Browning BLR?

Polaris

Handloader
Dec 16, 2009
Found one at LGS for a reasonable price in 7mm-08. I'd call it a semi-carbine barrel length. Looks like it would make a handy woods rifle with some reach if needed.

Wondering what folks know about these?

They are very good rifles and that is a great caliber. I also know that Scotty has one and likes it and that alone speaks well of a rifle

I have a BLR in 308. It wears a Leupold 2½-8x36 Vari-X III. With the 20" barrel I find it to be a very handy gun. Shoots like a bolt gun as far as accuracy too. Mine is a 2007 shot show gun that's mossy oak and stainless. Wish I would have bought the 358 they had at the time as well.

First generation Browning BLR here, built in Belgium. Steel receiver. It's "ours" - and I say "ours" because my dad bought it in the 1980's for wild boar hunting in California and did well. Then it showed up at my place. I have always liked it. Then my oldest son took possession... So, ya, it's "ours."

This old one differs a fair bit from the newer BLR's. This has a steel receiver and the magazine hangs lower. It's a good gun, a .308 Winchester. Frankly, I like it a lot! It's not my first choice for 300 yard shooting, but 200 - 250 yards... On pretty much any game in the lower 48... ya, I'd take it.

Utterly reliable. Reasonably accurate. Easy to carry & shoot. Ya, I like 'em.

Regards, Guy

I like the BLR. I've owned three (all in .358). All shot quite accurately. I've conducted load development for a handful of other BLRs chambered in WSM and a few other cartridges. All shot quite reasonable groups of selected ammunition.

My 358 is the same as Guy's rifle; great rifles. Mine shoots 1" groups. The newer version that I had bought from DrMike, which he now owns again will shoot 1/3" groups. A few years ago one of the gunwriters took a BC mtn goat at 600 yards with T/D BLR in 300 WSM. So yes, they will shoot! A 7-08 would be a great rifle; I would grab it if you can!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pistol grip or straight stock? I believe all 7-08's had 20" barrels. Much more than a "woods" rifle in either case. I have 2 and love them both. First was a LW '81 in 358W and then a LW w/ PG in 300WSM. While they are the same action to me they are very different in handling. They are both moa or better for three shots out to 200yds (as far as I've shot them on paper) with hunting loads. Easy on the carry, quick to shoulder and excellent for a scabbard. Many bolt gunners complain about the trigger and long lock time, lever gunners because they are not "traditional" and both about the shiny wood finish.To me a lot of it is trying to find reasons to not like it instead of judging it on its merits. They are great hunting rifles. If they fit you, you likely won't be disappointed.

The 7-08 does just fine in a 20" barrel. I've got 7-08s in 18" and a 20' bbl. and haven't noticed any dramatic loss of velocity over published numbers. It's a very efficient cartridge, especially with modern powders.

A BLR in that cartridge would be pretty cool.

I am at work but a couple of fellows ask me to respond to this thread. To be honest I am not sure why as more than a dozen gentlemen on this forum have more knowledge than I and will be able to give you a better answer.

I have the 348 in both Win and Browning and if there is a different I would say the Win seems "smoother" but the Browning feels "tighter". I have a Browning in the 7mmWSM that I use a lot, in conjunction with the Win 348. I have zero complaints about the browning blr rifles. The 71, original and copy are both rifles best used, IMHO, without scopes, and since that is my preference, it works for me.

As stated by Hodgeman and others a 7mm-08 in a BLR would work very nicely and NOT just in the woods. I personally use my 7mmWSM more on the ice than in the woods

Earle, due to shortage of time, I will answer you here. Thank you for your reply, it was not a big thing, but I always keep my rifle closer to me when on the snowmobile or dog sled, but understood why you did what you did, thank you. As to your other post, I dont know who Alice Eve is, but if I had to guess she is a Kate Upton clone, so from a man's point of view, I see no negative LOL

As often happens, when I find something I really "need," something else I NEED, like wheel bearings in my truck comes up.

The rifle is at Cabela's in Rogers MN, priced at $499. Bore is great, functional parts great. Some blueing wear and light wear on the wood, otherwise very tight rifle. I'm out, but if you live near a Cabelas, you could score one at a pretty reasonable price. Haven't seen any BLR for under $600 lately. I'm out.

Guess I am with Cheyenne on this one, have a couple of friends who own BLRs, couple of 358s
A 708 and 308 they are all nice. Like Cheyenne suggests this sorta firearm ,seams to be very suited to being scope less.......... IMHO.......
I have used the.358 a few times and did not find it to be balanced as nicely ,as I thought the Sav 99 was but that's just a personal thing.Great little guns though in some excellent calibers!

I have actually owned the same BLR in a 308win on 2 different occasions but sold it because I was not happy with the performance :oops:. However since becoming more of a gun crank I realized that it was me loading for it and not using bullets that would have made it everything I would have needed.
If a 308win in the BLR was available at a decent price I would not hesitate in the least to pick it up, in fact this spring I may be able to secure a 358 in the BLR (y).

Blessings,
Dan

I just looked at a new BLR Rocky mt. elk foundation rifle in .270 win. at my gun shop, he is asking $950, does anyone know if that is agood price? I also have a 30 year old BLR in .257 Roberts.

Not sure on the price of the RMEF in the US...

Is your 257 Bob a Belgian? Must be fun to hunt with!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only difference in the RMEF BLRs is engraving. I don't know what year that was produced. I believe they are LW '81s. The current MSRP is $1020. I would put no extra value on "special edition" myself. The advantage is you can handle & inspect it vice ordering one. Keep in mind the 270, 30-06, 7RM & 300WM are all obviously long actions. A different animal than the short action BLR as far as handling and balance.

Blkram, the 257 is Japan made, I bought it used for my daughter when she was 12, she is now 40 and shoots a 270 Wby.

I first handled one at LL Bean in Freeport 15 years ago. I really enjoyed the mechanical working of the BLR. They aren't all that popular around here, most people shoot long range and don't associate a lever gun with that. I happened to trade into one chambered in 7 Rem Mag a few years ago. It has just been occupying space here as I haven't even shot it.

You may be pleasantly surprised when you at last shoot that BLR. They can produce some very fine accuracy.

Back