best all-around Leupold reticle for dense woods?

I actually seem to prefer a regular duplex in theses instances. The reason is this: I believe at close range, I do not want anything more in my sight picture than necessary to acquire the target. I think the heavy duplex could be more of a distraction than a benefit. Just an idea, you need to decide for yourself.

Ps: I believe this is why some use post reticles, like the Benoit family with their Trijicon scopes. Those boys hunt dense woods.

m1aggie01

I prefer the standard Duplex reticle for hunting the hardwoods and cedar swamps here in MI. I do have a Heavy Duplex M8 4x on a muzzle loader and it works ok but I like the standard better. I have never had a problem sighting in heavy timber during legal shooting hours.

JD338

Hunting Va in thick hardwoods or in the pines i use the standard Duplex. I think a German #4 would be great if you can get it.

Woodycreek":2sd40p33 said:
Hunting Va in thick hardwoods or in the pines i use the standard Duplex. I think a German #4 would be great if you can get it.

I thought about the German #4 too

Woodycreek":2o9td5so said:

I had that on my Kahles I bought while stationed in Germany...Wow what a scope!

My next scope will be a Mark 4 4.5-14-40mm with standard duplex crosshairs, 30mm tube and custom load knobs.

I have used the German #4 and #7, and I also like the Trijicon illuminated reticles. They now have crosswires as well as the post option.

jim

JD338":1x61wrct said:
m1aggie01

I prefer the standard Duplex reticle for hunting the hardwoods and cedar swamps here in MI. I do have a Heavy Duplex M8 4x on a muzzle loader and it works ok but I like the standard better. I have never had a problem sighting in heavy timber during legal shooting hours.

JD338

But after legal shooting hours is a different story huh JD?!?!? :wink: :lol:

m1aggie01":34mifmp5 said:
which do you prefer? now w/ the custom shop you can just about any you desire.
....................Just got a new Leupy VX3 1.5-5x20 with the German #4 reticle! That reticle IMO, offers the best compromise between the regular duplex and the heavy duplex!!...........The #4 will give you quick acquisition like a heavy duplex, without overwhelming the shooter with thick reticles from all sides which may cause too much of the target to be covered over. I consider the #4 to be even better than the standard duplex and the heavy duplex, because you get the features of both in the #4!!

Back