Beretta 92

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
Well we do not have a handgun forum so I will post this here.

What do you guys think about the Beretta 92 FS or the newer vertec model? Since it is the official sidearm of the USAF I carry one of thes all the time but I need a couple of unbiased opinions. I like the feel, love the durability and reliability is truly top notch. Believe it or not I do not know much about its accuracy even though I have shot it countless times! See it is a fixed sight weapon so we get different guns every time we have to shoot for qualification, so accuracy varies. Anyway what say you?

I changed the hammer spring to a D model spring, looking for a D hammer as well. WOW what a difference that makes. Wife bought me a laser max unit for it. Love it also. Put a pair of Houge rubber grips on it. I absoluty love that weapon. I have had it ever since I was okd enogh to buy a handgun.

I ran the arms room for the 1st-82nd for a long time. It is not the most accurate but it rarely jams which is much more important. The ARMY has won many compitions with it so it aint as bad as everyone would like it to be. When things get worn replace em they are made of soft metal (for reliabilty) Clean your magazines and ck their springs too!!!!!! Magazines are not normaly inspected so they sit in a box collecting dust and yes those stainless steel springs rust and will hang up on all that dirt in there. The pistol is just fine. Go swiming in the swamps of Louisiana and then get out and it will shoot, try that with a 1911.

The 9mm ball ammo is dismall. The worst of the worst. Long history of its inability to stop bad people. German WW2 officers complained about it. The 1911's history is more like some god like sword smashing all that stands before it.
The FBI had many bad instances with well placed 9mm shots but the FBI agents still lost. So in 1981ish they got some doctors and bullet experts together it makes for good reading.
I would never suggest for you to break the rules but I will tell you what other people have done. When these people got deployed to some gawed awful stink hole. I have seen many people take there own box of ammo into country like the 9mm powerball hollow points (reliability of ball ammo but expands) and before they leave throw the box away. People are checked for contraban when leaving a country not going to a country.
I could take a young soldier and 50 rounds and have them qualify expert, I could not say this about the 1911. 1911 fans don't get me wrong I own every model and the only one I like more is a Colt python.
If you have the money buy one and practice practice practice take all the courses you can some are lame. Shoot while on the ground, standing with one foot in the air, try walking fast then running towards target then away, then try with your other hand, loadit with one hand, Point and shoot it don't use the sights (a little instructing here helps) Sights don't work at night thats why we would train this way, you still look down the barrel hands arms eye never change. You might have heard shoot from the waist up. Oh one more thing might want to think about closing your eye right before you shoot that thing at night. Practice this in day time its hard. So are there any rules that your SGT has said that I have not told you to break? Please be safe and you can practice this all w/out bullets.
I guess you have touched a soft spot with me and a lack of bullets and TIME for training. It's all about training the pistol is just fine. I am more scared of a well trained Delta force(they have a new name now) or Navy seal armed with a toothpick than any raghead with an AK47 I guess I should get off my soap box now.
The 92 is a good pistol.

I have a 92 FS & the only problem I can recall having was getting some brass that had been fired in a full auto mixed in with my pistol brass. The swollen base made it jam. That was the only time I have ever had a failure to feed from my Beretta. The accuracy is very good & the function is even better. I think that the 9mm round is not as effective as a 22 rimfire.

I agree, the 9mm is not all it is talked up to be but this is coming from a guy who has packed a 45 or 44 stoked with 250 grain bullets as opposed to thelighters ones you'll find in those 9mms. I am curious about purchasing a 40 S+W or even a 10mm. And i dont really care for glocks, any suggestions?

Good luck with finding a 10mm then, cause Glock is the only one producing an affordable 10 yet.
Kimber makes one, Dan Wesson under CZ makes one.
I am eyeballing the hell out of Colt Delta's and Delta Elite's. I will get one when I find an unfired Stainless and when I can afford to let it sit in the safe.

As for .40's, I own a CZ 75B in Satin Nickel finish. Beautiful weapon and accurate. Brother own's a Baby Eagle in .40. That one took quite a few rounds to get broke in though.

Beretta 96 is a nice weapon. A friend has the S&W 4006, I actually shot that weapon perfectly the first time I held it. Did some research and the reason is because that the slide sits lower on the frame and your hand is higher on the grip so there isn't as much leverage trying to fling your hand back.

S&W made a revolver 610 that shoots 40 and 10. Another weapon I will add to the safe.

I have a 92G-SD that is a true joy to shoot. Take down is easy have never had a problem with it.
I have it up on Gunbroker right now as my 11year old boy deserves a Honda CRF80F for being such a great kid.

Travis

I got one in an INOX...love it!!!!!!!

well i have carryed a beretta 92 for years on duty as well as off. my off duty is a 92s seconed genaration. i have never had a problum with it, i did have to replace the fireing pin spring after many 1,0000's of round down range. I really like the trigger bar reset , that inself is a big reason why ive scored very high on my dep coursae of fire, where every second counts :grin:

The army is getting a new pistol a 45 ACP

Retired Army

1st Cav
Red Team 98

I have been wanting a Beretta 92 for quite some time even though everything I heard (Until Now!) has been negative. I like the fit and finish, but I think that I would have to go with the 96. I agree with all of the comments about the 9mm cartridge lacking.

Who all has a Beretta for sale?

After using them Iraq......never would buy a 92..............like I said the Army is going to a new pistol and I heard it is going to 45 ACP in a steel frame.

Some of our men had Sigs and HK.......very good reports.

If I were to go after a 9mm it would be a Browning Hi Power......even the old Rep Guard had these issued to them......

I've got a 96FS. I've carried it and used it in IDPA competition for several years. Its an excellent pistol. I'd recommend the meprolight sights. I have a Bar-Sto barrel on mine, which is a possible upgrade. The big advantage to the 96 is that you can get a .357 Sig Bar Sto barrel for it, pretty much an unbeatable combination.

Back