Bolt action handguns

Dave-
prayers for strenght and healing, and for peace of mind for you and the ones you love. Look forward to hearing bout you shooting that hand cannon. CL

Hi Dave - Good LUCK with your health issues - I am pulling for you !

I just sold my Rem XP100 - it was a 7 MM BR that i rechambered to 7mm-08 - It had a HS Precision Stock with Aluminum bedding block - a trigger job down to 1 Lb - Anshultz Front Globe sight and a Bomar Rear sight ! I could shoot 5 shot 2-3 groups at 200 yards all day long with it ! I shot many a 40 out of 40 in steel shooting - IHMSA . RJ

Thanks again, the support from you all means, way more than you might imagine to me!

Cool Jim,
My XP started out life as a 7BR. I just bought as an investment as the price was very good. It wasn't really in the grand scheme of my plans for major use. It was just sitting in sight where it got nagging at me to shoot it. So I took it off the shelf, and shot it off to OTT for a rebuild, followed by the Pac-Nor SM-SS blank a few weeks later and OPS brake along with it. While waiting, bought the HS stock and got it painted. I still need to mount the Dewey trigger, which may help the grouping's some more possibily. I really need to get on it this spring, or sooner if more comfortable temps. come about. I look forward to seeing what the finalized load does beyond my available 800 yd range, if it is still stabile when near or at subsonic.
And then the PD's a bit later in the spring or early summer for more range to shoot at.

Prayers, buddy. Facing "other issues" myself and lost a loved one very close to me due to the Big C this past May.

Pulling for you!
GodBless
Steve

on the bolt guns, Ive had two xp-100s. One a R (repeater) in 260 Rem. Both did everything I can ask of them without pause.

That said, my M.O.A (falling block type) 6.5-284 is the one I should not of let go. Custom throughout, and a trigger to die for. Since built for long range handgun competition few will match them out of the box but then again, are custom builds.

IMG_0461.jpg

I do, however, know where it is......hmmmm. LOL

God Bless

350JR":oy8yayvp said:
Prayers, buddy. Facing "other issues" myself and lost a loved one very close to me due to the Big C this past May.

Pulling for you!
GodBless
Steve

on the bolt guns, Ive had two xp-100s. One a R (repeater) in 260 Rem. Both did everything I can ask of them without pause.

That said, my M.O.A (falling block type) 6.5-284 is the one I should not of let go. Custom throughout, and a trigger to die for. Since built for long range handgun competition few will match them out of the box but then again, are custom builds.

IMG_0461.jpg

T

I do, however, know where it is......hmmmm. LOL

God Bless

Thats a VERY KOOL gun there Pal - thks for the picture !

Cheers RJ

Thread's a little dated, but what the heck! I have a Savage Striker in .308. It wears Leupold FX-II 4x scope in their quick detach rings/bases. It is an absolute hoot to shoot! I haven't gotten to do much for load work yet on it, but it seems to run at about 1.5" with my sorry excuse for marksmanship. Theses really are a lot of fun and is one of my favorites to take to the range. I really wouldn't mind having one in 7-08 and 260, but with all the other toys I need on my wish list right now, I'm happy enough with the 308.

That's an awesome set up Robert. I wouldn't mind having one of those myself. Looks like a solid piece of gear. I like the scope on top.. Yeah, one of those in a 260 or 7-08 would be real slick..

I have flirted with bolt action pistols off and on over the years, my most accurate to date was a Savage Striker I re-barreled to .243 using a cut down Factory Savage rifle barrel.
009-1.jpg

I picked up an XP100 for a new project but it's currently just sitting in the safe as a bare action, going to be a switch barrel in .222 Magnum and either a .284 or a 7mm WSM not sure which one yet.
newxp001_zps219c6d23.jpg

I also like the break open guns,
004-7.jpg

Bob

Nice Guns Bob - I like them all ! :) How are you going to do a switch barrel on a XP100 using a small bolt face bolt for the 222 and then you will need a std face bolt for the 284 Win ? You will need to switch bolts too ! :?: You prob new that though :grin:

Cheers :) RJ

Rem Jim":1w7qmsrr said:
Nice Guns Bob - I like them all ! :) How are you going to do a switch barrel on a XP100 using a small bolt face bolt for the 222 and then you will need a std face bolt for the 284 Win ? You will need to switch bolts too ! :?: You prob new that though :grin:
Cheers :) RJ

Thank you! I have a plan for the bolt face issue,

XPproject001_zpsa732d267.jpg

I do need to get rid of that pesky J-lock on the one bolt. I'm seriously considering a barrel nut set up similar to the Savage. I have really come to love these specialty pistols!

I love that MOA too! I would love to make the "Cold Turkey" shoot sometime in the near future. I had a light gun in the back of my mind when I picked up the XP but there is some really stiff competition out there.

Charlie, My old man had a XP100 in his later years in 221 fireball. I never had a chance to shoot it but always wanted to, or at least tinker around with some bolt handgun. After he passed, my brother and I along with my dad's best friend were sorting out all his guns and gear and was terribly dismayed to find out he had sold it to a friend a year or two prior. 6 or 7 years later, I finally got around to snagging the Savage. Wish I had done so sooner.

meatmachineman,

I had a factory Striker .308 barrel that really loved the 165 grain Ballistic tip and IMR 3031 it would also zip the 125 grain BT out at an average velocity of 2895 fps with excellent accuracy. Sometimes I wish I would have kept it around. Enjoy!

Robert, I got to shoot a friends .221 Fireball in the XP100. It was really accurate and fun to shoot.

So sorry to hear about your health issues Dave. I wish you all the best.

To the OP, I have had a few Bolt Action Handguns over the years. First was back in 1982 and originally was a Remington XP-100 in 7mmBR. I was not set up to make the brass as was necessary in those days so I had it rechambered to 7mm IHMSA (.300 Savage necked down to 7mm). I hunted with it for a few years and then rebuilt it. A Buddy and I swapped bolts and mine ended up being a 6mm-223. With the 1 in 12" Twist Shilen Barrel it shot amazing with sub 1" groups at 200 yards being the norm.

I have had a couple Remington XP-100's in .223 one of which was the repeater version. ALl of the .223's shot quite well with 50gr. bullets but always left me wanting something different.

When Savage came out with their Striker I just had to have one. I bought a stainless version with the adjustable muzzle break in .243. I never could get that one to shoot so I sent it back to Savage and they tested it. Savage then replaced the barrel with a standard barrel without the adjustable muzzle break. This new barrel turned that Striker into a real shooter.

However wants and needs change and I much prefer the break open T/C's. I have had Contenders with factory and custom barrels in the following chamberings: .22 LR Match, .223, 6mm-223, 6mm T/CU, .250 Savage, 7-30 Waters, .30-30 Winchester, .30-30 Ackley Improved and .44 Magnum.

Larry

Back