Disappointment with 6.5 accubonds

2ndtimer

Handloader
Sep 26, 2004
:( Finally tried some of the new 6.5 Accubonds in my Howa 6.5x55 and was very disappointed in the performance. I don't know if it is the twist rate or that my rifle won't shoot any kind of boat tail bullet, but my groups were horrible. The frustrating thing is that it will shoot reasonably well with flat base Hornady 129 and 140 gr bullets as well as the flat base Sierra 160 gr round nose. It doesn't like any bullets at all if they weigh under 120 gr. I was really hoping the new AccuBond would be a winner in my 6.5x55, as the 140 gr in my .270WSM is awesome. Any suggestions, or should I just "bite the bullet" (pun intended) and load the silly bullets from the red box?

Do you know what the twist is in your barrel?

What load and velocity did you try?
Maybe a faster load might work.

JD338

I believe my Howa has a 1 in 9" twist. I believe the 1 in 8" is preferred in the 6.5x55. The strange part is that it shoots the heavier bullets better than the lighter ones. If I am correct about the twist rate, shouldn't it shoot the lighter bullets better, and struggle with the heavier ones?
As for velocity, I didn't chrono my AccuBond loads, but similar loads with the same powder and the Hornady 129 gr bullet clock between 2500 and 2600 fps. Apparently I have a "slow" 22 inch barrel on my Howa, to go with its' very long throat. I can seat the 120 gr Sierra BTMK out to 3.18" and not touch the rifling. One thing I am going to try is the Lee factory crimp die. A post on another forum claimed using it really improved the accuracy of his long throated 6.5x55. Maybe the crimp would help the combustion to be more consistent. Who knows? I have one of those dies coming on Tuesday so I can at least try it and see if it helps.
As a die hard Nosler fan, it pains me to have to resort to "brand X" to get decent groups. And I hate to have to resort to Partitions at a pedestrian 2500 fps. That seems like a waste, too. A standard cup and core bullet should work fine at 6.5x55 speeds. Hopefully Shooters Pro Shop will get some more 6.5 Partitions in stock soon, in case I have to try them.

What powder or powders are you using? You should be able to get closer to 2700fps with 140's in a modern action like your Howa.

h4350 and the lee crimp die fixed my 6.5x55 swedish mauser using 120gr ballistic tips ymmv

Thanks for the replies. I will try the loads referenced with RL-19 and IMR-4350 as I have some of both powders on hand. I should be able to try the Lee factory crimp die this weekend with my 120 gr Ballistic Tips as well as the AccuBond. I will be surprised if it makes a big difference, but then I like the good surprises. I will be very surprised if I can approach the velocities that Nosler shows for the AccuBond in my slow barrel Howa. If these struggles continue, I may have to consider a new rifle or barrel....

If you have some R-22 around, give it a try as well. It is a very popular powder for the 6.5x55.

I do have some RL-22 on hand, a bit of it, anyway. The powder I tried with the AccuBond was Accurate Data 86, a slow burning extruded powder with a rate between AA-4350 and AA-3100, leaning more toward 3100. It has worked well with the Hornady bullets, as well as in my .243 and .270WSM. I am hoping I can make it shoot with the AccuBond, since I till have over 20 lbs of it. (When you can get versatile powder for less than $10 a pound, in bulk, I try to get a good supply :mrgreen: )
I am still curious to see if the Lee Factory Crimp die will help. I will also dutifully try other powders that have worked okay in the past. IMR-4064 has given some good groups with the Hornady bullets, so I will try some of that, too.

2ndtimer":3qhsa61z said:
I do have some RL-22 on hand, a bit of it, anyway. The powder I tried with the AccuBond was Accurate Data 86, a slow burning extruded powder with a rate between AA-4350 and AA-3100, leaning more toward 3100. o.

I use DP 86 in both my Swedes. Win M70 Featherweight and CZ 550 FS.
It works Great with 140gr Partition I have not tried it with the lighter bullets. What's the load you are using?

Win M70, 140gr Partition, 47gr DP86, Fed 215M, 3 shot group @100 yards, 2743-2764-2735fps.

IMG_0362.jpg

Cz 550 FS 20.5in barrel, 140gr Partition, 47gr DP86, Fed 215M Primer, 3 shot group @100, 2693-2735-2712fps.
IMG_0520.jpg

Steve, I was loading 45.0 gr with the 140 gr Hornady to an OAL of 3.15". What kind of COL are you loading with your Swedes? I tried 46.0 gr of Data 86, but thought maybe it was high. Maybe I should try some with 47.0 gr. I have loaded the 129 gr Hornady with up to 48.0 gr of Data 86 which chronographed at 2623 fps in 45° temperatures. I also noticed you are using Magnum primers. Did you try any loads with standard primers and did switching to magnum caps improve your groups? Appreciate the feedback. It is rare to encounter another user of Accurate's Data 86, which I think was a steal from Powder Valley.

In the Win M70 I am .005 off the lands @3.124in. In the CZ I am .010 off the lands @3.101in. I have to seat the bullet off .005 or less in my Win or my groups go south. My CZ is a different story, It shoots great no matter wear I seat the bullet.

I started with Mag primers, I have a bunch of rounds loaded up and ready to test with 210M's, but I haven't had a chance to shoot em.

47.3gr is Max in my Win M70, 47.6 is Max in my CZ. Work up slow.

I am shooting them out of a .264 Win Mag. The current bunch I have loaded is 3139fps with a load that is actualy on the cold side but shooting consistent .75" groups. Good luck with them. reflex264

Back