Custom barrel - what you get

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Time to time I get asked what it is that I'm paying for when I get a top-notch custom barrel, that often times costs as much as a new rifle by the time it's chambered, cut, crowned and installed. This video from Dan Lilja, a custom barrel maker, explains it better than I can:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf9zZqn0 ... r_embedded

Regards, Guy

I hope Pac-Nor does my 338-06AI justice! :grin: Getting ready to send my rifle off to them for that conversion from my 30-06.

You get what you pay for. Thanks for posting this link, Guy.

You can request a video of your barrel bore when ordering one from Lilja.

I hope Pac-Nor does my 338-06AI justice! Very Happy Getting ready to send my rifle off to them for that conversion from my 30-06.

Not sure about their work but I can attest to the quality of their barrel. I have one of their 3 grove in my 308 and it's a hammer.

5 shot at 110 yards with 155 grain Scenar

IMGP1895.jpg

10 shot at 110 yards with 168 grain Nosler Comp

IMGP1990.jpg

Another 5 shot group at 110 yards ( right)

shoot3-22011.jpg

DF,

That is a pretty good testimony of the quality of their product. There is some fine shooting demonstrated there.

When I was having the .260 built I requested a Lilja barrel - after the fiasco who knows what ended up on it, but it's a shooter.

Interesting. I'm hoping Pac Nor does a great job as well. My 24", #4 fluted, three groove in 280 AI is four to five weeks out they say. Can't wait!

I just wish Lilja installed them. I'm thinking about having my 223 WSSM done up by either Hart or Pac-Nor because they install it.

My 280 AI has a Hart 24" #5 fluted barrel.
Very accurate and easy to clean.

JD338

A quick update.....I decided to go with the standard .338-06 and not the Ackley. I figured that if I ever decided to sell it I would have a larger market with the commercial version over the wildcat version.

Besides, the ballistics on the A-Square version look pretty dang impressive and should meet my needs plenty. :grin:

Good choice, Scott. I was really torn between the 338-06 and the 9.3 X 64 for my current project. My hunting partner carries a 338-06, and it is a great round. I like the Whelen, but the 338-06 has perhaps even more to recommend it. You are correct that the data presented in the literature does make it attractive.

I had a 338-06 for several years, killed two elk with it. Great round loved it, rifle did not preform consistently so I sold it and built my 35 Whelen. Love it also but no blood. :grin:

I went with a PacNor Stainless Supermatch-grade #5 blank barrel. My gunsmith cut down to 24", bored to a 338-06 Ackley Improved, crowned, fluted and powdercoated. Only comp0laint was a cosmetic mistake but its ok. Still looks and shoots great.

Love the rifle !!!! Need to initiate it on a Bull Moose I was drawn for this year as no Bull Elk last year. If no moose, then hopefully an elk.

Penny, from PacNor, called me today and they are starting work on my rifle. I went with a 23" stainless super match grade barrel, 5 groove rifling, recessed flat crown, with 1:10 twist. They will choose the largest barrel that will fit my Ruger M77 factory wood stock and go from there on the dimensions and contouring.

Had a 378 bee mag from pac-nor. 1.5" at 300 yards with 270 failsafes!

Lilja 260 with a Pac Nor 22-250 on the way. Hope it is as good as many on the "boards" say theirs is.

After a long wait, My Cooper Jackson Hunter 338-06 is being shipped. Looking forward to using it this fall. Now to decide what scope will sit on top. Those of you with 338-06 rifles, what bullet do you like to use? I am starting with the 210g PT.

Steve

My hunting partner uses the 200 grain AB to very good effect in his 338-06. However, there is nothing wrong with the 210 PT. You will be well-served with that bullet.

Thank you Guy, I loved Dan's video. He did a barrel for me on one of my 30-06 Ackley Improved rifles and it always shot extremely well. That video says it all. If we get a factory barrel that shoots consistently and cleans up very easy, we just got lucky, that is all there is to it.

YakAk -
I have a Sako Finnbear (hunter model) that was converted from a 7X 64 Brenneke to a 338-06 about 15 years ago. It loves the 210PT bullet. The load that works well is not "smoking hot", but is very accurate: 30-06 Nosler brass, 53.5 grains of R15, Federal 210M primers, OAL is 3.42. Only critter that I have shot that will come close to what you have in Alaska was a Canadian moose in 2007. That combo dropped the bull where he stood (right next to the river :grin: ).

Back