Best hand load for Rem 7mm

sky

Beginner
Oct 27, 2005
I shoot a Rem model 700 7mm mag and am a mule deer and elk hunter. I prefer to use only one load for all my hunting so I am familiar with the balistics. Most of my shots are between 200 to 500 yards. I live in Utah and hunt at elevations between 5,000 and 10,000 ft. at a temp of between 30 degrees above to 20 degrees below zero. Currently I handload Nosler 160 gr partitions using H1000 powder and produce approx 2900 fps muzzel vel. QUESTION: Is there a better option? Bullet, powder, etc? I am very open to suggestions and am willing to load up a few new ideas and try them in my riffle.

The h1000 was my choice in my 7mm until last I started using hodgdon retumbo picked up some more speed and accuracy was just as good if not better. 160 AccuBond at 3120fps makes me smile

I am totally with you on one load for everything. When I'm hunting, I have enough variables and details to attend to without having to try to remember trajectory tables and windage charts for six different loads. I've hunted New Mexico antelope, deer, and elk for 25 years with a Ruger M77 7mmremmag. I've never shot an animal with anything but a Nosler bullet. I use a variety of brass with CCI magnum primers.

The first 20 years, most game fell to 63 grs of IMR4831 pushing 160 gr partitions. I tried the 150 gr ballistic tips for two years on antelope and cannot recommend them in this cartridge. Switched to the 160 gr AB's when they came out. Then, switched to 60 grs of IMR4350 because I wanted to share powder with my .308. I have found the 4350 to be slightly more accurate in my gun. I killed a cow elk last year at 11,000 ft and 12 degrees F. Excellent bullet performance at about 200 yds.

Then, I switched to 65 grs of RL22 in the hope of squeezing out a little more velocity (probably about 3,075fps MV). This has been shooting well. However, I have since purchased a 7mmSTW and will likely return to 4350 in the remmag.

Just my experience. Let me know when you settle on a load. I would be interested.

On a separate note, I have a friend who now lives in Park City. I would love to apply for an elk hunt in Utah next year. Probably a cow depending on the out-of-state tag cost. Any recommendations?

jdmason480,
Thanks for your input. I think I will try some 4350 as I have been using that in my 243 with great results.

As for the recommendation on Utah elk, if you want to hunt in the north, you will definetly want to put in for Deseret. If hunting in the south, your best bet would be Book Cliffs or Soldier Summit. Good luck.

Sky

Amen on the one do-it-all load.

160 AccuBond for sure and I understand the Imr7828 Short Cut is yielding increased velocity over the normal stuff with no pressure signs. I have yet to try it in my 7mm Weatherby Magnum but I intend to do so.

I feel 4350 is a bit fast for the highest vel. in the 7mag w/ 160gr bullets. I like RL22 & IMR7828. Vel. w/ 160gr bullets in my 26" bbl. were running right @ 3100fps, accuracy was 1moa or slightly better.

Back