DMPS LO-PRO

onesonek

Handloader
Apr 4, 2008
This isn't something that normally interest me,but we all know the times we live in,,, me included.

Anyhow my oldest son went to the local gun shop,,,not quite so local being north in the next county. Got there and the doors were locked with an opening time that had past, and a lot full of vehicles and people in side. Finally some came out and he was let in. Seems a scirmish broke out yesterday over a particular firearm. They would have been busy I knew with whats happening, but that hadn't entered my mind. Oh well, that isn't the main story of the post.
He purposely went to get an AR type of weapon, and all this store carries in any quanity is DMPS's. In talking with Steve the owner, Matt learned of the fight, and also the AR situation.
No known time of replacement orders for the store. So I told Matt to put a down on one, and to tell Steve I would be up shortly.

Steve is a shrewd one, and seeing the writting on the wall with the first BO election shortages, had brought in a fair number of the DMPS's in various models the first shipment after the election. Most stores in the area, even in Sioux Falls SD only were carrying 50 or 60 AR's on hand (according to them), and currently out of stock with Matt calling around. I'm not sure what Steve started out with, but told Matt he had about 550 in stock at the begining of the week. When Matt got his, Steve said "that leaves me with 92 left". And also said yesterday was his best day ever.,,,,,,Matt called and I said "drop it another one, I' ll take one" :lol:

Now this store has pretty good business and does draw from a ways out, but that sort of set me back some, where the county seat is about a thousand people and pretty much in the middle of nowhere! However, not all suprising in light of the current affairs.

Looks like the POTUS is going to be the gun salesman of the year again.

JD338

It might be time to pick up another one for me. I'd cash in some of my savings but who knows if the government will shut down my pay will stop. One thing is for certain, we have an uncertain future.

I appreciate the input on the above sight options, any more sure would also be appreciated.
This platform is a bit out of my realm.
Thanks

I've seen DPMS rifles do well in competition. Am I correct that yours has no sights at all?

Kind of depends on what you want to do with your rifle. If it's for "CQB" Close Quarter Battle type stuff - action shooting at fairly modest ranges, then something like the EOTech, or Aimpoint red-dot sights are GREAT! It's amazing how fast it is to get on target and make good shots with the EOTech.

With such a rifle though, I'd be sure to add a set of flip up front and rear sights. Always nice to have "iron" sights for backup, in case the red dot sight fails. The EOTech though, is one heck of a rugged sight. I've only had to send one back to EOTech for service, the others on our SWAT rifles have held up incredibly well, through rough treatment and harsh conditions.

If you want to use a scope - be aware that standard scopes usually need to be mounted a little higher and farther ahead to get the proper eye relief.

AR-15's can be very accurate and are commonly used in competition. Here is a link to a good article on handloading for the .223/5.56: http://www.6mmbr.com/223Rem.html

Regards, Guy

Here's a fascinating article that just came out: http://cnsnews.com/blog/gregory-gwy...s-more-three-years-worth-magazines-just-three. Brownells sold in three hours a volume of PMags equivalent to what would normally be sold in 3.5 years! On the Sinclair International site, a disclaimer is posted at the entry page: "Due to extreme volumes, and winter storms, order shipment may be delayed. Thank you for your patience." Of course, the same disclaimer is posted on Brownells and the Police Store.

Good grab Dave. The fellers are right, an Aimpoint or Eotech is a great optic for the rifles and very fast. Also, you can still engage targets to 300 meters with excellent accuracy. Don't let the red dot fool you, with a 2MOA dot, it is a very good piece of kit. A magnifier on the back makes it even more versatile.

I have had a Millett 1x4 DMS on my DPMS set up for competition for several years. No issues and its still pretty fast. You can get them for a little over $200 on sale.

I suggest you pick up the book "Green Eyes and Black Rifles" by SGM Kyle Lamb (RET). That book will help you decide exactly what sights you want to put on it. It will also provide valuable insight on the kind of training you should do with your new toy.

Helpful hint though, if you decide to try to shoot over a hood, go to a junkyard and pick up a hood and build a frame and shoot that one up. It's far better than putting a few rounds into your EFI system or carburetor.

Thanks again guys.
Well, my thoughts initially on a rifle that wasn't in the budget anyhow,,,,,was budget minded accessories. But then, I don't want to go on the cheap,,,,just goes against the grain for me.
With that initial thought, I thought was a reddot would best suit my wants, as a short to modest range application.
Then too, I worried about the electronics end of it. I totally agree on the irons sight option if all else fails or they just plain are more suited at the time, also on the height issues regardless of optic's system used. In the long run, I will like have the option of all three on hand. While I like the Eotec's, I'm more sold on the Aimpoints battery life. Even if it be the current choice of the more entery level priced unit of the Aimpoint PRO. Yes I would like to spend twice that on their higher end units, but think it will suffice, and allow more funds for the irons, and scope addition should I need to put it into a longer range system. I haven't researched the irons that much as yet. For the scope, while not an expensive one, I do like the sound of the Nikon P-223,,,that could change by the time funds allow however. For now, the irons along with the Aimpoint PRO are my first priority.

Didn't mean for this to stray into the optics end or other thoughts so much. For the most part it, is a just cuz rifle. I prefer just to use it for practice and play, more than anything. But like Scotty mentioned in part, with a 2 moa dot, I really don't see the use of this this much beyond 300 meters, more in the close quarters to 1-200 meters, be about it. I have others I would use first beyond that range. The scope would be more a backup system. In time it will all come together, but just going with first instincts on priorities for it.

Dave -
Check out Snipers Hide for used Eotech and Aimpoints. There are usually a few for sale there at reasonable prices compared to new. A lot of the young guys on that site are constantly upgrading to the latest and greatest gizmo for their black rifles, so you can pick up quality for good prices.

I'll do that and see what may be about! Never gave that aspect much thought,,,, Thanks!!!

I got an ACOG on mine with back up iron sights. Its tough to beat that. I can pull the glass off in 15 seconds if something isn't right. It a 4X with no batteries to change and such. It's about perfect out to 300 yards or so after that it gets hard to pick varmints out. But at the same time it's great for up close. Easy to track moving targets and accurate. The best part is you can pull it off and put it back on and no change in zero. I've seen some pretty reasonable on Sample List.

nvbroncrider":1nbeuqh0 said:
I got an ACOG on mine with back up iron sights. Its tough to beat that. I can pull the glass off in 15 seconds if something isn't right. It a 4X with no batteries to change and such. It's about perfect out to 300 yards or so after that it gets hard to pick varmints out. But at the same time it's great for up close. Easy to track moving targets and accurate. The best part is you can pull it off and put it back on and no change in zero. I've seen some pretty reasonable on Sample List.

Thanks man,, I had looked at those too. Unfortunately at this point, even a good used one is a tad out of my budget thoughts.

Back