glas gel, the next one I do I want to try the Devcon steel putty but it is soooo expensive!

Yes, I agree. That .25-06 has always shot well, real well. Someday I'll likely whittle my rifle collection down, and I suspect these two, .30-06 & .25-06, along with my "Green Machine" will remain long after most of the others have moved on to new homes.

As far as I'm concerned Remington hit a home run with the CDL's, they fit me well and look good too.

Guy

Darkhorse":2jblreiq said:
I think you will like the way it shoots. Turned my M700 into a one holer with the right loads.
That looks way better than mine. I used Accra Gel because I had some left over from other projects. I took my time mixing the color for the lug and tang, hard to tell the glass from the wood. I then bedded the barrel channel. I mixed some black for the forend cap and that turned out good, but I got distracted when mixing the color for the rest of the barrel channel. So I now have 3 different colors under my barreled action.
Rifle doesn't seem to care though.
While I like the Accra glas gel, the next one I do I want to try the Devcon steel putty but it is soooo expensive!

The Devcon 10110 is what I use and it isn't bad to buy from Enco. www.use-enco.com

The last one I used Acra-glass I had left over and I'm in the middle of another one right now. I'll probably just finish off the Acra-glass to get rid of it as I prefer the Devcon. Bedding takes patience and practice to get it to look good.

Guy it looks like that young Smith has a lot of pride in his work. I am sure those rifles are going to shoot real tight!
I agree with your assessment on the CDLs they are a fine rifle. I also really like the Sendero as well :). I don't think they make a left handed model in the Sendero yet.

Blessings,
Dan

Very nice work. Hopefully you'll see an improvement, may be hard to notice in your quarterbore though. Wish I could bed that neat. Looks like money well spent!

Guy that looks fantastic and I bet it improves the accuracy and makes both of them more consistent at the same time.

Even as light kicking as a .280 Remington is, before I had my gunsmith bed mine, the first stock on it split at the rear screw in the area of the pistol grip. You won't have to worry about that now!! It was a 700 MTN rifle by the way.

30-06 165 gr. AccuBond or Partition - Fed 210 Match primer -IMR4350 57.4 grs. (56-58) same with H4350.

A fine looking job, Guy. I'll look forward to the new range reports. Don't know if I can handle those one hole targets, though. :grin:

The best thing, in my opinion, that you can do for a rifle is bed it. Looks like your smith did a fine job. It took me quite a few attempts to get those results. I wouldn't dare show anyone my first bedding job! Too much compound, thick greasy release agent, crooked. It was just awful. I did learn a lot though. I'm sure those rifles will perform even better for you.
Steve

I'm gonna do a "touch up" on mine someday...maybe after this deer season...I have the MarineTex already but haven't seen the need to be in a hurry to do it...it shoots great, and if it ain't broke I ain't gonna fix it.

Back