Cartridges you will never be without.

gerry

Ammo Smith
Mar 1, 2007
I was thinking about this lately and was wondering what your list of favorite cartridges would be, the ones you will keep til your days are done.

For me it's easy the 260 Remington and 35 Whelen. With bullets weighing 85-160 gr the 260 is quite versatile (mice to moose), in a good gun very accurate and has mild recoil. You can say much the same about the 35 Whelen, bullets range from 180-310 gr, it's very accurate, has mild recoil for a bigger caliber but the animals don't think it's mild at all. These two could handle anything I would want to do.

How about you?

Well I think everyone knows my first is the 270 win, and next would be the 35 Whelen I think :wink: . If I ever get to see it.

Blessings,
Dan

The .280 Remington makes my list. Likely, my .356 now fills that bills as well, though the .358 vies strongly for that place in my heart. However, the lever gun has a slight edge at the moment. Tomorrow? Who knows?

The .257 Bob, 7mm Rem Mag, .30-06 and .340 Bee. I could do just fine with both the .270 and the .338 Federal as a 2-gun battery for my purposes, as a matter of naked, raw truth, sputtered in a weakened moment vefore coffee!

My never be without list is as follows

.22 Long Rifle. Had one since the mid 50"s.
Colt 45 ACP Realtively new
.300 Win Mag. Since 1970

How thoughtless of me. I surely should have included a .22 lr in the list. Can anyone really do without this classic cartridge?

Got to have a 22 lr and I've had my 7mm rem mag since I was 14 so I can't live with out that one.

...I imagine for most of us a .22lr is like a pocket knife, just so much a part of us we don't obsess w/ 'em like we do w/ ballistics, performance, capabilities of centerfires. A .22 does what it does...

...7mm RM, performance in a manageable package, bought my first one 37yrs. ago, used it almost exclusively for 30yrs+ for a couple moose, 17 bears, couple doz+ elk, & a bunch of deer...
...300 WSM, more of the same when it comes to manageable performance...
...325 WSM, more energy, less felt recoil, good clean fun, a capable, shootable 500M round, but a little on the side of "over-kill" for medium game...
...a QuarterBore of some sort, probably in a "walking varmint" configuration, just because I've had a passion for .25's for 40yrs., not because they're that much better than a .243 or because they're just as good as a 6.5, just because they're a .25...

My sacred ones are 17HMR, 308, 325WSM. Everything else is icing on the cake - boy do I love the icing!

Scott

The 22lr, 6BR (maybe my .243AI too), .30-8mm , .338 Baer, .375-.358STA, and .416 Rem. There aren't many in my safe I would part with but those are the ones I'd definitely keep.

I'm not up for giving up any of my current stable of rifles. But, as for the ones I know I can reach for and count on, it's pretty easy:

22lr J.C. Higgins bolt gun - This one is actually my son's, as my dad left it to him when he passed. It was my dad's first gun, the first I ever shot, and my son's first, too. Iron sights, and still makes about a soup-can size group at 50yds.

243Win - I currently own this in a Browning BAR. It was my dad's, and I love it. But, I'd like a heavy barrel bolt gun for coyotes, range fun, and deer when I'm sitting in a stand/shooting house. Definitely not for stalking!

270Wby Mark V - This is easily my favorite rifle. It's light enough to carry a lot, it's accurate beyond belief (sub-half-moa out to 300yds so far) and it has enough punch for anything I want to shoot. It will go to Africa with me if I ever get the chance. It's my "all around, do anything" rifle.

30-30WCF Win94 - This is the first rifle I ever bought, and it's been my deer rifle for about 30yrs now. There's just not much better for stalking around the woods here east of the Mississippi River.

30-06 Colt Light Rifle - This one I love because it's lightweight, easy to get ammo, easy to shoot, and just works so well on everything from small to medium to large. What's not to love?

I have others, and surprisingly, my 300Wby didn't make this list when I really started thinking about it. It would definitely be the next one on the list if I went longer. I love all my guns, but the reality is, there's a lot of overlap and redundancy. Of course, I don't really care about that. I think I need one of everything, and two of some.

I would never be without:

A good 22lr
22-250
257 Rob
280 Rem!!! DAH :roll:
45ACP
A good 12ga
A good 20ga

Lets see - I would have to have a 22LR - a 22-250 Rem - 6mm Rem - 7mm Rem mag -338 Win Mag and 45-70 Gov !
That the min i could have and still live ! :grin: LOL

Cheers RJ :grin:

Back